Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went to the Dog Park with a friend of ours, she has a Pit/Boxer/AmBull... or something, we don't know lol. And of course before we even went in the gate someone freaked out and pulled out their small mixed breed dog. Apparently her Lab got attacked by a Pit and she is afraid of the entire breed. Poor little Mya was too afraid to even go in the park, there were 2 Huskies and another larger breed dog, so we went to the playground so my friends son could swing. We got bunches of comments on how our dogs were so pretty. By the time we got back we had free run of the park!!!! YAY!!! We played Tag... for like 2 minutes... we couldn't keep up with the 6 year old! lol Or the Dogs, we were dripping sweat, it was gross!!!

The Puppies got Tuckered out. lol

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Cute pictures. Be careful no one sneaks in on you when your there, could be a tragedy waiting to happen. Also, so many diseases in dog parks that the pups could pick up, so be extra careful.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah a new dog came in and we immediately put the big dogs on leash so we could have control of the situation. We were hoping to Socialize them... but I guess we will have to find a different way to. They did great meeting the one dog (Who I think his owners just came to the Dog Park to let him go to the bathroom and then left lol)

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Yeah a new dog came in and we immediately put the big dogs on leash so we could have control of the situation. We were hoping to Socialize them... but I guess we will have to find a different way to. They did great meeting the one dog (Who I think his owners just came to the Dog Park to let him go to the bathroom and then left lol)
http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/38109-socializing.html (link) Socializing and playing are two completely different concepts, even under a leashed setting these dogs do not belong in a dog park, even setting the high risk of fights aside diseases are also a high risk. No point in risking it.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
IMO thats alot more than just an opinion its a warning :)

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Thanks for the opinion...
No offense to you, im not trying to talk down on your or anything but its not opinion. Socializing has nothing to do with bringing your pups to a dog park or being able to play with a group of dogs. This is what i consider "new aged" theory. If you have more than one dog it can be important for you and your dogs to all get along, especially if you are needing a pack to hunt lets say. However with these dogs, the "pack mentality" does not come natural and heavy training can prove useful however you can never fully trust an APBT (or pet bull, american bully, etc) not to fight. I have never met any APBT, mix or "variation" (pet bull for instance) that did not eventually have DA in some degree.

Many people think the way you do, its misguided. Again, im not trying to run you off or make you feel lousy but to dismiss this as opinion is only setting your dogs up for failure... When it comes to socializing its true across the board no matter what breed we are talking about, however with dog parks, while i would NEVER recommend them for any breed this is a "law" we should all follow. By law not meaning government but by being responsible.

If you chose to continue, i can't stop you however that doesn't mean i can't try to give you proper information. I've been around this breed (and other working breeds) all my life, not once did anyone that believed they were the exception prove me wrong in what i tried to tell them.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its okay to go to Shows and Events where there will be tons of the same sort of breed... but not to a dog park that is completely empty.

My dog didn't want to go in when there were already dogs there... and I didn't make her. But since it was empty when we came back we took the opportunity. It was getting late and we weren't going to be there long but wanted the dogs to play. My dogs don't get out often because I don't live in the best neighborhood... or rather trailerhood, and Mya is a horrible guard dog. But if it makes y'all feel like you've done something, I won't go to another empty dog park.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
When it comes to socializing its true across the board no matter what breed we are talking about, however with dog parks, while i would NEVER recommend them for any breed this is a "law" we should all follow. By law not meaning government but by being responsible.

If you chose to continue, i can't stop you however that doesn't mean i can't try to give you proper information.
:goodpost: Love the wording...

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Its okay to go to Shows and Events where there will be tons of the same sort of breed... but not to a dog park that is completely empty.

My dog didn't want to go in when there were already dogs there... and I didn't make her. But since it was empty when we came back we took the opportunity. It was getting late and we weren't going to be there long but wanted the dogs to play. My dogs don't get out often because I don't live in the best neighborhood... or rather trailerhood, and Mya is a horrible guard dog. But if it makes y'all feel like you've done something, I won't go to another empty dog park.
Again, diseases are also there. Intestinal parasites, Fungal infections, (blastomycosis, histoplasmosis, cryptococcosis, coccidioidomycosis, etc.) External parasites, (ticks, fleas and mange) Parvo, etc can all be present at dog parks. You are trusting that everyone else using that dog park at any given time is up to date on their shots, not bringing any sick pups or dogs there.
Also, if your dogs are out running while its empty and someone else decides to bring their Lab (lets just say) that also happens to be dominate by nature. You are unable to catch your dogs in time they run up for a "friendly greet" then bam, "it" happens. Now guess who gets blamed? Doesn't matter what you can prove the fact is your dogs will be labeled as a "Aggressive Pit Bull" and more than likely PTS and even BSL raised. All could have been avoided if you just didn't go.

As i said before, you can do what you wish you feed your dogs, take care of them and pay all their bills i don't. All i'm trying to do is give you an opportunity to see where an experienced owner is coming from and teach you how this can be troublesome. However if you refuse to learn, or take it in for what ever reason at the end of the day its not really my "problem". I'm trying to help you and your dogs, educate though its up to you as far as what you chose to do with it.

Reactions: PatienceFlame

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
There are just too many unknown factors and too many of those you can't control, as great as dog parks are in theory they really just don't work. Any every dog forum has horror stories in the threads and almost all the vast majority are against them. Too many people (not saying you are one of them, btw) take the easy way out and that is their dogs main "exercise" for the week. I'm sure you do other things as well so please don't get me wrong but just because you do doesn't mean you can control another persons _____ dog from being so overly excited to actually get out of the house that something goes wrong.. And thats looking at it from not a breed or illness perspective as i've already mentioned that quite a bit.. Just one more reason.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts

There are no loose dogs running around or interacting at any show I've been to. And even then I've seen a few accidental scraps when dogs get too close at shows.

What KM is telling you is right and the link that ames posted is a good thread. The fact that the lady you spoke to when you first got there told you her dog had been attacked by a pit bull should tell you something. Better safe than sorry.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I see where you're coming from... but I know my dog. She runs from cats. If a fight does happen it will be hard to blame the dog that will be the one cowering on the ground with wounds on her backside.

But thanks for turning this thread into a "Lets Flame the new chick for letting her dogs go to a dog park ONCE"

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I see where you're coming from... but I know my dog. She runs from cats. If a fight does happen it will be hard to blame the dog that will be the one cowering on the ground with wounds on her backside.

But thanks for turning this thread into a "Lets Flame the new chick for letting her dogs go to a dog park ONCE"
I didn't see any flaming at all. What I did see is advice. But hey, you know your dog so it's all good, I suppose.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts

I'm sorry but thats how EVERYONE thinks thats new to this breed, oh he/she wont hurt a fly, they are always submissive. We are not flaming you and in most (if not all) of my posts i have told you i mean no offense or to push you away however to just "ignore" something like this i wouldn't be doing my part on this community.

Take it for how you wish and i do hope you stay (and not run off) as you can learn a great deal from being here, not to say you are "ignorant" as everyone can learn something at some point..No one knows everything the world has to offer. Just read what we have spoke, when you have time read the links provided and use best judgement with the information provided here.

In the end i would just hate for someone to make the same mistake countless others have in the past and currently still do with all the information out there now in days.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Got it. I'll just find some other way to let my dogs have fun

And don't worry I'm not going to run off because of this. Little Miss Akasha is the first Puppy that I've had for more than a month. The information gained for her benefit outweighs this little argument.

Like Knuckling Over. I'd never heard of it before I came here and now I'm deathly afraid Akasha will develop it so I keep checking her legs. And helping with Mya's apparent Allergy has helped a ton too.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Got it. I'll just find some other way to let my dogs have fun
I go to places that don't have off leash dogs frequent. (although there are few and far in between with so many irresponsible owners) Like baseball fields, tennis courts or basketball courts. Places that are fenced in but not actual dog parks. you might still have others who go there with dogs, so you ALWAYS have to be aware and on guard. My dogs DA kicked in at 9 months when a dog ran up to him when I could not get the owners attention to recall their dog and he reacted. It can kick in from 10 months to 3 years, but you can NEVER really tell. It could happen at ANY age.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've only had Mya getting some good exercise in one other time. But it was hiking up a mountain and it was sooo physically demanding for me... lol. But I think we might do it next weekend. I'm still new to the area and not entirely sure where there are parks and dog friendly areas. Well parks in the not so bad areas are.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Great pics!! I love the little blue and white pup ;) Try not to get offended when people point this stuff out to you ;) You have to have a thick skin owning this breed and always be prepared for the unexpected. You have 2 pits and/or pit mixes?? Do you have crates? At some point you may have to crate and rotate them. These dogs were bred to fight so don't always expect your dogs to get along with eachother as they grow and mature. Others who have been on here started out with that mentality and ended up coming home to a blood bath and a dead dog. Just take precautions and you will be okay. Plus, you have GP and all of us to help you through and be the best owner you can possibly be :)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts