Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy do I feel like crap.

I adopted a buddy for Cooper about a month and a half ago, named Jake. Not sure of his breed, but I believe he is a black mouth Cur mix.

He and Cooper got along great, wrestling and messing around often. They would run in the backyard chasing each other which I loved. I could also see he is somewhat obedient, and learned to wait for his food. He would also go right into his cage when needed.

However, he was completely unwalkable. As soon as I would take him outside, he would perk up and prepare to kill anything that moved. He would lunge and very aggressively bark at anything, hair standing up on the back and all. He would also do the same thing when I took him out for a drive. Very aggressive barking and lunging.

He would also refuse to let himself out the back door. I have a storm door with the doggie door in it which he refused to use on his own. If I opened the flap, he would walk through but would not do it himself. I tried treats, positive reinforcement, but he just wouldn't go on his own.

He would also pee often in the house despite being potty trained. I would let him out throughout the day, but yet would still find little trails of pee. I have had my couch, area rug, bed all peed on.

The latest incident which was the last straw was yesterday. They were outside running around and getting a bit muddy in the process. So when they came inside, I would wipe their paws off. Cooper had no problems with this but Jake completely flipped out and almost bit me in the face. I'm not sure why he felt the need to get all tense and nervous, but he did not want his paws touched this time.

I finally decided that was enough and had to return him to the shelter yesterday. I initially decided he was going to be a foster and I would keep him until we found him a new home. But yesterday's incident really scared me and I just couldn't stand for that type of behavior.

Besides putting a dog down, I can't think of a worse thing to do. I sincerely believe he is a good dog and has the potential to be a great dog to someone. But he obviously has behavioral issues which I do not know how to correct and frankly am unsure if I can devote the time to rehabilitate him.

I offered to pay for the adoption fee for anyone else interested in him. And I have sent pics and videos of him to the director of the shelter in hopes he can find the right home.

Did I overreact? Did I do the right thing? I hate the idea of him back at the shelter and want him to be happy. It obviously is weighing heavily on my mind and I want to help where/when I can.

Thanks in advance for the help and advice!

·
Super Moderator
4,616 Posts
Boy do I feel like crap.

I adopted a buddy for Cooper about a month and a half ago, named Jake. Not sure of his breed, but I believe he is a black mouth Cur mix.

He and Cooper got along great, wrestling and messing around often. They would run in the backyard chasing each other which I loved. I could also see he is somewhat obedient, and learned to wait for his food. He would also go right into his cage when needed.

However, he was completely unwalkable. As soon as I would take him outside, he would perk up and prepare to kill anything that moved. He would lunge and very aggressively bark at anything, hair standing up on the back and all. He would also do the same thing when I took him out for a drive. Very aggressive barking and lunging.

He would also refuse to let himself out the back door. I have a storm door with the doggie door in it which he refused to use on his own. If I opened the flap, he would walk through but would not do it himself. I tried treats, positive reinforcement, but he just wouldn't go on his own.

He would also pee often in the house despite being potty trained. I would let him out throughout the day, but yet would still find little trails of pee. I have had my couch, area rug, bed all peed on.

The latest incident which was the last straw was yesterday. They were outside running around and getting a bit muddy in the process. So when they came inside, I would wipe their paws off. Cooper had no problems with this but Jake completely flipped out and almost bit me in the face. I'm not sure why he felt the need to get all tense and nervous, but he did not want his paws touched this time.

I finally decided that was enough and had to return him to the shelter yesterday. I initially decided he was going to be a foster and I would keep him until we found him a new home. But yesterday's incident really scared me and I just couldn't stand for that type of behavior.

Besides putting a dog down, I can't think of a worse thing to do. I sincerely believe he is a good dog and has the potential to be a great dog to someone. But he obviously has behavioral issues which I do not know how to correct and frankly am unsure if I can devote the time to rehabilitate him.

I offered to pay for the adoption fee for anyone else interested in him. And I have sent pics and videos of him to the director of the shelter in hopes he can find the right home.

Did I overreact? Did I do the right thing? I hate the idea of him back at the shelter and want him to be happy. It obviously is weighing heavily on my mind and I want to help where/when I can.

Thanks in advance for the help and advice!
It is VERY important that you understand, it IS OK to not keep a dog because it doesn't match your home or lifestyle. I have returned an expensive dog to the breeder and not gotten a penny back because the dog was not a good fit for my lifestyle or work schedule. I love him, but it was best for him.
The dog you adopted was improperly evaluated, and that is not your fault. He needs something in his life that you can't provide. It would be far more cruel to force him to continue to live in a home where you are afraid and he is uncertain, then for him to be taken back to the shelter, or even PTS. What you did was in the best interest of the dog. So you won't be judged here for your correct decision. It's a hard one to make, but the right one.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reassurance. I have been slowly and reluctantly realizing not every dog is a good fit for every person. I went through a similar situation with my last boy Otis and was so insistent that it would work out. But the proof was in the pudding and he turned out to need more than I could provide too. He's now up in Washington state with a loving family and sister last I heard.

I don't want to give up on Jake. As mentioned, he has some genuinely good qualities and I believe he can be a fantastic dog with some work. I think he needs someone who can spend time helping him with his behavior issues, so it definitely would need to be someone with experience in behavioral rehab.

I guess I need to learn to stop beating myself up so much over these types of decisions. I am trying to convince myself it wasn't a right fit, but a part of me hates the thought of him back at the shelter. I think I would rest much easier knowing someone is helping him.

Thanks again for the kind words. I want to do all I can to help him.

·
Super Moderator
5,383 Posts
Couldn't say it any better then EckoMac and I agree completely. I've returned two dogs in my life, one back to the breeder and one back to the shelter. It's tough but I know it was the right decision. Good to see you on the forum Bradd!

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Joe, glad to be back. I like the new look of the place! The other forums I'm on (Dodge Challenger forums) runs the same software.

I appreciate the encouraging words. Really hoping Jake finds the right person for him.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts