Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HardHeaded :pup:

Okay i have to put my dog in a cage till i get off work but i check on her on my brake....
So far ive been having a VERY hard time getting her in it and use to it... I tried feeding her in it i tried putting the food besided it i even went out and bought a BIG *dried shoulder bone* for her to chew on and lol shes just being really hard headed... so i was thinking of taking her to a "doggy day care" untill i get off work (wow expensive) is that a good idea or should i just keep the cage "training" which consits of me pushing her into it....

·
wheezie wayne
3,366 Posts
i would continue the crate training, keep at it till you find what works for you, all dogs are differnt. good luck

·
Registered
795 Posts
Maggie did the same thing when we first got her. Just tell your pup in a stern voice to get in the cage, if you have to give it a helping push! Don't give up on the cage training, the pup has to eventually learn.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I fyou let her win this battle she will think she can win them all. Be consitant tell her kennel up and lots of praise even when you help her into it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha okay :) yuh i just feel like im being a bad "parent" because she starts crying and awww it makes me feel bad :-( but i will continue thanks for input...

xoxox
Criss

·
Registered
795 Posts
Maggie cries in her kennel too, its because she has separation anxiety

·
Registered
13 Posts
i had the same problem with my first pup. she would get in the crate and would cry. when i let her out she wouldnt want to go back in. What i did was the first time told her to go in crate...ofcourse she didnt listen. stared at me. then i gave her a lil shove into her crate. she finally went in. as she was in crate i let the door open. and i sat outside the crate. if she tried to step out of the crate i would correct her w/ a sshh!! as soon as she calmed down and actually sat. i gave her a treat. if your pup cries or makes other actions.....as hard as it is to do...u have to ignore it. i pretty much after sat next to the crate and watched tv for 10 mins. kept my mind clear and just remained calm. What this does is my pup looked at me and saw how calm i was and felt my energy. so she did the same. worked well for me....i got her crate trained withing an hour and since then whenever i say "lets go home" they both jump and get ready for the crate. i found it mostly mental and being very patient and stern. Hope this helped. :cheers:

·
RateMyPitbull.com Moderator
4,389 Posts
yeah, they get used to it. just don't put her in there as punishment while training. she's got to think it's a good place to be.

·
Registered
508 Posts
MY MIKADO said:
I fyou let her win this battle she will think she can win them all. Be consitant tell her kennel up and lots of praise even when you help her into it.
:stupid: exactly you have to stand your ground and show her your the boss if you dont then she will eventually believe she can take over and do what she wants but i understand what your going thru butterscotch is having problems learning to sit and not nip scratch the window lmfao and alot more but just keep your ground tell her she wrong and shes wrong and give her praise when shes right And Mikado i was just joking about the im wif stupid thing :pup:

·
Registered
47 Posts
What I did with mine is give her a doggie treat right before she goes in the cage and after a while, all I had to do was walk by the cage give him a treat and he would walk in by him self w/ no problem. And dont worry the whinning will stop when he knows that you will come back eventually.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
TheBullBeastLover said:
:stupid: exactly you have to stand your ground and show her your the boss if you dont then she will eventually believe she can take over and do what she wants but i understand what your going thru butterscotch is having problems learning to sit and not nip scratch the window lmfao and alot more but just keep your ground tell her she wrong and shes wrong and give her praise when shes right And Mikado i was just joking about the im wif stupid thing :pup:
With Stupid huh?!? Well thats alright Bull beast you must see my geniuses in there somewhere. :pup: :p

·
Registered
175 Posts
I lure mine in with a tatsy treat while I say "crate". After a dozen or so time they get the idea. Just don't put them in after or during punishment. Also, never let them out while they cry or whine no matter how bad it gets. You don't want to reinforce bad behaviour! :roll:

·
Registered
138 Posts
I wish I was on this site years ago when I tried to crate train Rudy. It was hell with all of the whining and crying. When she was little I had to take her to work with me and she would be fine in the crate because there were people there giving her attention, but when it was sleep time at home, forget about it!!! I didn't use it for very long with her, and never with the other two. I wish I did sometimes, but after a couple of years of minor stains and damaged shoes, everything is under control. Don't give in like I did. Just keep to it and try to bear it when the cussing comes. I can still hear it now!!!

·
Registered
508 Posts
MY MIKADO said:
With Stupid huh?!? Well thats alright Bull beast you must see my geniuses in there somewhere. :pup: :p
Yes I do!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yah she likes the whole "treat" thing haha shes such a fatty... shes been doing excellent usual i tell her get in the crate and she sniffs then goes back but if i throw a treat in there haha shes all game... and before i leave i tell her good girl and give her another one *for not crying* and well i shut door and listen and she doesnt cry *as loud* she still whimpers but not as much i usual stay outside of my apt door for like 10mins tops just to see how loud... dont wanna get kicked out ya know...

but thanks :)

XoxoX
Criss

1 - 17 of 17 Posts