Go Pitbull Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Common Foods/Items That are Harmful Or Even Fatal to Dogs
Many common foods are actually harmful or even fatal to dogs. Some of these (listed below) will surprise you. Others are things you would never give your dog purposefully, but now you will be more careful to not let them be in your dog's reach. And some just need to be limited to small amounts.
Avocados (fruit, pit, and plant) are toxic to dogs. Avocados contain a toxic component called persin, which can damage heart, lung and other tissue in many animals. They are high in fat and can trigger stomach upset, vomiting and even pancreatitis. Symptoms of toxicity include difficulty breathing, abdominal enlargement, abnormal fluid accumulations in the chest, abdomen and sac around the heart. The amount that needs to be ingested to cause signs is unknown. The effects on dogs and cats are not completely understood. GI signs are commonly seen and should be treated symptomatically. In addition, the animal should be monitored closely for other clinical signs related to the cardiovascular system. (This information comes from veterinarians, the American Veterinary Medicine Association, and the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center.)
I feed my puppy Avoderm Puppy Food and it says it contains avacados for skin and coat...:confused:
 

· OCD Bullyologist
Joined
·
8,689 Posts
Do you recommend feeding your dogs with veggies? If yes then what vegetable is good for them? My friend has a book about American Staffordshire terrier's sensitivity to different kinds of vegetables.
The only way that vegetables are beneficial to a dog is if they are pureed.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
9,176 Posts
dont add salt , its unhealthy for dogs as it is humans, and pepper i wouldnt either.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Thanks for sharing such a great list of food items and toxic plant affecting dogs health. I think the list would be very beneficiary for the pet owner as it will help them to detect the items that should be kept away from dog diet. I have also cam across that they also get affected with Castor Bean, Daffodil, Dieffenbachia. Even bones from Fish or Chicken can cause obstruction or laceration of the digestive system. The Raw Eggs or Meat also effect dogs health as they contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin and hence leads to skin and hair coat problems.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Yes there are so many plant that are poisonous to ours dogs. There are few most toxic to dogs..

1. Grapes -- The toxicity of grapes to dogs was once thought to be an urban legend, but it's true; even a small serving can cause vomiting and diarrhea, while larger amounts can lead to kidney failure. Researchers aren't yet sure what exactly causes this reaction, whether pesticides or a fungal toxin.

2. Mushrooms -- While there are plenty of great-tasting, perfectly safe mushrooms out there, dogs just don't seem capable of discerning the difference between the edible and the toxic. To be on the safe side, it's best not to allow dogs to eat any wild mushrooms at all, unless you can confidently identify the species yourself.Amanita, Galerina and Lepiota species are especially dangerous because they contain toxins that cause a series of worsening symptoms, from vomiting to swelling in the brain

3-3. Marijuana -- For most people, the likelihood of your pet gaining access to marijuana -- whether on a live plant or not -- is relatively low. But regardless of your view of marijuana's safety for human use, it has absolutely no benefits for your pet.After ingesting marijuana, a dog can experience symptoms like slow heart rate, lack of coordination, disorientation, drooling and tremors that can persist for up to three days.

4-Lilies -- While lilies are well-known as a serious danger to cats, certain varieties are highly toxic to dogs as well. The peace lily, calla lily, amaryllis, lily of the valley, autumn crocus and the common houseplant, giant Dracaena or palm lily, are all deemed dangerous to dogs by the ASPCA. Ingestion of lilies can cause gastrointestinal upset, depression, anorexia and tremors.

5-Black walnuts -- Dropping from black walnut trees by the thousands, the nuts themselves don't contain anything that can harm your dog

6-Sago palm -- Often used in landscaping and as houseplants, sago palms develop seed pods that are often very tempting to dogs.
Unfortunately, the whole plant and the seeds in particular contain a potent toxin called cycasin that can be fatal, even if the dog only eats a single seed

7-7. Azalea -- A member of the widely toxic genus rhododendron, the azalea is found in many varieties all over the United States and is commonly used as an ornamental flowering shrub in landscaping.Ingestion of just a few leaves can cause serious issues like digestive upset, drooling, loss of appetite, weakness and leg paralysis

8-8. Castor bean -- This ornamental tropical plant, also used as a crop for castor oil, contains the toxic protein ricin.At the least, eating this plant can burn a dog's mouth and throat and lead to excessive thirst, vomiting and diarrhea

9-9. Daffodils -- Among the first blooms to herald the arrival of spring, daffodils are a cheerful addition to the garden, but they contain poisonous alkaloids that can cause vomiting, excessive salivation, diarrhea, convulsions, tremors and heart problems.

10-10. Dieffenbachia (Dumb Cane) -- With its broad variegated leaves, the dieffenbachia is often recommended as an ideal houseplant for natural air purification.

So please take care of our dogs form these plants.

Cynthia Lennon
Pawsh Accessories
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
There are also various chemicals you should worry about when it comes to commercial dog foods. You should avoid any food that contains BHA, BHT, Carrageenan and other horrible chemicals.. You can read about them here 10 Most Dangerous Ingredients In Pet Food [Infographic] | MySweetPuppy.net and learn what kind of health problems they can cause.

It is up to us as pet owners to know the ingredients of the food because the dogs simply can't read the labels and they can't know the effects chemicals have on their body..
 
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top