Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rescue APBT I got about 10 months ago. He's about four and a half and i was looking to getting him started in wright pulling. Nothing competition serious, but just some to keep him in shape and physically fit. However, anytime I bring a harness near him and try to put it on him, he freaks out. He growls and snaps and shakes and everything. Now he was used as a fighter and got stabbed 7 times, so I don't know if that has to do with it or what. He adores collars like you wouldn't believe and will let you put all the collars you want on him. (I maxed out at 5, that's all the collars I own) but when a harness comes into play, he freaks out. Any help?

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
Go slow, use plenty of positive reinforcement. Lots of extra special treats only for when the harness is out. Make it fun for him.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Exactly! Baby steps. Keep the harness out. If he goes to sniff it reward and praise. Pick it up and love it ask him to go over to it and reward that. You need to get him to associate yummy treats and praise with the harness so when he sees the harness he knows it's all about yummy treats and praise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts