Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i took my pup to monterey beach, California. As i was walking with him some guy on a bicycle rides by me and says " It very smart of you to bring out a pit on memorial day weekend with all these kids around". Of course he never stopped to actually get to know me or my dog. I was just wondering if anyone has a story like mine.

·
Banned
3,471 Posts
We just moved in to a new house in a subdivision and our neighbor came over to see the chihuahua puppy I'm dog sitting and she saw Maile inside and goes 'is that a pitbull? Oh great!' Mind you we've lived here since November and Maile goes out and plays in the yard daily and doesn't bark at her, her kids, or their dog. She sits in the middle of our yard and watches em sometimes, but that's it. Needless to say I got a lil upset and told her that she shouldn't judge an animal until she knew them. And then I pointed out that Maile lives with 2 chihuahuas and a 2 year old kid everyday and we've never had an issue. She just says "well I gre up in Detroit". Like its an excuse to judge my dog. Grrr. Oh well. Maile will show her how amazing pitbulls can be!! :D

60 Posts
ya i was at pet co yesterday and the cashier looked at my pup and said "ive never liked pit bulls and i really dont like them now because of what mike vick did to them"

i said "ummmmm ooookkkkayyyy" and got my stuff and left im done fighting with people they can go 4nic8 themselves with barbwire and broken beer bottles

·
Registered
193 Posts
i had someone comment on how playfull and nice to people she was. The comment was not a good one as she told her husband and three kids how they are not supposed to act like that they are supposed to be mean lol. I just looked in shock as i did not want to get in a fight i closed my mouth and kept walking lol

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Ah it happens. Unfortunately bad owners make it hard for all of us. I just went to a BBQ today at my aunt and uncle's. When I got there my uncle was like "Is that a pitbull?" He looked kind of worried. By the end of the night he was walking Lady around on her leash, and telling everyone about her. It turns out they have a new tennant upstairs with a DA/HA pit, and they are really afraid of it. I told my aunt that the dog should be put down, and she said she just thought that was how pitbulls were, but after seeing Lady she understands, and may even look into having one of her own when their chi passes, since he's very old. They can't even go up there to turn off the water or check the gas or anything without the dog having to be locked up, and even then it snarls and throws itself at the door the whole time, so I can understand why they were afraid, and all that the rest of us can do is educate people.

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
So i took my pup to monterey beach, California. As i was walking with him some guy on a bicycle rides by me and says " It very smart of you to bring out a pit on memorial day weekend with all these kids around". Of course he never stopped to actually get to know me or my dog. I was just wondering if anyone has a story like mine.
People's thinking is so backwards. The pits with responsible owners taking them out in public and socializing them with people, other dogs, kids, etc aren't the ones they need to worry about!

You know what though, these are the same people who judge human beings on their looks, skin color, size, etc. People who make snap judgments like this should never be taken seriously. Yeah, it sucks, but the best we can do is be responsible owners and keep our pets out of the headlines.

We had a police officer at our home after we'd had a break in into our detached garage/shop a couple of years ago. Brutus went out to greet the officers and one asks if he was a pit bull, we told him he's a mix and that he's a great dog. The officer replies "that's what they all say, until they take a chunk out of ya." Brutus is 9 years old and has managed not to take a "chunk" out of anyone yet. Ugh!

Reactions: Hirihat

·
hrmph
5,349 Posts
Whenever I walk Belle on the public trail that people often go down they will pick up their dogs and scurry past or cross the street. I've also had a friend's mother freak out and say that my dogs were going to maul her bichon. she wasn't afraid of Rudi but she told me that in about 2 months she wasn't allowed back over anymore and she didn't think that Belle looked like a pitbull mix, she looked complete pibull and she isn't allowed back over either. Belle had her halti collar on and she told me i couldn't take it off, although if Belle was going to bite the dog she could have easily done it with the stupid halti on. i was super upset and there were a LOT of things i wanted to say, but fortunately i hightailed it out of there very quickly and i'm not going back anymore. i am still peeved about it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Ignorant man!

Educating yourself (for some people) is too hard now-a-days. People don't want to take the time to read and learn. That's ok, they will always remain the ignorant ones -so sad.

·
Registered
628 Posts
People's thinking is so backwards. The pits with responsible owners taking them out in public and socializing them with people, other dogs, kids, etc aren't the ones they need to worry about!

You know what though, these are the same people who judge human beings on their looks, skin color, size, etc. People who make snap judgments like this should never be taken seriously. Yeah, it sucks, but the best we can do is be responsible owners and keep our pets out of the headlines.

We had a police officer at our home after we'd had a break in into our detached garage/shot a couple of years ago. Brutus went out to greet the officers and one asks if he was a pit bull, we told him he's a mix and that he's a great dog. The officer replies "that's what they all say, until they take a chunk out of ya." Brutus is 9 years old and has managed not to take a "chunk" out of anyone yet. Ugh!
:goodpost: You pretty much said anything I would've!! LOL

·
Registered
66 Posts
yeah i have a friend that i work with that is anti "pitbull." the other day she called my dog, and every other pit, retarded and inbred. i forgot to mention that we were great fiends until this happened. now i want to punch her in her spine everytime i see her. we no longer talk about our dogs.

·
Forum Manager
4,908 Posts
yeah i have a friend that i work with that is anti "pitbull." the other day she called my dog, and every other pit, retarded and inbred. i forgot to mention that we were great fiends until this happened. now i want to punch her in her spine everytime i see her. we no longer talk about our dogs.
if one of my guy friends said that they would deffinently get layed out.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Just remember that people can be retarded and inbred, too. ;)
Is everyone? Including your friend?
Probably not. ;)

Seriously, some people are so very close minded and ignorant and that is a sad way to live, but that is their stupidity.

Why is education so hard?
Why?

That just goes to really show how small their brain is!
:hammer:

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
I had a co-worker over to my house yesterday and she has been programmed basically by the media to believe everything about these dogs. She even tells me that she knows it's not true, but that she can't help but be afraid. Loki wanted to be her friend and play fetch with her and have her pet him but she could barely look in his direction, let alone look directly at him.

This person is still my friend, but I think it's silly that despite the fact that my dogs are great and she'd met them in person to witness this she still cannot set aside her fear.

·
Banned
66 Posts
We have a small dog park on base that I sometimes take my female Cara to. I never let her off leash, but I think it is a good way to socialize her with dogs and let people see pitbulls in a positive way. Most people have been great and love to pet her and can't believe how well behaved she is. There are a few people that get scared and stay away but luckily no one has said anything stupid to me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts