Go Pitbull Forums banner

Health Concerns with Bones...

1K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  kodiakgirl 
#1 ·
A while ago, I posted a thread about Bullet's "over-productive" anal glands (here's the original thread... http://www.gopitbull.com/health-nutrition/34067-help-i-cant-stand-anymore.html ) and one of the members had suggested I add more bone to his diet to help "scrape things" on the way out. This was the one thing I hadn't tried yet, so I figured I would give it a shot. Well, it seems to be working, and I have been issue-free for about 3 months now! :woof: thank goodness!

My concern now has to do with his :poop:, after reading cEElint's thread http://www.gopitbull.com/health-nutrition/36304-albino-turds.html I have a few of my own concerns about this issue. I have also been noticing that some of Bullet's turds are white. They're not chalky and crumbling, they seem to be the same size as all of the normal ones and hold their form just fine. About half of the piles I picked up yesterday are white, and the other half are the normal brown. I bought Bullet a "mammoth bone" from PetSmart (or PetCo, can't remember...), it's one of those cooked bones with a little bit of yummy meaty stuff on the outside. He's been working on it for about a week and a half now, not continuously, but maybe for a couple of hours every other day or so (depends on the weather, I only let him have it in his outdoor pen, and I only put him out there when it's nice out.) I was watching him while he was doing his business this morning, because I was curious about all of this, and I noticed that his stool isn't coming out brown and turning white (like cEElint's dog was), they are actually coming out white. (sorry about the TMI, lol)

So my concern is this... if I continue giving him bones, will it have any health effects? Or is it OK since it's all coming out of him? I'll also add that he is not able to break off any chunks of the bone, so I'm not concerned about that (I always make sure that he can't break off any chunks, don't want an emergency surgery!)

I'm really hoping that I can continue giving him bones as I have been doing, since it has completely stopped his anal gland issues and my house and lifestyle are back to normal. Has anyone had any experience with feeding bones and white turds, and will it have any health effects, or can I just keep on doing what I'm doing? (or should I ask a vet?)

Here's a picture of the happy boy and his bone :)

See less See more
#2 ·
*bump* Anyone have any insight on this? Or does no response mean I should call a vet.... lol :roll:

#11 · (Edited)
He is not ingesting chunks of the bone... If you look in the pic, you can see how he's gotten some off of the knuckles on the end, but he basically just scrapes verrrrry small particles off of the ends. What he scrapes off is no larger than sand particles, and he doesn't get much off at a time. He's had this bone for about a week and a half now, so to me, he hasn't really gotten much off of it considering how long he's had it. Before this bone, I had gotten him one 2 weeks before, but it was one of the 6" long, hollow ones with no knuckles on the end. The only thing he was able to eat off of that one was the tiny bit of meaty stuff on the outside and licked the marrow out of the inside. Took him 2 weeks for that one, and then he just got tired of it because it didn't have any good stuff on it anymore. lol.

His stools are not powdery, they hold their form and stay together when I pick them up too, that is why I was curious because in the other white turd thread, he was saying that his dog's stools were powdery, but Bullet's aren't.

So will the raw bones help with his anal gland issues the same way the cooked bones have been?

#13 ·
So what do you guys think, is it OK for me to keep giving him bones as I have been?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.