Go Pitbull Forums banner
1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  SSuarez 
#1 ·
Hello! My large 5 yr old female pit has been on Glucosamine for a few weeks now due to us noticing some limping on her back left leg. It seemed to have work really quickly since she hardly was limping within a week and could go up our backs steps without hesitating as before. BUT...last night she was barking alot & we think she was standing/leaning against our fence while she barked..so today she couldn't get on all fours and I used a towel sling to help her go down the steps. She is just laying around now (& still barking @ the world..ha!) and now my husband tried putting a sling around her and for the first time ever she growled at him when he got near her back leg with the towel..I know she's protecting it but we really think its best to bring her inside our home and away from the cold. Help! Any suggestions!!??!! How long will something like this take for her to get better? I think she got confident & thought she could stand on her hind legs since her leg had improved sooo much and now she is hurting :( :( :( our other pit tried to get near her & she growled at him too :(

#2 ·
healing time will depend on what exactly is wrong? could there be a break , a fracture? is it her legs or could it be hips? With injuried like this I wold suggest crateing her and only taking out for short bathroom breaks on leash only, cause as you said they feel better for a bit and get over confident and go a jump or do something to reinjure. I would have done 2 weeks crate rest and then light activity after that if there is no sign of pain { remember this breed can hide pain well so its hard to tell at times} however being awhile you may want to go get the vet to check her out maybe do an xray { i know xrays here are about $60 , but check around with your vets}. If there is a break or fracture healing time an be alot longer. Do you know how she injured herself? could even have pulled or torn something as well.

#3 ·
Glucosamine helps support joints, but it doesn't heal injuries. I would take her to the vet and have them check her out. Like angelbaby said, it could be her hips or a fracture or she might have pulled a muscle or torn a ligament. Your vet will be able to narrow it down. But you need to get it taken care of sooner rather than later if she's starting to growl at you and your other dog because of pain.

#4 ·
Ok great! Thank you for your reply! I will definitely take your advice. We brought her in for tonight. We will keep her rested. She was able to go up the 2 steps on her own before we got to her to attempt using a towel sling :). But I know she strong and probably feels a lil better, but still, will def take your suggestions! Thank u again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.