Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I video a lot of my training sessions, so I can see how badly I mess up my dog by not being able to walk a straight line or over cue with the shoulder here or there. Thought it might be fun to post up todays doodles.
*warning, Pit Bull off leash and with no collar and a loose cat to boot

Trying to teach him to go out (away from me) to a target) Poor guy, spend years teaching him to stay in heel, then change the game and expect him to go AWAY from me. He tries, lol

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Very nice! The return to heel cracks me up! Teaching the send out can be hard for some dogs but one thing I started doing is using the toys to get them away. Started off by fetching and by placing the toy out and sending. One reason most people down here do not use the target sicks anymore is dogs were going to the fence and bumping it before wanting to twist around and that's a huge deduction. Not saying what you are doing is wrong but why I started doing it with toys then fading the toy out. Another tick I learned if you have a dog who does not bring things back like we talked about ;) is using kibble. Tossing kibble away from me and then sending the dog to get it. calling them back to heel then making them stay while I toss another piece then sending again. It really helped my one dog who did not like to move away from me, then I went into targeting.
There are as you know a million ways to do things and the funny thing is when training several of my dogs I have had to be inventive with some! lol they do not all learn the same!!

I know you train with a club, is it an AKC club? I train at an AKC club and I'm just curious. Do you do UKC or just AKC?

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
Those are great. your pup is an awesome! My boy is no where near that, plus he sits sideways when heeling and jumps sideways when I walk :( oh well practice makes perfect . Love the ones with you targeting :)

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Yeah I have to travel to go to UKC events and recently I became president of our UKC club so I could have more local shows. It's been a long road but it's finally paying off with more shows. We have a million AKC shows but I refuse to call my APBT's amstaffs or mixed breeds. There is also ASCA and it is the same rules as AKC and now I am starting to do more ASCA shows.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah I have to travel to go to UKC events and recently I became president of our UKC club so I could have more local shows. It's been a long road but it's finally paying off with more shows. We have a million AKC shows but I refuse to call my APBT's amstaffs or mixed breeds. There is also ASCA and it is the same rules as AKC and now I am starting to do more ASCA shows.
Just out of curiosity, can't you have dual registry?

Regarding the videos, great work, the focus of the dog is great!

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some dogs are dual registered, yes. My dog is a little Hurricane Katrina rescue dog, so did not have registration papers (even if he WAS registered, I wouldn't have them, obviously) Both the UKC and the AKC offer limited purebred listings for (altered) dogs who fit the breed standard and appear pure bred to compete. He has both (the standards are very similar)
Funny thing is, the AKC people I see aren't nearly so hung up on the am staff/pit bull difference as the breed people are. If they aren't 'in the breed' a Pit Bull is an Am Staff. We get VERY positive reactions to our pit bull at shows.... probably because, despite his age, he is very puppy like in his mannerisms and enthusiasm..... he's just fun to watch. We lose a lot of points on precision, but I will take an enthusiastic, having a great time working dog over a precise dog who looks miserable.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Just out of curiosity, can't you have dual registry?

Regarding the videos, great work, the focus of the dog is great!
No you can't, well it depends on what breed your dog is. If you have an AKC papered amstaff you can register them as a UKC pit bull. If you have a UKC registered APBT you cannot register them as an amstaff. Now this is where it gets a little blurry. Amstaffs are not APBT's if you ask many hard core APBT fans. Amstaffs were from a smaller gene pool and were bred over many years to be a pet and show dog. Some people do work AMstaffs but they are a really different breed since they were bred for a different purpose and look. Then you have a real APBT ADBA show style dogs who do nothing but show and many would also call them amstaffs since they are not true to the original form of the APBT. Then you have dogs who are game bred or proven that are the closest to the original APBT's pre 1976. Most resescue you see are mixes of amstaffs (AST's) pit and bullies. That is where you get the bigger dogs, bigger bodies, and head. In my town I hardley ever see APBT rescues they are all mixed dogs. I hardley ever see real APBT's most things have gone bully or AST unless they came from a breeder. So if you have a rescue dog and reg with the AKC under an ILP (the dogs has to be S/N) I think that's great that you are going out and putting a postive light on our breed, That is what most of the john Q public thinks our dogs look like anyway.

Some dogs are dual registered, yes. My dog is a little Hurricane Katrina rescue dog, so did not have registration papers (even if he WAS registered, I wouldn't have them, obviously) Both the UKC and the AKC offer limited purebred listings for (altered) dogs who fit the breed standard and appear pure bred to compete. He has both (the standards are very similar)
Funny thing is, the AKC people I see aren't nearly so hung up on the am staff/pit bull difference as the breed people are. If they aren't 'in the breed' a Pit Bull is an Am Staff. We get VERY positive reactions to our pit bull at shows.... probably because, despite his age, he is very puppy like in his mannerisms and enthusiasm..... he's just fun to watch. We lose a lot of points on precision, but I will take an enthusiastic, having a great time working dog over a precise dog who looks miserable.
Akc people are not hung up on the AST vs APBT because most AKC people are breed killers! lol They like to take a working dog like the Lab, GSD, Jack Russel, and other breeds and make them fat show dogs that could not do what they were originally bred for. I know at our AKC club it's the same way. I professionally handle dogs in AKC in confo, Obed, and Rally and yeah they are all about the ribbons and fluff! lol I do not show my own dogs in AKC, I do UKC, ADBA, and ASCA. However I do have a dog I might ILP with AKC since I am going to spay her anyway. I have been wanting an AKC breed to show AKC Obed with and I might break my own rule and call her an AST. I hate to do it but we have so much AKC I would like to try for an OTCH with her if she turns out to be a good working dog.
Anyway those are my thoughts on AKC, UKC is just as bad, again the only reason I do UKC is for Obed, and Rally. Even AKC and UKC agility is a joke for that I would rather do USDAA or NADAC.

·
End-F0rum-Communism
717 Posts
please train my dogs :), My girl chloe pulls like a diesel truck, literally leaves me hand red from the leash wrapped around my hand.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
ASCA is Australian shepherd club of America. ASCA does AKC rules for Obed and Rally and old NADAC rules for Agility. We have a ton of shows out here and it is open to all breeds. What I love about ASCA is I do not need to S/N my dogs to show in their venue. Unlike AKC if I do not have AKC papers then I have to S/N my dogs to show AKC.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts