Go Pitbull Forums banner

Helena won't get out of the way!

Tags
helena
3K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  9361 
#1 ·
Helena has always done this, but recently it seems to be more so annoying. Ok so most times she is just stuck up my bum following me around. And I might be in a hurry tying to do something and she won't get out of the way fast enough and I end up running into her or tripping. And she just sits there with this look on her face like "DERRRR!!!" I wasn't sure if it was a dominance thing or if she's just being dumb. But it's really annoying. Does anyone else have a dog that does this?

#2 ·
OMG Dosia does that to me when he has his ball. He always wants to play with his stupid ball. He does the same thing then he'll move in front of me and make me trip. I don't think being dominant is the issue I think she's trying to get attention.

#4 ·
Yeah Mel totally does it when he is tryin to play too lol

#6 ·
Not dominance sounds clingy. Does she have separation anxiety? Throwing a fit when you leave her behind? Does she do anything else that might be related to this?

These dogs naturally want to be around us, thrive on human interaction. If your giving commands and shes not listening to you (for instance "sit" and "stay" in order to get around and continue doing what your doing) than theres obviously a lack of connection, training or respect that you are the authority... If you will. Though just following you around and getting in your way, unless something else is also going on is not a sign of domination.

#7 ·
Bella does it to me all the time to.....I don't see it as dominance I see it as her layed back slow going self lol! Well, at least when it comes to moving out of your way LOL! ;)

#8 ·
She heels fine on lead. And she definitely knows I am the boss. She doesn't have separation anxiety, we leave her loose in the house without an incident in 3 years time. She also knows "go" which means move out of the way. Sometimes I just don't have time to summon it. Like earlier I was in the kitchen and so was she and I was trying to move back and forth between the fridge and the sink and she just was standing there. I usually give her a little nudge with my knee when she does it and tell her to go.

#9 · (Edited)
Well if you dont give her a command (sometimes) you can't expect her to read your mind and know what you want. If she listens to you when you do give the command im not really understanding the problem?

Also you say on one hand she has always been doing this (getting in the way i assume?) but then you say she will listen to commands and can get her to move when following through with orders.. Is there something im missing?

#10 ·
yea i think its an affection/attention thing. not the she lacks it..it might b just something apart of the apbt genetics cuz from the looks of it...almost everybodys dog does it.

...and yea i almost sandwiched my dog the other day w the corner of the wall and my legs cuz of it...thank God they are made of rubber lol ;) ..atleast it seems like dat

#11 ·
Bullet does the same thing too. I think it's just their natural human attachment and wanting to be around their humans and be part of everything you're doing. Bullet knows that if I say "git!" or "watch out!" he moves out of the way pretty quick. I taught him to move quickly by saying the word and stomping my feet to get him to move quicker, make him realize the importance of getting out of my way or else he's going to get run over. lol
I would suggest maybe setting some boundaries, such as in the kitchen. Pick an area and teach her that she can't go past that area when you tell her to stay, or just teach her to stay out of the kitchen all together. If she goes past the boundary you set, correct her (I use a sharp, negative sound, like "no" or "ahh!") and put her back in the position she was in. She should get the hint pretty quick. My dogs know they aren't allowed in the kitchen at all, there are two entrances into it, and they know that they can't step off of the edge where the carpet meets the linoleum. Setting some boundaries when you're trying to get something done can be extremely helpful (and safer when dealing with sharp/hot objects in the kitchen), and it sounds like Helena is very obedient, so it shouldn't be too hard.

#13 ·
I had trouble with Vendetta doing this too I just worked very hard on "GO lay down" it took time and patience but after a month of everyday 10-15 times a day I dont have to say it any more she just goes and lays down when I start moving around the kitchen and when I am sweeping or mopping.

#14 ·
crush does that too its so annoying he is like my shadow but it makes me so mad when im busy doing something like in the kitchen and turn around and he is just sitting there if im carrying a kid or something i dont always notice him and trip over him. he likes to lay on the floor by the bed when i kick him off too and when i get up he has been stepped ona few times so annoying. I may start that rule no dogs in the kitchen I seen someone had that with there dogs on here I can baby gate it off if need to at 1st hopefully that helps. All my others though know to move out the way lol, was always told to not go around my dogs to make them move for me usually after being stepped on a couple times they learned to watch me and move out the way lol NOT crush though I think he lacking in the brain department sometimes lol.

#15 · (Edited)
The kitchen is no place for a dog (at least in my house) not sanatary and people are working around a stove and oven..I would hate for one of mine to get burnt because I tripped over them or drop something on them while trying to direct he to go. ANYWAYS..I had that problem and I simply fixed it with teaching my dogs 'PLACE' so now.. I tell my animal (the dog that is inside for their special time) to go lay down and they do it so they stay out of my way until I give the ok. when I am cleaning my dogs are outside chained. chemecals aren't usually doggy safe when you disinfect your tile with bleach and wood floods with wood cleaner..

#16 ·
ummm... I use to call Edward skids..... yeahhh we had issues, and at times he is still annoying, especially when I get home from work..lol He isn't allowed in the kitchen, its a small space and he is a big boy..lol Scott has him trained to move out of his way no matter what..lmao

#19 ·
Edward has to pass thru the kitchen as well, but he isn't allowed to linger and if there is anyone in the kitchen he isn't allowed in there..lol

"Kennel" is his hated word... he acts up, I say Kennel and the ears flatten, the tail tucks and he walks reallllllyyyyy slow down the hallway to his kennel, which is in our room.. you'd think I beat him..lmao

#20 ·
You can teach he a place command that means mean to your place like a dog bed in the living room. That way you can run around without her getting in your way. Basically you put her on leash and teach her a down stay on her pillow and start calling it place. Point to the pillow and say place and take her by leash put her in a down and tell her stay. That is the best way to get her out of your face, it has nothing to do with dominance.

When I go to the bathroom or take a show I have an audience of dogs laying on the rug watching! lol they just like to hang around mom.

#22 ·
She does know "bedtime" means go to her crate. We usually banish her to there during dinner time and when a lot of company is over. I am starting to think it's laziness. Today we were laying on the couch and she was laying on my blanket and I told her to move and she didn't so I pushed her and said MOVE and she still acted lazy about it. I ended up pushing her off the couch and she ran in a circle with a hurt look on her face like I was just terrible.

#23 ·
That is Nila's favorite thing!! She loves when I start walking down the hallway and she just has to walk ever so slow in front of me and sometimes trips me. Usually after the first or second time of her getting in my feet I will tell her to lay down and she will.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.