Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boyfriend and I just rescued a pit last night and he is our first of the breed. Last night was a bit rough, but seems to be adjusting and fitting right in.

His name is Scooter and he's a year old. He's not neutered. Since we have never had experience with pits, I was wondering what kind of special training they need, or if socializing, obedience, and exercise is all we need to worry about.

So far, we are just thrilled. He's a big 75 lb baby. He's still super clumsy and is always bumping his huge noggin on cupboards and end tables lol. Any tips or advise would be appreciated.

Also, we live in Michigan, and I tried google searching any breed specific statutes that unfortunately exist, but the only thing I found was the ban that some idiot tried to impose.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
there is alot you should know going into this breed, but you have found a great forum with tons of advice. Best advice would be just to sit down and start reading. If you have specific issues to look for you can use the search tool at the top of this page, if that doesnt help then just ask there are tons of people on here who can answer your questions or link you to some helpful threads. With him being a year something to watch out for now is DA { dog aggression} that usually kicks in about this time to 2 years of age but really can be anytime. This is something known in this breed and should have the proper precautions taken to avoid any incidents like NO dopgparks, no play dates with other dogs { socializations should be done with new people and new environments and surroundings, it doesnt include other dogs} Making sure he is always on leash is a good way to prevent any problems and if let outside its in a fenced secured yard.
Best of luck with your new boy would love to see pictures.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Great post Angel!!!

Welcome to the forum as Angel already told you this is a great place to start learning about the breed. I would set up an appointment and get him neuterd. Make sure you get a good strong collar and if you have to use a chain set up when he is outside you use good strudy products. I think there are a few threadds on here showing different set ups.

Good luck. Post pictures when you get a chance.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
welcome! Yes, I would love to see some pictures!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts