Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My name is Celeste and I am 15 years old. I am interested in learning as much about American Pit Bull Terriers as I can. I've been looking through this forum for awhile and have noticed you have many people who are very educated in the breed.

I do not currently own an American Pit Bull Terrier, but I would love to in the future.

I am really loving dog sports, I have been competing/training for several sports with my German Shepherd/Labrador Retriever mix Dakota. Dakota and I have done dock jumping, obedience, agility, oval track racing, sprint racing, and weight pulling. We've looked into Schutzhund but haven't found any local groups we are comfortable with.

Dakota will be 2 years old in 3 months, he is my rock star right now. He's done awesome in everything I've tried with him. We started getting into sports later last summer, and it rains all winter here so we haven't gotten to far. So we hope to really get into it this summer! He had a small graduation dock jumping competition and we won first place.The butt was barely trying that day! Lol! His winning jump was 16.2, I ran up and down the dock with him trying to get him pumped. His earlier jumps were in the 11-10 range and the other club members were /facepalming him because they know he could do better. We also tried out agility, the trainer didn't believe us when we told her we'd never had classes before. No hesitation, except on the curved tunnel. But once we showed him that there actually is a turn there, he had no problems at all.

We got into weight pulling at the end of fall, so had almost no time to practice. We will be starting fresh this summer, one day of just wearing the harness, then a small chain for a few days. But with what little bit we did (got up to about 9lbs) he really enjoyed it.

Also, I've started a weight pulling club for our area. There used to be one here, but they weren't educated. They were baiting, and had dogs pulling in normal harnesses, and had dogs under 2 years old pulling quite a bit....Also the one dog that did have a proper harness on...it was upside down. So far the club only consists of me and 2 friends of mine. (One is a certified trainer.)
News - Nor Cal All Breed Weight Pulling Club

I have to mention the shelter I have been volunteering at for 1 1/2 years...The Haven Humane Society. Because of the people there and their influences on me, I have become a faaaar more educated, and responsible owner than I was before. I got volunteer of the year my first year of volunteering, just couldn't get enough. :)

Enough about me, here are my dogs.

Dakota - 21 month old German Shepherd/Labrador Retriever mix. He is the only one that is really MY dog. I pay for everything, food, vet check ups, shots, vaccinations, toys, equipment, club fees. I have money saved up for surprise vet visits.

This is our goal for this summer again...God I hate that it rains all winter here.

Oval track/Sprint Racing...On the side lines while other dogs ran.(He has a new 3 inch padded collar for this. See first picture.)

Personally, I think you shouldn't own a dog you can't control.:thumbsup:

Please excuse my hair and expression, I didn't get any sleep that night and we ran out of my shampoo for oily hair. Double bad morning. :p

Tazzy - 6 year old Toy Poodle, my grandma got him from a backyard breeder when I was younger.Which I learned recently...I was told we adopted him, luckily now she knows the difference between adopting and buying. (She's against them now! It's so refreshing to have open minded people in your family, especially when the others aren't.)
The poor guy has horrible structure so I have to cut down on our exercise.
If you can't tell he has had her influence when it comes to manners. :p

He's a little spit fire.

Buddy - 5 year old Miniature Long-haired Dachshund, same acquiring story as with Tazzy. He's waaay too brave for his body, tenacious little fella.

The only shot I managed to capture with all 3.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
WELCOME!!! Happy to have you here :) Pit bulls are one of the most versitial breeds and can do almost anything. Glad you are here to learn before you get one. I'm sure you see alot come through the shelter you volunteer at. For 15 you seem very educated in the dog world and I am impressed on everything you do with your boy. He is a sweetie! Reminds me of my first "own" dog Bandit. He was a shepard/husky mix and one of the best dogs I ever owned. Hope you enjoy it here as much as I do! I'm still learning something new everyday on here myself :D

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Welcome to the forum!All of your dogs are gorgeous and I love that you work em.Can't wait to see what you do with a apbt when you get one

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you! :D It really is amazing how much you can learn in a year, you can tell when my light bulb went on. Dakota used to be pretty darn fat before I got into the dog world. At 9 months he weighed 89lbs, and now at 21 months he weighs 64lbs.
(I am a bit of a rambler.)

I learned quite a bit about APBTs from pitbullforum, and I was hoping I could learn more here. Especially since I am considering a breeder, and I don't want to support a BYB.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
:welcome: It's great to have you here and you are doing an awesome job with your dogs!! You remind me of myself when I was younger but I have to admit you are more advanced with training than I was at that age. Keep up the good work it sounds like you are going to have a great future with dogs no matter what breed you have. I had a natural gift with dogs too at your age and now I own my own very successful training business, keep up the good work!

·
Original Prankster
13,927 Posts
:welcome: Good to have you here. Your right in my area too :) I'm totally going to the pull this weekend so I'll probably see you guys out there :) I haven't got my WP harness in the mail yet but were still going to watch and take pics :)

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
welcome to GP! :)

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:welcome: Good to have you here. Your right in my area too :) I'm totally going to the pull this weekend so I'll probably see you guys out there :) I haven't got my WP harness in the mail yet but were still going to watch and take pics :)
I sure wanted to go and watch! I am going to be at Dog Sports Expo in Redding California this weekend though. My dock jumping club has been planning it for awhile, and it'll be my chance to get Dakota used to the pull.

And performanceknls, thank you! I really appriceate that comment, I hope to make dogs my future and I'd love to start a training business when I am older. I plan to go to school for it too. Not sure where yet though.
Don't you own a few Caragan dogs? Would you mind answering a few questions? I called Cheryl and had a long conversation with her, she seemed very nice and knowledgeable but I'd like to know a bit more first. :)

And thank you everyone for the warm welcome! :D

·
Original Prankster
13,927 Posts
I'll be in Redding for that this weekend too :) I'll come say hi :)

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I am from CA as well 2 hours south of Redding. I can tell already you are going to be a great addition here :D Adorable dogs.

I wanna come play! If Jeremy brings in his money on the 17th and gives me some dog play funds I will come up too lol :D

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll be in Redding for that this weekend too :) I'll come say hi :)
Very cool! :)

They're having a fundraiser ball jump on Saturday. 20$ for a ticket, your dog (or a member's dog if your dog won't do it.) jumps in and gets a ball. Whatever number you get is the prize you get, and I remember them saying each prize is valued at at least $50. Money goes to S.A.F.E (Save Animals From Euthanasia.) they're a spay and neuter group.

Oh and just keep a look out for my boy and you'll find me.;)

·
Original Prankster
13,927 Posts
I wanna come play! If Jeremy brings in his money on the 17th and gives me some dog play funds I will come up too lol :D
YAY!!!!!!!! I'd love to see you and the doggies :woof::woof:
Very cool! :)

They're having a fundraiser ball jump on Saturday. 20$ for a ticket, your dog (or a member's dog if your dog won't do it.) jumps in and gets a ball. Whatever number you get is the prize you get, and I remember them saying each prize is valued at at least $50. Money goes to S.A.F.E (Save Animals From Euthanasia.) they're a spay and neuter group.

Oh and just keep a look out for my boy and you'll find me.;)
Cool I'll be there. I'll make sure to look for you guys ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts