Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am from New Zealand, Pitbills are classed as menacing and are a banned breed here. I have two Pitbull babies bth still pups 1 papered female & 1 unpapered male. Glad to be here amongst other lovers of the breed Cheers :woof::thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Welcome to the forum cute pups. Just curious how you have them there if they are banned ? are you not worried they will take them and kill them if you are caught? just curious how it works over there and what you have to get around owning them when they are banned.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Welcome to the forum cute pups. Just curious how you have them there if they are banned ? are you not worried they will take them and kill them if you are caught? just curious how it works over there and what you have to get around owning them when they are banned.
Well here in NZ menacing dogs are banned from importation so I guess the governments long term plan for the 4 breeds banned is for the breeds to eventually die out here :(

Here is a rough outline on the law here -

The Dog Control Act prohibits the importation into New Zealand of American Pit Bull Terrier type dogs, and Dogo Argentino, Brazilian Fila, Japanese Tosa breeds.

Menacing dogs
Councils can classify a dog as menacing if it considers that it poses a threat to any person, stock, poultry, domestic animal, or protected wildlife because of

any observed or reported behaviour of the dog; or
any characteristics typically associated with the dog's breed or type.

Councils must classify a dog as menacing if it belongs wholly or predominately to the type or breed of dog banned from importation into New Zealand - American Pit Bull Terrier, Dogo Argentino, Brazilian Fila, Japanese Tosa.

Menacing dogs must be muzzled when in public places and may be required by the council to be neutered.

So really here if you have a pitbulltype you must really dedicate to protect them for misrepresenting themselves and the breed or risk losing them or having them nuetered.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Oh ok so there is a bit of grey area there. Here when the breed is banned unless grandfathered in you cant buy or own one or breed and produce more. If they caught you with them and you didnt have the papers to prove they are grandfathered they can take your dog and usually by the time you fight to get them back they have euthanized them. { not in my province we can own there here but in canada there is a province or 2 that they are banned in still}.

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
Welcome to GP :D

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Welcome :) beautiful dogs!

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Welcome. Good looking dogs!

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Gorgeous pups! Welcome to the pack, and I hope you enjoy your stay on our yard. Interesting to know how other countries laws are written and how they enforce them. It seems as though you're a very responsible owner and that's what our breed needs more of, no matter where they're located. Glad to have you here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks very much for the positive comments on my young pack & my ownership of them dwn under on the globe! - is very welcoming - i'm happy to be here among others responsible & positive with the breed I think it is very powerful for the prejudiced APBT and pitbull type breeds when owners from all over can unite and share in a place such as this :cheers::woof:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts