Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm Ken 27 a former dog owner, not a pit but a fila brasiliero "Dune" who i recently lost. Im looking to purchase a new dog obviously you know the breed. I have been trolling the site for awhile. Im looking to purchase a puppy soon. Figured i would say hi and hopefully be posting pics of the puppy soon. If there are any local NY if there are any recommendations for a local breeder please let me know.

·
Rather be hunting/fishing
401 Posts
In order for anyone to recommend a breeder. You want what type of dog? Theres APBT, bulldogs, American Bullys, American bulldogs, and many more that fall into what most people think of as "pit bulls".

If you dont know what type, what are you looking to do with the dog? You want a pet, a weight puller, or agility or ....?

oh welcome to GP!

I had to look up the fila brasiliero seems like a cool dog, based off wiki....

·
Super Moderator
4,593 Posts
Welcome to GP! :)
Hopefully with answers to VB's questions someone in your area can point you in the right direction.

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,564 Posts
hi! and welcome to the posting side of GP! :D

and Vile! thats what i was gunna say. lol but yeah figure out what look and function u are looking for and im sure someone can point u in the right direction. heck, even post up pics of dogs u like.

Reactions: Arzu Kadak

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the advise i forget sometimes that the term pitt bull can refer to a wide scope. I'm looking for a APBT with size, i do and would also entertain an American Bully as loon as they arent tooo tank like. I would like the dog for a pet as well as obedience training as i know and have had experiences with very well trained pitt bulls. I really enjoy well behaved dogs and its just as fun for me to train the dog as it is for the dog to be rewarded and learn. Hope that helps a bit... My fila was awesome...i miss him every day, and i dont expect this puppy to be a replacement but would love the chance to have another great pet in other ways.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^ Not particularly but my other half does want a particular color which makes it a a bit harder. If we can find one that can be adopted i would gladly them to our home. The reddish/fawn color pattern or white and fawn color is what we are looking for now.

·
401 Posts
If you are just looking for a pet and in a color then I would imagine that you could get what you want with a rescue dog. if memory serves its 1 out of 600 pit types get adopted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^ we are avidly looking im not the picky one :) and there is currently no rush...we will keep looking if we find one in the shelter i would love to save a dog, if you have a breeder recommendation though i would explore that route also. That statistic is wild...

·
401 Posts
Also most rescue groups will let you set a I want this list. Atleast the ones in my area will.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Hi Welcome to GP doesn't really matter at all except its a pet peeve of mine, pit has 1 t not 2 :) Something really small, but I always like to help people realize it :) Looking forward to you getting a dog so we can see some pictures!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So my other half found a "breeder"......he has supposedly been doing this 7 years. The puppy comes with its first round of shots and deepening vet papers. He sent us a picture of the parents...dad on couch and mother on the floor in red. My gf likes the red one on left I'm just a bit leery.

http://db.tt/exFe6c3F
http://db.tt/Tea5xEs1

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
awww they are so cute! Whats makes you leery? You have a link to his web page? There are always red flags you can see when looking at sites if you link we could take a look and give you some thoughts.

you can also look into breed specific rescues as well if your looking for certain color and what not they can let you know :) I really hate when people pay for dogs from a BYB when there are so many similar dogs already needing homes. Its one thing if you research and know what bloodline you want, but if its just a color thing there are so many dogs I know you will find a puppy you want.

What part of NY are you from? City or upstate?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm almost certain he's a byb...no website but the parents at Least the mom look good. The pop looks a bit hefty. If he's been doing this legit 7 yrs I would think he has a website. She pulled the info from craigslist. I contacted a few rescues with my information and what I'm looking for.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
goods stuff about contacting rescues. Yeah, I would really really really stay away from craigslist. No reputable breeder, IMO would ever post their dogs on craigslist. They will probably charge a few hundred dollars, but you can get the same type of dog at a rescue who has more than likely had their temperament tested and other evaluations you would not get from a casual breeder.

Here are a few rescues in NY, I saw some fawn pups on one of them. Good luck!!
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/NY776.html
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/NY891.html
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/NY548.html

Reactions: ThaLadyPit

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just a tidbit of information, don't bother with CL when it comes to getting a pup. Those are all basically backyard bred dogs. What "color" is your other half looking for? If you are looking for a dog, why does it matter what color it is? Idk, that's only supporting bybs IMO and that is something you should avoid.
I'm on LI and I see a crapload of *beautiful* dogs in shelters around here, they even get a crapload of puppies. If you are looking for a breeder, I would suggest going to some shows, they have a tendency to have some in NJ, not so much NY from what I understand, or CT, they have a lot of dog people out there that could point you in the right direction.
My advice is either get a pup from a quality breeder (and I emphasize on quality) or from a rescue/shelter. CL is just asking for bad news unless they are basically giving them away for free.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts