Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi my names Catherine.. I'm from Northeast PA and we got a dog that was called an American Pit Bull Terrier from a shelter a few weeks ago. We named him Rogue (my boyfriend loves World of Warcraft and when he suggested it I liked it a lot) He was an owner surrender and we were told he was 5 months old. Now we took him to the vet, and she said at 5 months old and 60 lbs he couldn't be a purebred. I knew that much as well, being under the impression that a male full grown should be about 65 lbs or so.

She feels sure he is part mastiff, and I just want to ask if from his pictures any of you can discern if that might be true or if there is maybe another possibility? We will love and take care of him regardless and my husband has plenty of experience with big dogs (St. Bernards, GSD). It's just a matter of curiosity and maybe a second opinion.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Welcome to our pack and I hope you enjoy your stay on our yard! I'm on a guest network right now that's not allowing me to view attachments or signature pictures, but I can tell you that anything from the shelter is almost impossible to identify for sure. We can guess, just the same as your vet did. I can tell you though that even APBTs can be at the larger range of the scale, but I'd be questioning his age to weight ratio. 5 months and 60 lbs... seems a little heavy for such a young weight. I'll have to wait til I can see his pix to guesstimate what he might be. Maybe in the mean time someone else is viewing this, or will view this and can help you as well. Just hang tight, okay!? We'll help as best as possible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for welcoming me and responding.... So from what I've heard about shelters, they do a lot of guessing as far as what breed a dog is. Of course, they could even be wrong about his age, wouldn't you think? He has very little muscle to him right now, very thin about his shoulders(are they called shoulders on a dog? lol) and chest... which I'm assuming is because he is still young...?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
The usual rule of thumb for guessing the adult weight of the dog is to double it's weight @ 4 months... I would definately say ur gonna have a big pooch on ur hands real shortly lol. Dane or mastiff- either way an apbt isn't done growing until the age of 2- the first year they grow up and the second they grow out although they may continue growing past 2 years. I seem to remember big dogs timelines to go slower but someone else would need to chime in here. Regardless- welcome to GP :) u sure picked a handsome one!

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
welcome to GP :D he is a cutie no matter what he is!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot, I think he's a looker too, regardless of what he is. His personality is awesome too, a very happy-go-lucky goofball. So going by his weight at 4 months.... I'm guessing maybe around 50? So we are probably looking at about 100 lbs then.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Thanks a lot, I think he's a looker too, regardless of what he is. His personality is awesome too, a very happy-go-lucky goofball. So going by his weight at 4 months.... I'm guessing maybe around 50? So we are probably looking at about 100 lbs then.
Lol. Give or take yeah. Do you have a crate for him yet?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah my mother in-law gave us one and its fine but its the kind that is majority plastic and the front is the only part that he can really see through. We are going to pick up the regular kind that is open on all sides because I prefer that kind. Seems less boxed in. I can tell he never had a crate before but he has taken to it really well, shockingly well. He seems to like his little house.

Question though, since he is 95% housetrained, can we get a size that will fit him all the way until he is full grown? I know when you are housebreaking and using the crate, it should be just big enough for them to turn around in... But since he is pretty good with that, does that rule still apply? Also, do your dogs sleep in their crates? Is that ok to do?

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
yeah my mother in-law gave us one and its fine but its the kind that is majority plastic and the front is the only part that he can really see through. We are going to pick up the regular kind that is open on all sides because I prefer that kind. Seems less boxed in. I can tell he never had a crate before but he has taken to it really well, shockingly well. He seems to like his little house.

Question though, since he is 95% housetrained, can we get a size that will fit him all the way until he is full grown? I know when you are housebreaking and using the crate, it should be just big enough for them to turn around in... But since he is pretty good with that, does that rule still apply? Also, do your dogs sleep in their crates? Is that ok to do?
Welcome :) he is a big boy! I'd say maybe some great dane in him JMO......Yes. Let him sleep in his crate :) that is his domain ;) my girl was 4 months when I got her and house broke. I have the biggest wire crate you can get and she was fine. Some of the wire crates come with a divider so your pup can grow into it and you can adjust the space he has.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Welcome to the forum.Like was said by Blue Nose Bella they make some crates with a divider in them that you can take out as they get bigger and older.You can go with one of those if you would rather be safer then sorry.
2 out of my 3 sleep in crates at night and when I'm not at home and they do just fine.The only reason the 3rd doesn't is because I spoil her more than I should and let her sleep with my daughter.lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ohh that's a great idea we will do that, just definitely want a wire crate. Right now, we are letting him sleep the night in his crate and putting it on side of our bed.

I know I have lots of questions lol.... but do any of you remember about how many months your puppy was when it lost its first set of teeth? Bc when he came home his canine teeth had just fallen out and they are growing back now

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Ohh that's a great idea we will do that, just definitely want a wire crate. Right now, we are letting him sleep the night in his crate and putting it on side of our bed.

I know I have lots of questions lol.... but do any of you remember about how many months your puppy was when it lost its first set of teeth? Bc when he came home his canine teeth had just fallen out and they are growing back now
About 4 months old. My girl was dropping them like crazy out her mouth by 4 1/2 months old lol!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Then they are probably pretty accurate about his age... man it looks painful when they lose their teeth. Especially this one time my friends puppy is chewing on this bone and you can see her canine is hanging on by just barely a thread and bleeding too. Its moving back and forth, all over the place and she doesn't care one bit, just going to town on this bone. It gave me the heebie jeebies. But when I was a kid I would wiggle my lose tooth until it came out so I guess its the same thing.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Welcome to GP from Tx. I do have to say your boy is hamdsome and I see Dane in him not Mastiff, that first pic is a give away but that is JMO. And as for the crate thing if he is 95% house broken then I would go ahead and get him an adule size crate and he may not get to be 100lbs but close lol. PLease feel free to share more pics :D

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Welcome to GP from Tx. I do have to say your boy is hamdsome and I see Dane in him not Mastiff, that first pic is a give away but that is JMO. And as for the crate thing if he is 95% house broken then I would go ahead and get him an adule size crate and he may not get to be 100lbs but close lol. PLease feel free to share more pics :D
Great Dane's are Mastiffs, also known as German Mastiffs.
My Bandogge has Dane and APBT lines, if you are looking at a good idea as to weight wise Myles right now is 90lbs (give or take a pound) and he is right at a year. Danes are known for maturing at a much slower rate than most dogs, as many Mastiffs are. Generally speaking you probably won't see your pup fully matured and grown up until a year and a half to two years. A good estimate would be 90 - 110lbs if that is what hes mixed with. If it is another factor is if part of him was truly APBT or perhaps AmBully or AMstaff. Since you rescued and you have no idea of knowing what went into him its pretty hard to determine how big he will really be. I do know 5 months and 60lbs was bigger than my Bandogge was at that age.

Best bet is to just love him for who he is and as he matures maybe you'll get a better idea for what he might have in him.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
I do know this KM thanks, but clearly the Danes are more "petite" so to speak than Mastiffs or Bull mastiffs or the Neo's. I do not see Mastiff in this dog, but I do see the Dane, ok so yeah just classify it as a Mastiff/APBT mix

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Hmm...that's a tough one. 5 months is about the right time for a pup to start losing teeth and getting their "big dog" teeth, if you will.

As far as what he is or isn't mixed with... it's very hard to tell. I'm playing a guessing game with my own shelter dog. Shelter said lab mix, but vet said Rottweiler mix, and he had a checkup today and saw a different Dr at the same clinic and he says possibly GSD or Dobie mix. He's got the markings of a Rottie or Dobie, but head shape and wit of the GSD.

But, I digress and trust me, I'm not trying to threadjack here. Just showing you how easy it is to get caught up in what mixes make up your beloved pet when you don't get them from a reputable breeder. Now, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with a shelter dog or rescue b/c they need homes too. Just saying, don't really stress on what he's mixed with. Just know he's your furkid and you love him! That's the most important thing to remember.

No matter what breed(s) he consists of, you and Rogue are welcome here, as we love all breeds and species, not just the Bully breeds. Please stick around and continue to be a member here, and maybe one day, you'll venture down the path of owning a Bully breed yourself.

By the way, Rogue is adorable!! I love him.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Are his testis fully developed? LOL i know.But that will tell you right there if he is 5 months.We have a 5 month old right now and im callin him "peanuts" still. LOL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Yeah my vet said the same you all are saying too... I asked about Great Dane and she said yeah a definite possibility, One of her things was how much loose skin he has around his neck, and face and head. But we'll see ya know. And yeah actually his testes are developed and I can't wait for the neutering actually. Made the appointment for next month because she said 6 months is better than 5.

I have a few more pictures but we've had him only about 2 weeks and his energy level is either crazzaay or sleeping, still very puppy-like. (and theres drool all over the floor in these pictures, felt bad bc its not actually my place in these pictures, its the mother-in-laws house oops oh well)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts