Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So karma is 16 weeks she is a female and is not netured yet. She has never been aggressive or showed any signs very sweet. But today for we gave her a pig ear. She was laying down chewing on it and my son who is 4 crawled up to her she snapped on him about got his face. I pinned her down and scolded her. I then gave the pig ear back waited a min and then I approached her, her for went up and growled at me. I took it from her and put her in her cage. Please help I want do i do! And if I happens how should I scold her?

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
This is called resource guarding. While not ideal, it is something that can be worked on. A good method is to work on "trading". When she has a toy or treat, offer her something even better in exchange for whatever she has. This way she learns that you are not trying to just steal whatever she has; she benefits from letting you take it. Resource guarding can be hard to manage and progress may be slow, but it will improve.

In the meantime don't let her have anything high-value when your child is around. And definitely do not pin her down in response. By doing this, you will increase her fear that something bad happens when you approach her with a treat/toy and you will make it significantly worse.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I would find a good trainer or behaviorist in your area to help you work with your dog. I would give anything high value while the dog is crated until you can get someone in to assist you. Also teach your child when the dog is eating or playing with a toy they should have their own space.

·
Registered
870 Posts
How do you feed the pup? Scheduled or free feed?

To schedule feed is to promote "wild dog syndrome" in the pup. That is, they never know when they'll get their next meal, so consume it all at once.
To free feed, which I do, is to make sure the dish is always full. They eat only when they are hungry, and only what they need.
People who schedule feed actually pay more to feed than free feeders, too. Dogs eat less when free fed.

As for the pig ear...:I'll be damned, but if any dog of mine ever once tried to protect a treat, it would be the last they ever got, for a long time.
If it was a young pup of 16 weeks, I'd grab it by the neck, take the ear, and let it see me toss it out and lock the dog in a crate.

But, here is the good news: the pup has warned you it cannot be trusted. Therefore, if you do decide to continue these treats, MAKE SURE YOU KEEP KIDS AWAY!!!
Again, though, I'd never give it a treat if it was so protective.

I should mention this: some pups were bred badly, and raised by lazy and cheap breeders.
If the pup had worms, and was underfed, free feeding may never be an option.
You know a good breeder when you get a pup that doesn't consume all food before its eyes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts