Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boy has something going on...and I am freakin out. His paws get red & inflamed, and now his skin is looking red, I noticed a red, open patch under his neck maybe from scratching but...I am not sure.

I am currently trying TOTW, as we had Chicken soup last time and that was NO GOOD. He gets rice & fish oil mixed w his kibble as I am still trying to put weight on him. Also, satin balls 2, maybe 3 a day.

I called to see about getting him in for allergy testing but, I simply don't have over $300 to do it right now after all I jsut spent getting him and another rescue fully vetted and neutered :(

I feel like I should take the rice out of the equation but am not sure that he will eat very well with out it at this point.

HELP! I feel terrible with this poor baby obviously suffering and I am at a complete loss as to how to best help him out....

·
Rather be hunting/fishing
401 Posts
post pictures of anything that looks off. Pictures will help with several of the senior members who are extremely experience and or vet techs.

Also find a vet or group that will let you make payments.

·
Super Moderator
4,655 Posts
Which TOTW do you have him on? Did the redness start before or after the food switch? Benedryl is safe for dogs although not a resoltion, but more of a temporary relief. Have you changed anything else in his environment besides food?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am charging my phone so that I can get some photos to show, it will just take a few minutes.

I haven't changed anything else, but I had washed his bedding and used a tiny amount of bleach trying to make sure it was disinfected. I don't think that is the cause, I haven't washed in about a week. I am going to get some Dreft (like you use for babies) just for future use.

I don't think anything else has really changed? The weather here has been pretty crazy but, I am just guessing that could have some impact if not the cause. The only other thing I can think of is that I used cheap rice that someone gave me from a food pantry, but I would be surprised if that was the cause?

Also, I treated him with his Frontline Plus a couple of days ago but I put it on him last month and he didn't have this reaction?

He did have a skin infection on his belly when I took him in a few weeks ago for his neuter, but that cleared up with the antibiotics they gave me for him?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TOTW Sierra Mountain w roasted lamb, grain free.

We have a vet appt Friday morning to check but...that seems like a very long time to wait with him looking the way he does....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please forgive the pic quality, this phone isn't wonderful. Also, I am embarrassed
by the big brown dirty spot on his neck, that isn't typical...

The lighting isn't great on this one, but maybe you can kind of see...

He has a lot of skin tags? I asked the vet to look at them when he went in last time but they didn't say much, and the invoice says they took one off his front leg but that isn't one of the ones I was so concerned about...

·
Rather be hunting/fishing
401 Posts
Looks like bites to me, but I'm no expert. I will leave this to the right people.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am considering giving him a bath. I have Hertz oatmeal shampoo but was going to go research online first if there was a better option of irritated skin. I had grabbed this when I first brought him home because his skin was flaky but I am guessing something home made with less chemicals would be the best option right now..

Also, I would be surprised if it was bites. My other boy doesn't have any and like I said, he has Frontline plus his Trifexis is supposed to help with that?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, in doing some online research for a home remedy bath, it seems like food is still the number one indicator. I know TOTW is grain free, but is there a food that is thought to be above all others as far as allergies or sensitivity issues?
Trying to do all this research, but maybe I should also look at seeing of trying out Raw/Barf for a while does much to relieve his allergies? I just fear trying to jump into raw/barf because financially, things are tight this month and I am afraid it will be more expensive than I can maintain right now...

·
Super Moderator
4,655 Posts
Raw is definitely something to consider. Stay away from Hartz anything. If you can find some Zymox shampoo or Tropiclean has an Oatmeal Tea Tree shampoo that is good too, at your local pet store, that's what I use on Ecko. The food you are feeding shouldn't be the issue, unless he's allergic to lamb, which isn't one of the top allergies. Does he wear a collar? You should mix up a little apple cider vinegar and water solution to wipe him down with when he comes in from outside. Treat your yard and house for fleas just to play it safe. PK has a great thread on allergies. Use the search function and type in allergy diary. There are a lot of great ideas in there. The season is changing here so Ecko has flare ups now and then. One of his vets gave us some herbal supliments that have similar results to benadryll minus the grogginess. When I get home I'll try to remember to log on and post what they are.

·
Super Moderator
4,655 Posts
PS
In my opinion, from these pics it looks like flea issues. But I'm not an expert. I only know what I know from what I have learned from others. This is what my cat looks like when we get hit with a flea infestation.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will check out the allergy section, thanks! And hopefully the different vet we are seeing on Fri will have some helpful suggestions.

I haven't seen any fleas, and again, he is double protected so it would be very odd to me if that were the case.

I did read somewhere that the skin being dry can cause them to lick and scratch a lot which could explain it I guess, it just looks kind of extreme to me for it to be a result of dry skin. Especially since I give him fish oil w every meal and have only bathed him the one time when I first brought him home.

I can say too, that I noticed an improvement when we were eating BB. I wasn't adding the fish oil as much and the flakes in his skin were almost gone.

Since it will take a couple of weeks to really be ready to make the RAW move, is there a more hypoallergenic food to try in the mean time or does it just vary by individual need?

·
Super Moderator
4,655 Posts
You might try the Pacific Stream formula. Fish is generally the last straw as far as kibble allergies go. Continue with the fish oil, try the shampoos I listed see what the vet says. I'm headed home now so I'll post those suppliments after I feed my boy his dinner and get the kids dinner started.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you! Also just read the allergy diary and I am excited about that. I am going to start that process tomorrow since I need to get the Dreft & dawn without bleach. But at least I can up his Benedryl for now which is great to know!

Also think I am going to get the TOTW Salmon/fish to see if that helps. If not, Moose can eat anything so it's not like it will go to waste :)

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
I agree looks like fleas or somethings bothering him, try Benadryl to see if it gives him some relief. You got spiders? usually feet licks and bumps are allergies, just the trouble figuring out WHAT. How long have you been on the grain free kibbles? If its been a few weeks I would try to change the protein and see if that helps if you are not into Benadryl long term. Also the change ins seasons, could be allergic to pollen ot other outside stuff, does he shake his head more often or lick when he comes back from outside more than just for fun?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, he doesn't shake his head more coming in. I have specifically noticed this because it took us better than a month to get his ears cleaned up after bringing him home.

And looking through allergy posts here, I looked up mange online, because I didn't really know what it was...I am slightly concerned now as the vet did give me antibiotics for a "skin infection" last time we went. The spots on his stomach cleared up but they never said, and the paperwork doesn't clarify what kind of infection it was...I am starting to wonder if I didn't get some blanket or bed clean after bringing him home that has some back...

At this point, I am reading so much, even taking notes, I am starting to get confused as to what I am looking at....grrr

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just got the TOTW grain free a couple of days ago and I don't think the BB that I had purchased before was grain free so, removing the grain is new. I am going to look up a substitute for the rice I have been adding to his kibble now...

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
No, he doesn't shake his head more coming in. I have specifically noticed this because it took us better than a month to get his ears cleaned up after bringing him home.

And looking through allergy posts here, I looked up mange online, because I didn't really know what it was...I am slightly concerned now as the vet did give me antibiotics for a "skin infection" last time we went. The spots on his stomach cleared up but they never said, and the paperwork doesn't clarify what kind of infection it was...I am starting to wonder if I didn't get some blanket or bed clean after bringing him home that has some back...

At this point, I am reading so much, even taking notes, I am starting to get confused as to what I am looking at....grrr
haha I hear that! SOO Much information. Baby steps, you will figure it out, just takes time. Deep breaths, lol you can do it!! My boy had a slight case of mange I was able to control and get his skin back to normal with monthly doses of revolution (https://www.revolution4dogs.com/default.aspx) I did not do any scraping or anything, just put him in this for a few months and it cleared right up and has not re-occurred. My boy would get red under his pits and raised fur on his head that stopped wrinkles, and excessive shedding. I caught it before too much hair loss, does your boy seems like he is loosing hair more than regular shedding?

I just got the TOTW grain free a couple of days ago and I don't think the BB that I had purchased before was grain free so, removing the grain is new. I am going to look up a substitute for the rice I have been adding to his kibble now...
Stop the rice, if your grain free and then giving grains it defeats the purpose. What are you adding the rice for?

Have you looked into adding Fish oil? It helps with skin issues, dryness, etc from the inside out.

·
Super Moderator
4,655 Posts
Antronex 2 tablets twice per day as needed. Its a holistic form of benadryl less groggy. Allerplex 2 capsules once per day. Its supposed to build up antihystemines in the system. Both ar hollistice the brand I have is standard process. I haven't looked yet, but I'm sure you could get them online or at health food stores. Keep us posted on how things go. Hopefully your pup gets better soon.

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
Antronex 2 tablets twice per day as needed. Its a holistic form of benadryl less groggy. Allerplex 2 capsules once per day. Its supposed to build up antihystemines in the system. Both ar hollistice the brand I have is standard process. I haven't looked yet, but I'm sure you could get them online or at health food stores. Keep us posted on how things go. Hopefully your pup gets better soon.
nice! Thanks I will look for this, always hate drugging up my boy if he acts up, luckily it hasn't happens since last year so I hope I got it figured out, but I appreciate the Holistic forms of anything.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts