Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well let me start from the beginning for about 3 weeks my dog has been very lethargic and coughing we took her to the vet on Friday they ran a diagnostic bloodtest, Heartworm test, fecal test. They found out she had a growth in her ear and needs a $1900 surgery in which we cannot afford so were holding off on it for now until we can take her to her regular vet to get double checked and get money anyway they found the growth, ear infection, and hookworms, she has been dewormed and has had 2 antibiotics a day for 6 days still really lethargic and she coughs everytime she goes outside even if outside for a few minutes but at the vet everything sounded good I bought her a bag of 4 health dog food after people on another forum bashed me for feeding pedigree well she just barely wanted to eat it and then I bought her a 2nd bag and she refuses to eat anything except for table food and purina one dog food we have for my moms little dog, we have tried canned food she wont eat it and I don't want to waste that expensive bag of dog food we bought it 2 days ago and she hasn't even taken a bite of it and she has to eat because her antibiotics cant be taken on an empty stomach how can I make my dog eat this new food my dad thinks its because shes sick but yet she eats table food and purina one but not her 4 health I put it in her mouth she spits it back out. How can I get my dog to eat and why is she not getting any better why is she still so sick she is 3 years old

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Sounds to me like she's being picky with the food, or maybe something is wrong with the food itself. Check the "best if used by" date on the bag, and inspect the food closely for any possible mold/mildew growing on it. If that's all good, then try adding some warm water or gravy or juices from any meats cooked to her food, maybe a tablespoon or so, and mix it in really good.

As for the cough, there has to be a reason behind it, if she's HW-, then perhaps kennel cough is to blame if there's no congestion in her chest/lungs. I would get her in with her regular vet and definitely get her double checked, a full work up. Please keep us posted on her progress. Hope she feels better soon.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reason we took her to the other vet is because her vet doesn't take care credit and that's the only way we could pay thy did a complete full workup

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Could be picky could have another issue. A healthy dog will not starve themselves. With that being said your dog is sick. I would feed what he will eat, even if it's "mcdonalds" get her healthy and then try and get on a better quality food the better the food the less she will become sick. It does sound like kennel cough or the dog flu that's been going around. Hope the growth gets better for her and it works out with your vet.

Sent from Petguide.com App so please excuses the typos

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She didn't get sick like this until I switched her to 4 health she was doing great on purina never got sick I switch her and she's extremely sick I honesty don't think she's going to make it

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Something else must be wrong. Unless it was a bad bag of food like Bev said or if you switched it all at the same time. Did you slowly introduce the food or just switch?

Sent from Petguide.com App so please excuses the typos

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I slowly introduced it to her the vet says her lymphnode in her neck is larger despite antibiotics and she believes she's got lymphoma cancer we will know when test comes back in about a week

·
scratchin hard
2,147 Posts
Just being honest here,so dont get butthurt. But if you cant afford to have the ear surg. I dont think you could afford the cancer treatments. And this needs to be said; please dont let the animal suffer! Do the humane thing and have it put down before you let it suffer threw all the crap and pain.

That being said i truely hope it works out to good for the dog!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts