Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I desperately need to find a new home for my American Staffordshire Terrier right away. None of my friends can take him and I don't want to bring him to a shelter. I have checked local Pit Bull Rescues/Refuges and they all seem to say they only take strays. If anyone knows of a nice family that can handle a lovable 65 lb Am Staff with anxiety issues, please let me know. He is friendly with all animals except for dogs. We are located in Southern California.

Or if you know of a safe place that will take him (like a pit bull refuge) please let me know.

A little back ground:
I have had my dog (Pete) for almost 7 years; he will be 8 in February. He was red tagged at the shelter because he was a pit bull with bad leash aggression and hated other dogs. He was so agitated at the shelter that he even bit one of the handlers (nothing bad though, not even broken skin). We saw a lot of potential and we were right about him. We worked out his leash aggression (he's great on walks). He loves to cuddle and play with laser pointers. He's wonderful with people, cats, mice, snakes, and any type of animal except dogs.

A year ago, we moved to a new home. The back yard is slightly smaller, but he seemed to be doing really well. Then we had a new neighbor move in next door with 3 huskies. Pete got along fine with the huskies through the fence, but the owner would scream at his dogs all day long. I was home one day and could hear the yelling from my house and it was terrifying. Pete started eating/tearing up the doors, door frames, blinds, drapes, drywall, and anything that would help him escape the house (thankfully he didn't). We tried everything to calm him from having people stop by during the day to comfort him to medication prescribed by his vet. We can't afford professional training though.

My husband and I just went on our honeymoon and were away for 3 weeks. He is terrified of kennels, so we had a friend stay with him at the house. While the friend was at work, Pete chewed the locks off the front window, chewed through the front fence, and bit 2 dogs that were being walked on leashes. Animal control picked him up, but because he was so well behaved with humans, they put him back in the house and our friend secured all the windows by screwing them shut. The following week Pete managed to remove the window from its frame and escape again (chewing through the new fence) and bit 2 more dogs. The owner got nipped while trying to separate the dogs (no pierced skin) but animal control had to quarantine him. My landlord revoked our pet agreement, but we still have another year and change on our lease. Needless to say, this was the most stressful 3 week honeymoon I could have imagined.

I found him a new home with a friend who has a lot of land and some cats for him to play with. It has been 1 week. I just received a message today that he is still being destructive and they can no longer keep him. I can't have him at my house anymore at all. I don't know what to do. I am traveling a lot for work, my husband is working on 13 day cycles, and my grandfather died yesterday; The stress is really getting to me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
Where are you located? Are you sure you've contacted every rescue? I think you should try them again and stress that it's essential he goes to a rescue or he'll end up in a shelter. If you drop him in a kill shelter he'll probably be one of the first to be euthanized considering his history and dog aggression.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I know what I am going to say isn't going to sit well with some people but here goes anyway, let the hate begin.

If it turns out that you ABSOLUTELY cannot keep him and find a way to keep him contained, and you CAN'T find anyplace or anybody who can take him, please don't let his last days be in a shelter. You've had him for 7 years, any separation from you has already proven to be extremely stressful for him.The right thing to do IMO, would be the hardest thing for YOU, but I think better for him. Take him to be euthanized. Let his last days be filled with love and happiness, let him take his last breath feeling secure in your arms. I know, it would be heartbreaking but think of him. What would be worse? If he ends up in the shelter I think given the past with him, he WILL be euthanized, in a terrible place, without anybody he knows around him. Think about it. Please. For him.

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
^ I agree. I'd obviously try and find a home first, but if it comes down to a shelter, it would be better to have him humanely euthanized yourself.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
I know what I am going to say isn't going to sit well with some people but here goes anyway, let the hate begin.

If it turns out that you ABSOLUTELY cannot keep him and find a way to keep him contained, and you CAN'T find anyplace or anybody who can take him, please don't let his last days be in a shelter. You've had him for 7 years, any separation from you has already proven to be extremely stressful for him.The right thing to do IMO, would be the hardest thing for YOU, but I think better for him. Take him to be euthanized. Let his last days be filled with love and happiness, let him take his last breath feeling secure in your arms. I know, it would be heartbreaking but think of him. What would be worse? If he ends up in the shelter I think given the past with him, he WILL be euthanized, in a terrible place, without anybody he knows around him. Think about it. Please. For him.
I actually have to say that I agree. The dog has to be in a great deal of stress, and I think it would be best to spend his last day stress free with the person he loves. I would hate for him to be passed around a bunch because no one can handle the destruction caused by his separation anxiety, then have him land in the shelter and be put down anyways.

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
If you want to keep him either with you or a friend...I'd invest in a heavy duty steal crate that he can not get out of....not just leaving him free roam

·
Registered
200 Posts
No hate coming from my corner. If it comes down to you taking him to a shelter because you cannot find a rescue who can work with him, putting him down yourself would be the kindest thing you could do for him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts