Go Pitbull Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like I really hate her. She does not listen. She wont do any of the basic commands that I have been trying in vain to teach her since she was nine weeks old. She is now 10 months! I am at my wits end. I give her commands and she just stands there wagging her tail. I try to establish dominance by flipping her on her back and staying on top of her for up to thirty minutes and it does NOTHING. After I do this, the next time I let her outside she will run away. Im almost inclined to not find her next time. I know this makes me sound like a horrible person but I need help. I really hate her and if something doesn't happen soon she's getting the boot. The bad thing is that I run a doggie day care. I know about training. Nothing works with her! Please help!

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
Like I really hate her. She does not listen. She wont do any of the basic commands that I have been trying in vain to teach her since she was nine weeks old. She is now 10 months! I am at my wits end. I give her commands and she just stands there wagging her tail. I try to establish dominance by flipping her on her back and staying on top of her for up to thirty minutes and it does NOTHING. After I do this, the next time I let her outside she will run away. Im almost inclined to not find her next time. I know this makes me sound like a horrible person but I need help. I really hate her and if something doesn't happen soon she's getting the boot. The bad thing is that I run a doggie day care. I know about training. Nothing works with her! Please help!
Rehome her to someone who may love her. If you hate your dog, it wouldn't do you any good to keep her. If she is your pet, then she is your companion. Training isn't that hard. Its basic obedience. If you truly want to keep her, I suggest working with a real obedience instructor. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
If you have that little self control and patience when it comes to animals you don't need a pet period.
here is hoping she has SOME since she runs a day care....

how much activity are you giving your dog each day? If my pup does not get enough (as in at LEAST a 3 mile min walk a day, with a half hour of hard play (flirt pole, fetch, laser chasing, etc) he acts up, nothing like you described. Normally he gets about 5 miles and an hour of play. It could be you trying the Cesar Milan approach, flipping on back etc. That's not going to show anything but you can flip your dog on its back. How do you feed her? Do you have other animals in your house? how many people live with your dog.

I also agree with the above, if you hate her, she is going to sense that and no you don't respect her, why should she respect you?

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I don't know how you can expect anyone to take you seriously you say you want help but your willing to throw a dog out in the streets because you have no patience and self control to work with your dog? Hate is a strong word and if you hate this dog that much and can't control your temper that you would just give the dog the boot than you don't deserve to own any pet period. Don't throw the dog out in the streets give the dog to someone who has the patience and self control to work with the dog and provide a loving home. I wouldn't want to listen to you either if you hated me. I agree with Ames turn off the discovery channel Cesar Millan is a dog trainer you are not what you see on TV is edited and scripted and unless you know what your doing and why your dog is not going to respond the way you want her to.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Why did you feel like you had to flip her on her back? Just because she wasn't listening?

Have you thought about getting some outside help, like a certified behaviorist? Just because you're a trainer doesn't mean you don't need help. No trainer can say they know everything, and if they do, that's your cue to run the other way.

edit: also, if she runs away from you when you let her outside (which I would too if I got thrown on my back for [likely] no apparent reason [according to your pup]), why are you letting her outside without a leash or something on to prevent that?

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Ames I have a hard time believing anyone that run's a business for dog's could be that irresponsible to just throw a dog out in the streets or let it run away because they can't get the dog to do what they want it to do. Here's a thought hire a professional to come teach you some patience with your dog! This sounds like a case of the owner needing to be trained not the dog.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Oh, you're right. I misread their original post.

OP, you need a trainer to help you. One who can be there to witness the interaction between you and your dog and figure out what's going on. We can't do that over the internet. There are a million and one possible reasons as to why your dog isn't listening to you, whether it's something with the dog or you. A (good) trainer will help pinpoint what is going on and get at the crux of the problem.

But, out of curiosity, how are you training her to do commands? For instance, how are you teaching her to sit? What is your procedure step by step? Also, I would advise against flipping her on her back--stop doing things that aren't working (like "rolling" her and letting her outside without apparent containment whether leash or fence and expecting her to come back when, IMO, it seems like you're freaking her out by rolling her).

If something doesn't work for your dog, keep reading and learning and seeking other ways to accomplish what you're trying to get your dog to do. Not everything works for every dog and you have to be flexible and work WITH your dog. Don't expect your dog to be anything but themselves and make allowances for that in your training.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Ames I have a hard time believing anyone that run's a business for dog's could be that irresponsible to just throw a dog out in the streets or let it run away because they can't get the dog to do what they want it to do. Here's a thought hire a professional to come teach you some patience with your dog! This sounds like a case of the owner needing to be trained not the dog.
I agree 100%, but I have been burned on here before for making assumptions, lol. I was trying to give the benefit of the doubt, lol. Owner training needed, not dog training in this situation agreed as well....

i also ask the question kane did, why are you letting your dog off leash? You can NEVER do this in public, even with a well behaved dog that listens, you own a breed that needs to be on leash all the time. Get a long lead for training as well, your dog should NEVER be off leash.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Man, is this really a thread?

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
oh man sits there with the tail wagging? God help you!

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
I got a vison that this thread was started for kicks n giggles. U don't fool me Mr Scarter

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I just got a vision of how this Doggy Daycare is operated ever see the movie Misery? LOL Except for dogs!
HAHA, poor pups... now that's all I picture. poor pups fending for themselves trying to stay together til their owners come pick them up...

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
Rampage vs jones this Saturday! Yeeaaah!

Lol oh was this a real thread?? Ppssst yea right

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
Good lord don't throw the dog out rehome it and NEVER get another dog. Seriously as said before how dare your dog just sit there wagging it tail sounds like a demon!

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Maybe your dog is deaf and you are approaching training the wrong way.

I had days when Loki was a puppy that I wanted to get rid of him - puppies are cute sure but they are also need guidance or else they will become very destructive. Submission flipping isn't a tool for dogs who aren't listening but for dogs with dominance issues. A dog who sits there wagging its' tail is not being dominant, it is just waiting for you to figure out how to properly communicate with it.

Plenty of exercise for the dog and patience from you should be all you need. Pit bulls are incredibly eager to please and very trainable - stubborn yes, but trainable. Perhaps a new home for her would be the best thing for both of you.

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
Deaf was the first thing that came to my mind as well, either way I ssy the op rehome to someone that will love her

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.