Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my four year old blue Josef APBT. He has grain allergies, but we have him on a grain free diet. He spends all day outside sunbathing, chasing animals, napping, etc. I mean all day from like 8am-7pm because once winter kicks in, he'll only be outside about 30 minutes a day. Well today, I brought him in and noticed these two marks on his underside. The first one you see is right in his underside, next to his penis (yes that's what is in my hand). It's real raw skin and if I touch it, he flinches real bad. The second image you see is right on the inside of his hip. It has two black dots and the area is a little swollen. Anytime I lift his leg to check it out, he freaks out and pulls away when he touches it. I have noticed fleas flying around him when he's been napping outside. I do have him on a flea and tick preventive, but it's an off brand. Any idea what they are/how to treat them? And, is it really worth it paying the extra money to get frontline flea and tick?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
That almost looks like a burn to me.

Yeah, the better stuff is worth it. The cheap stuff may be cheap, but it doesn't work very well, so it's a waste of money IMO. You're also much less likely to have serious reactions with the better quality brand name products, they have higher safety standards.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
BC is right. quality flea meds are worth it. as well as heartworm prevention.
my first thought is bee or wasp sting. sometimes the wound can turn dark where the stinger went in. also take a close look to see if the stinger is still in there. tweezers to remove if so... ice pack. and a benadryl. he will be fine.
second thought, the raised edge and red outline make me think ringworm or another fungus. but i think those chances are small.
good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts