Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3.5 yr old male American Pit (Chino) and he has loads of skin issues. In the Summer/Fall his feet are always raw, his ears get torn up and raw, he has 2 symmetrical red spots on both sides of his manhood ( which have tiny bumps) and now he just started losing his hair on his back in small patches and the skin in that area is becoming very flaky. I have had him to the vets countless times and can only come up with temporary solutions like Genisis a topical steroid. He has been tested for mites which was negative. I am assuming this to be seasonal allergies but I feel terrible for the boy! I also feed him a grain free diet, Taste of the Wild. Does anyone have any suggestions to help my multitude of issues besides a dermatologist?

·
Super Moderator
4,652 Posts
Small doses of Benadryl. Try getting anti microbial wipes and wipe him down every time he comes in from outside. If it is environmental and outside this will help reduce the constant exposure. Search Allergies and look for the one done by Lisa aka Performancekennels. She always has fantastic advise and I believe the thread she did is a sticky and has TONS of advise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He has been on Benadryl and im almost certain it is a seasonal allergy. The rashes do not go away unless I put the Genisis steroid on it. If it were food or his bedding I would assume that he would have these issues year round. Thank you for your help and the link, I will check it out.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Well Tempest had both food and seasonal allergies. I treated for allergies and make sure you are dosing the dog correctly, if you are not giving enough benadryl then it is pointless. Tempest always seemed itchy when in the winter but it was not full blown like most food allergies like you would expect. I switched her over to grain free and she no longer has itchy skin now that it is winter. The food allergy was mild but aggravated the seasonal and contact allergies. I would start with a good grain free food, fish oil, and benadryl like in the thread posted above.

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
You can also add Salmon fish oil to the food each day. It helps make the skin and hair softer, so if he has dry skin it might make a difference. My pup has seasonal allergies and beef allergies. Benadryl works for the seasonal and he is only eating grain free chicken now. Along with the fish oil, I also give him soaks in ppure oatmeal baths, for about 15 minutes. That will help ease the itching too. I use real oatmeal in a blender until it makes a powder and then add some boiling water and add it to a tub. Pour it over your pups body that's not submerged and don't wash it off, just pat him dry. It doesn't smell weird or anything, and it makes him really soft. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts