Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have a 7 month old pitbull whose is absolutely adorable.. besides a few training miscues my biggest grips is the fear he displays.. i dont know the reason for it. but any sudden moved,click,clack,bang,boom,drop,split,splat.etc sends him for the hills. im doin my best as far as exposing him to things.. any tips as to dealing with my pups shaky ness will be welcomed.. also he loves to be confined in one area or his crate. and its a fight to get him out his crate.. he usually finds one spot in a area and will literally sit there all day

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
Time. Repetition and love. Thats what you need :)

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
some dogs are just naturally shy and skiddish , takes a bit more effort on your part and ALOT of socializing. Take him everywhere you can and expose him to everyone you can , work out this fear issue young before he is larger and can turn that fear into something bad. If you have to drag him out of the crate close the door on it so he cant run back in it. I have a girl who is like this too { more if its raining} but have to drag her out and close it so she doesnt run back in. dont baby talk or soothe him when he is showing fear, that will nurture that behaviour and encourage him to continue, ignore him. praise and baby talk when he is doing something positive or responding to you . if his tail is tucked physically remove the tail from between his legs and bring it out to a natural position , our trainer had us do this with one of ours and it really helped. can also try having him on leash even in the house so if he does flip you can correct it fast and he cant run away from the situation, if its something you can recreate do it over and over until he is used to it, like if its fear of cars walk along a busier area where there are lots of cars, if its bikes get a friend to ride a bike past him over and over ect. just make sure you have control so noone gets injured.

Reactions: s.mariegreene

·
End-F0rum-Communism
717 Posts
Sometimes its difficult to deal with this because some dogs are naturally anxious. Some dogs even bite out of fear, so it makes them a bit dangerous sometimes.

Here is something that someone handed down to me, I was getting some tips on showing, and one of them was playing loud music while you're training, so they can get use to the loudness that take place at shows.

Dont taunt the dog, i too get scared when unexpected noises pop off.

I am no trainer/vet, but it comes form personal exprience Good luck!

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
If you have treats on you reward everytime a loud noise goes off. And if it continues to go off do some tricks and continually reward. You'll want to try and build a positive association with it.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
How long have you had this pup? Has he always been this sensitive? 7 to 9 months is the secondary fear stage, so you may notice an increase (or an occurance of) this type of behavior. I try not to force the issue, as negative associations with scary situations or objects can tend to cement that fear. I try to work below the dogs threshold and encourage/reward any efforts made by the dog to explore on his own.
Some dogs are more sensitive to noise then others, have you noticed any particular types of sounds he seems more sensitive to or is it more generalized?

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
Not to sound harsh but... This is abnormal behavior for an APBT sure some dogs are like that naturally, but it would them be considered a faulty temperament. I'd suggest getting a breed savvy behaviorist/ trainer involved ASAP. If this pup was from a breeder, I'd contact them immediately for guidance as well.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
would you recommend some occasional dog daycare
No! Doggy daycare is just like going to the dog park, only worse. At Doggy Daycare, nobody knows your dog like you do, so they don't know what to watch out for, or when to remove your dog from an excitable situation like you would, and your dog is more likely to snap, bite, or jump on another dog. Then, you're faced with legal issues that you don't want to deal with, as well as possibly being banned from the doggy daycare. If your dog is fearful, this is one of the worst situations you can put your dog in, and are setting him up for failure. I do hope you find a trainer/behaviorist soon and establish what route to take that's best for your pup to get him on the right track.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Beastley jumps at sudden noises and he is 3y/o. He then looks around to see where it is coming from. He will then slowly move towards it to check it out. I never react to his jumping. I simply pick the item up if it has fallen or continue on with whatever we are doing. If you don't react he may grow out of it. He is still a pup things like this are a part of growing up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts