Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have my first pit dont really know bout breeds too much but he is 6 months (red nose) when im walking him he tends to pull away his tail doesnt swing like the other pits i see walking unless my kids are outside with us...someone plz help me:confused:

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
What do you mean pull away? If he is pulling you on walks he is trying to go places lol

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Dogs have different personalities and my guess is you have a pretty independent dog. nothing that you did caused this just the dog's personality. I have a few in my kennel like that and they do not want to be loving and would rather do their own thing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no he pulls like he doesnt want to go......i dont have a problem with him outside just when we start to walk he gets in this mood where he doesnt want to move and i dont know y

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dogs have different personalities and my guess is you have a pretty independent dog. nothing that you did caused this just the dog's personality. I have a few in my kennel like that and they do not want to be loving and would rather do their own thing.
i kinda figured that....he is a whole different dog when he is outside with my kids (7 & 5 yrs of age) but when its just me and him he more quiet and alert to everything and at times he doesnt wanna walk places he just wanna do his 1 2 thing and go back in the house

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
If you are walking him and he stops you keep walking into the leash he will either drag or decide it is better to walk on his own power. dogs learn what gives them success and if putting the breaks on lets him get his way then he will always do it. This is an extreme behavior but definitely a learned one. I cannot be 100% sure this is what it is unless I see the dog but it sounds like it. I have a client I started seeing last week who has the same problem with her dog and he is now over it in just a week.

Make sure your dog cannot back out of his collar and if you are going for a walk and the dog is not tired, over heated, hurt, and everything is fine he just does not want to move then you just ignore him and drag him along. Most dogs will put up a fight only for 5 or so feet before they learn they need to walk on their own. In bad cases with walking on a soft collar does not work you can put them on a prong collar on a dead ring and walk into the leash. If you have to go to that extreme let me know. Do not use a slip collar for this it can be dangerous to the dog, slip chain can cause damage to the neck.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
If you are walking him and he stops you keep walking into the leash he will either drag or decide it is better to walk on his own power. dogs learn what gives them success and if putting the breaks on lets him get his way then he will always do it. This is an extreme behavior but definitely a learned one. I cannot be 100% sure this is what it is unless I see the dog but it sounds like it. I have a client I started seeing last week who has the same problem with her dog and he is now over it in just a week.

Make sure your dog cannot back out of his collar and if you are going for a walk and the dog is not tired, over heated, hurt, and everything is fine he just does not want to move then you just ignore him and drag him along. Most dogs will put up a fight only for 5 or so feet before they learn they need to walk on their own. In bad cases with walking on a soft collar does not work you can put them on a prong collar on a dead ring and walk into the leash. If you have to go to that extreme let me know. Do not use a slip collar for this it can be dangerous to the dog, slip chain can cause damage to the neck.
:goodpost: To add, i have always used prong (pinch collars) collars as a training tool, this may be a good useful "collar" for your situation depending on how extreme it is. A properly used prong collar will correct the behavior quickly and in many cases make training an ease and effective. However if the pulling is too extreme it may do more harm than good, i would need to actually see whats going on to really determine if this would be beneficial as all dogs and cases can be different.

Otherwise i do agree with PK.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks alot

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:goodpost: To add, i have always used prong (pinch collars) collars as a training tool, this may be a good useful "collar" for your situation depending on how extreme it is. A properly used prong collar will correct the behavior quickly and in many cases make training an ease and effective. However if the pulling is too extreme it may do more harm than good, i would need to actually see whats going on to really determine if this would be beneficial as all dogs and cases can be different.

Otherwise i do agree with PK.
its not bad he actually does walks but on certain days he does it i just didnt understand why he does it.....im not the yellin type of person but when i drag him then he gits the picture im just want to kno y he does and can he be broken out of it....but the info has been great thanks

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I call that Donkey Dog Syndrome! lol If you keep walking and drag him and it works but he still always seems to stop every time you walk then try a prong collar. Prong collars will not hurt the dog unless you hung them in a tree, now I know you are not going to do that but you get my point. What it will do is make it uncomfortable for him to stop and make your point faster ;) No need to jerk or pop the prong and make a correction just walking into the leash should be enough. What I mean by walking into the leash is dog should be on your left put the leash across your thighs and walk, that is "walking into the leash". You have the slack of he leash in your right hand. Hope that makes sense.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.