Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my two pups are both almost 6 months, we had been keeping them in the bed with us for a while but have decided that until we get a bigger bed ( we are in a full.. Two humans and two dogs?!? What were we thinking) or until we can trust them on beds(yes I know with two you have to watch at all times I'm not saying both will be on beds all night... Different topic right now) SO we have been putting them in their crates at night. My boyfriend and I work rotating shifts (7a-5p/3p-1a/10p-8a) and we aren't on the same schedule. Autumn and Gage were doing GREAT in the crates without a problem. Now, if we stir at all they start this HORRIBLE wail that you could mistake for someone harming a dog... And it's LOUD!

Example: last night they got into their crates at about 11:15pm I am on day shift so I got up at 6 as soon as my feet touch the ground it starts, BUT when only one of us is on day shift the other handles the dogs, so we can all get a little more sleep, so really they weren't supposed to "wake up" until 8:30-9 when my boyfriend gets up, this is also this normal time when everyone is off.

So my question is, what is causing this?? When they were in the bed and one of us got up they would sit up, but them lay back down without a fuss, but like this morning I rushed them out of the house thinking it was a needed potty break but once they were in the crates it started again anyways ( and my female peed in her crate over night anyways, so I don't know if it was really a potty break or not)

I don't understand what it could be? Their crates are downstairs both in separate areas at the moment ( working n getting both into one room) so could it be anxiety? I mean this wail is like nothing I've heard from a dog before. My boyfriend describes is as the sound of a drowning dog.

Help?!?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
It's all part of crate training. Ignore them. You can try covering the crates as well.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
put a radio or TV on. Maybe they have to go the bathroom and being uncomfortable makes me have to go the bathroom. Maybe in bed they could go back to sleep. Can you put blankets and stuff to make it feel more homey? or are the eaters?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They aren't eaters but it seems like it doesn't matter if there is a blanket or not Autumn will pee. Now that you mention putting a blanket on the crate I did that once and they stayed quieter, I try that and a radio too. Hopefully something will work

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Make sure the crate is only big enough for them to tabs and turn around. No walking allowed. The crate should get bigger as they grow (put a plastic pail flipped over or a box to claim some space) You can also try covering the crate with a blanket too to make like a little cave.

Angel baby also mentioned a ticking click also helps soothe pups. I had only heard that for kids but she said it has worked for pups!

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Never thought of a pail or box, they aren't chewers but I don't know how they would do with that...ill have to try. One of the crates is a good size the other is HUGE but we have a divider for that one. The male Gage is normally in the smaller one and he seems to wail the most

·
Registered
901 Posts
They are seeking attention and you are teaching them when they wail, you come. It's a hard task to learn like a child needs to self soothe. If they learn that when they make a noise you will respond. I know that wail well. lol Mine does it when I'm on the phone, computer etc and he wants attention. As far as the crate I agree with the others, shrink it and make it comfy cozy if they are not chewers. Don't use your good stuff though, just in case. Use an old comforter or blanket. I got mine from a second hand store, washed it and then rubbed my scent on it and placed it in the crate and one over it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts