Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I apologise in advance as this is not about pitbulls and its going to be long, but I remember from lurking here before that there are some responsible people who tie out their dogs here? I hope that was this forum. If not, well oops.

Anyway basically my friend has this uncle who lives out in the country, he has two dogs a shepherd and a collie, they have a big garden but no physical fence only electric. Recently they had complaints from a very angry farmer about killed chickens and he found their collie nearby who was blamed for the chicken killing, the uncle was very angry and was telling my friend he was even considering PUTTING their collie to sleep!! :( So she asks me, do I know anything that could help, as I have four dogs. But I live in the city with a 6 footfence and four dogs that are all indoors, and all I could think of was a tether for the night time and when they are not there. This is a very controversial topic however and I don't want to be responsible for advicing them to do this and have their dog choked the next week or something! But what else can they do, the farmer will shoot their dog and I don't think the uncle is going to consider fencing their whole property.

So what I am asking is some info or links on how to PROPERLY tie out a dog. What is safe, what is NOT safe etc.
I feel awful for this collie it is totally not his fault all dogs I know would kill a chicken, if he gets put down for this well... I'll be angry!

Sorry for the long post and lack of pitbullness, but I would really appreciate some advice. I am part of a great dane forum but all I would get told to do there is tell him to pay for a fence, which I know he will not do and this dogs life is on the line.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
All I get when I google it is TETHERING IS CRUEL and TETHERING WILL KILL YOUR DOG, I know it can be awful if done incorrectly, a member of the great dane forum posted on the forum a picture of her neighbour's dog which had got caught up on a fence and choked to death.. But I just don't know what else can be done if he won't fence!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
it can be done properly use the search function at the top on the page there are lots of threads with this info. Im from the country and not all dogs are chicken killers , we stand by the rule once the dog has a taste for killing them they wont stop. best to try and rehome the dog to the city. if he had been on my familys farm he would have been shot , dont know what the rules are out there for that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn't rehome the dog for killing a chicken, they live in the country so they should've know they might have come into this problem so they should deal with it! Not just pass off the problem to someone else lol. This dog would do horribly in the city too, he's an outdoor dog never been used to walking on a lead etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh also I live in ireland, not everyone can have a gun only hunters and farmers etc, and farmers can shoot your dog ONLY if its on their property threatening lifestock. But they can report it after the fact and get your dog taken by the council.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts