Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I had a feeling this problem would arise with my 5 month old pup Chance. He is so used to being the center of attention and now the baby is home he is tearing up everything! I know it is him starving for the attention he was getting but there has to be something I can do. The other morning I awoke to shredded shoe boxes and last night I caught him under my 5 year olds bed chewing up the box spring. I don't want to cage him at night because I never have before, there has to be something other than that I can try first! I love him to death but I also would love for my house to stay intact! LOL,,, He definitely is teething as he only has 3 canines left to fall out so this could be some of it. He got to go everywhere with us before the baby came home and got all of the attention and treated like a baby and now he doesnt get all the attention. Open to any suggestions. He is a PET not for any other purpose but a loyal family pet.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Crate training is really a great thing and isnt cruel its the best way to save your furniture and house and it gives them there own space that is quiet and just theres. During the day i leave my crates open when some are out and alot of the time they willbe in there sleeping on there own. Its not a bad thing and a really helpful tool if used right. Sounds like he has some pent up energy that needs to be worked off, Id try to up the play time and training time. Burn that energy physically as well as mentally. even and extra hour playing or 20 minutes here and there throughout the day working on obedience and commands will help im sure. { cant really work a 5 month old pup , but taking for extra walk during the day and more play time one on one will be good for him}

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Crate training is really a great thing and isnt cruel its the best way to save your furniture and house and it gives them there own space that is quiet and just theres. During the day i leave my crates open when some are out and alot of the time they willbe in there sleeping on there own. Its not a bad thing and a really helpful tool if used right. Sounds like he has some pent up energy that needs to be worked off, Id try to up the play time and training time. Burn that energy physically as well as mentally. even and extra hour playing or 20 minutes here and there throughout the day working on obedience and commands will help im sure. { cant really work a 5 month old pup , but taking for extra walk during the day and more play time one on one will be good for him}
He is crate trained I just dont like to do it at night. He naps in his crate during the day on his own. I know these are higher energy dogs and I try to play with him at least 2 hours throughout the day and most of the time he gets more than that. I have thought from the beginning he should have more energy than he does but now that he has hit the 5 month mark and the baby has came home he has gotten alot more energy. I knew I was going to run into some problems once the baby got home but I figured it would be more of a jealousy thing than him tearing things up. He has oodles of toys to play with and up until the baby came home he didnt chew on anything but his toys. Could it be because he is losing his canines? He has already lost all of his teeth except his canines. I could just be over worrying on this but I dont want him to form bad habits that I can't break and him carry them all through his life. Would it help if I walked him instead of taking him out in the yard to play? We have a 10 year old female but my fiancee and I weren't together when she was a pup so I am new to the puppy stages.

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
I would try more mental stimulation, flirt pole, spring pole, fetch, longer walks. DO you have a treadmill? I found especially in the colder times, it was a lifesaver for my pup. Especially when its icy out I put him on it for about a half hour. Could be a good thing to do when your newborn is sleeping?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would try more mental stimulation, flirt pole, spring pole, fetch, longer walks. DO you have a treadmill? I found especially in the colder times, it was a lifesaver for my pup. Especially when its icy out I put him on it for about a half hour. Could be a good thing to do when your newborn is sleeping?
Thank you Ames. I have consider the flirt pole and spring pole but had been told it was considered fighting paraphanelia where I live so havent done either yet. I will try longer walks for now and if it does seem to work I may invest in a treadmill.

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
Thank you Ames. I have consider the flirt pole and spring pole but had been told it was considered fighting paraphanelia where I live so havent done either yet. I will try longer walks for now and if it does seem to work I may invest in a treadmill.
They are as well at my house. But in some areas hand walking is considered training your dog to fight. As long as you are not fighting your dog, you have nothing to worry about IMO. (unless of course there are fines involved then I don't blame you) In some places a treadmill is also considered fighting tools, so you can't win.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are as well at my house. But in some areas hand walking is considered training your dog to fight. As long as you are not fighting your dog, you have nothing to worry about IMO. (unless of course there are fines involved then I don't blame you) In some places a treadmill is also considered fighting tools, so you can't win.
I am not sure if there are fines in my area I will have to check on that before I try any of the above. If they came and inspected my dogs they may think my female was used for fighting but she only has scars because she is blind and walks into everything now. Poor girl!!! I swear the laws you have to abide by to have this breed is becoming outrageous!!! I want a good looking dog not one for fighting. If I wanted one for fighting I wouldnt parade him around my neighborhood for everyone to see. LOL

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
I hear ya! This is my boy and his scars:

He got the scar when he was only 4 weeks old and his litter turned on him after he hurt his paw (that's the story I got anyway) Both front legs (around his elbows) are all scared up, along with his belly and back leg. After living at the vet for a week and a half we got him home when he was about 5 1/2 weeks. So I know how it goes, sometimes I answer honestly about what happened to him since its not unusual, and sometimes I just say it happened before I got him and don't know. Its all good, so don't worry, as long as you are responsible and treat your pup well, you will be good.

I also used a real real old treadmill and its fine, so you can get a cheap one on craigslist if you don't have one. or make them yourself if you are handy. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts