Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My puppy is 3 mo old, 23 lbs, pitbull/shepherd mix. Got him 1 day after he was neutered from the shelter. From the second day, he has been itching a scratching.
First thing he did when we brought him home was go to the litter box and eat cat poop. He hasn't done that since.
I had him on Purina Puppy chow for 3 days until I read how bad it was. I threw the 30lb bag away and got Blue Buffolo for puppies, it is chicken based. He has been to the vet twice bc he has been itching and scratching ever since. For about a week, only fed him Blue Buffolo and chicken deli meat to get him to take antibiotics. He is in that bc of his constant coughing and sneezing, also I give him benedryl twice a day. (excessive coughing, gagging, spitting up and sneezing has subsided for the most part, still does it on occasion, think it was kennel cough?)
He also took Trifexis for flea and heartworm prevention.
At his second vet visit, he got a anti itch shot and helped for 2 days.
his cough and sneezing is finally subsiding, but now his rash is getting really red and all over his tummy and grnitals. his nipples are bleeding from it scratching and biting.
his stool is very loose, but he is regular. kinda like soft serve ice cream. he keeps eating grass. I used herbiside to kill all grass in my lawn about 2 months ago and he eats dead grass, could that be causing it? It has poured rain since multiple times.
I bathed him in flea and oatmeal shampoo, put lotion and conditioner on him which contains aloe and oatmeal. I use hydrocortisone spray. helps a little but ultimately I need to find out what is causing his rash and outbreaks. originally, there were very small dots that looked like hard small pimples all over, it wasn't that much but def causing irritation. those have seemed to go away and replaced by rashes and redness.
he is on antibiotics for 3 more days and I stopped feeding him deli meat this morning and just forces him to take the antibiotics. (read high sodium content was bad for dogs)

Please help, I am thinking it could be the grass or Blue Buffolo. The food was expensive and it is a 30lb bag, but willing to get a different food if it will fix this rash problem. any ideas? I feel that my vet either doesn't care or clueless as he does not do a thourough checkup and prone to giving him expensive meds and Shots before even trying to find the root cause.
Spent close to $1000 in the 3 weeks I've had him and it's not getting any better. I was thinking about getting Sciene Diet lamb based food, bc maybe he is allergic to chicken? Any sure way to know it's not flees or mosquitoes? or any way to find out it's grass? so many variables, this is driving me nuts. also he licks everything

·
Super Moderator
4,616 Posts
The easiest thing to change is the food. Start with that. Try to find a grain free fish kibble. Take a couple of weeks for the transition and give it a couple more to show a change. I also recommend a tablespoon of coconut oil daily as well as a tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar with the mother daily. Both of these will help his coat and help build his immune system.

·
Dirty Girl
927 Posts
My girls food allergies only appear on her stomach. I'd definitely switch to a grain free fish based kibble! Once we did that her rash cleared up and hasn't come back since!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
he's been on blue buffalo for 13 days now. should I go ahead and switch or should I wait? also what brand is fish based food?

·
Super Moderator
4,616 Posts
Acana Pacifica is a great food. Fish based and grain free.
You should always take at least 2 weeks to transition from food to food. Makes it easier on the pup's belly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Acana Pacifica is a great food. Fish based and grain free.
You should always take at least 2 weeks to transition from food to food. Makes it easier on the pup's belly.
I don't see it at my local petsmart. but any fish based grain free would do? what's the next best thing next to fish?

·
Super Moderator
4,616 Posts
They carry Blue Buffalo Basics Salmon. It's fish, and limited ingredient.
Acana can be purchased at Chewy.com for a fair price.
Fish is best because it is considered a "cold" food when it comes to allergies. Chicken and most red meat are "hot" foods.

·
Dirty Girl
927 Posts
Any high quality fish based kibble will be fine. I think the next best thing would probably be duck, turkey or lamb.

See if you have any mom and pop owned pet stores near you. They usually only carry high quality feed. I use the Tractor Supply brand grain free 4Health food for my guys and it comes in Fish, Turkey and Beef.

Here's a list of 5 Star foods
Five Star Dry Dog Foods | Dog Food Advisor

And 4 Star foods
Four Star Dry Dog Foods | Dog Food Advisor

The 5 star foods are all grain free I believe and most of the 4 star ones should be. I haven't clicked all the links though lol.

Reactions: EckoMac

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all your help guys. there aren't that many fish foods out there. I can't find any that are fish, grain free and for puppies. my puppy is 23 lbs but still only 3 and a half months old so I think it being puppy is important. can it be fish and not grain free? what if I feed him fish based, grain free but not puppy?

·
Super Moderator
4,616 Posts
Grain free is for all life stages. "puppy" food is a joke.

·
Dirty Girl
927 Posts
I've fed my now 5.5 month old pup the same grain free that I've fed my adults and he's done wonderfully on it. On mine it says to feed like 3 times the guideline recommendation for the weight for puppies. It definitely made it easier to not have to buy 2 bags of food.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts