Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Being a first time dog owner isn't so easy especially since i have a pit bull.

I know his teething right now but last night he bit my dad in the arm and made him bleed, today he bit my mom in the hand made her bleed, and he just now bit me in my lip and I'm bleeding. I bought him plenty of toys, even bones for teething and whenever his biting we give him 1 of the toys to use. I've been smacking him with a newspaper...here we go I know you're all gonna tell me not to smack him with it on this site, but every other pit bull owner i know told me they do it too.

I need a way to discipline him whenever he does something bad, and idk what to do besides using the news paper, I cant lock him in his cage cause that's supposed to be a happy fun area for him...so please people give me advice this biting is pissing me off and i smack the shit out of him with the news paper in the heat of the moment wherever i catch him.

edit: tried the water bottle to spray him in the face, he likes it he wants me to keep spraying water on him -_-

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Smacking him is it working for you? seeing as he continues to do so should tell you that answer. Im reminded of the saying if everyone jumped off abridge would you? sounds like your talking to the wrong owners if there telling you to smack him . Dont get me wrong I Have swatted 1 or 2 of mine on the butt but not for something they dont know better like this case, And its not often in fact I can count on 1 hand how many times they have been swatted. The thing with this breed is they have a high thresh hold for pain and for them to actually get it your more likely to be hurting yourself. They do however have a very high drive to please there owners and using your voice will most likely get better results.
Your on the right track right now with replacing with toys when he chews or wants to bite, HOWEVER when he nips that is different you want him to understand that is a BIG no no. I would raise my voice to a very serious and powerful tone get mean, and give him a firm NO and exagerate how much it may hurt. Even while playing if he mouths you exagerate make him think the softest touch from his teeth hurt you , he will learn to be very gentle with the mouth.
If this happens while playing stop, the minute he gets rough or out of control stop the play turn your back ignore him. He will learn rough play will end the play . If he continues you can remove him from the scene put in another room or crate and give him time out to calm down again { my girl cali used to get nuts and just holding her on my lap and not talking or petting she would calm down}.
My adults now when we rough play if they grab my hand by accident will get very still and back off and are extremely gentle. Just exagerate everything now and big time. you will see her reaction when you change your tone and level of voice.
Are you crate training your pup?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yes everything AngelBaby said ^^^^. I'm just here for encouragement ha. When I first got my puppy she was doing the exact same thing. Biting people VERY hard. I was a little worried that she would continue this until she was big. And just like yours, my puppy was enjoying being scolded or just had no reaction at all to it. However, as i stayed consistent with my scolding, she started to improve, and before long she stopped biting hard all together. Also, it doesnt hurt when they lose all of their needle baby teeth lol

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
just what Angel said, stop with the smacking. Its not working for your pup. You could also try to get him a ball to use when you are playing so anytime he tried to bite down, he will just bite the ball and not you. I use a chuck it ball, not a tennis ball since they can get the fuzz off and eat it. Whenever I play with my pup now he runs for his ball before we play. When I come home first he looks for his ball and then I let him greet me. Does he respond at all if you make an over exaggerated OUCH when he nips you? How old is he? How much exercise does he get? My pup is extra excited and energetic if he doesn't get a few miles or some hard core playtime in during the day. He focus way better on his training when he is tuckered out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Physical disciplining is NOT the answer... the retard pitbull owners that told you to do so are definitely not viable sources. There are plenty of YouTube videos on training and what do in this kind of situation. The fact that this happened even more then once goes to show that you need to need to re-evaluate whats going on here....

Watch this and rethink your strategy
(this is definitely not the final answer or the law when it comes to your situation, just an idea. do your research, owning a pitbull is a bigger responsibility than other breeds, treat it as such.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts