Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 7 month old (male), roughly 70lbs, and his name is Apollo. He is the baby of the family. My husband and I have 3 other animals, 2 dogs and a cat. Apollo has always eaten in his crate. When he was a puppy he would carry his food bowl to his crate. He does not like eating around the other animals. In the past week he has become aggressive about his food. I used to be able to have him eat out of my hand, pet him while he ate, put my hand in his bowl, or even move it. Now, if I even go near his crate while he is eating he will give me "that look" and growl, and if I don't back up he will nip. I have tried looking up Cesar Milan's teachings but it doesn't seem to work with him. I have worried for my Chihuahua, she is only 5lbs. They have always gotten along BUT he doesn't understand he isn't the 10lb puppy he used to be, and has (accidentally) stepped on her before, when playing.

Any advice is appreciated, be honest, be harsh, I need some help with my pup! If I need to get his food aggressive under control.

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
I think you need to enlist a trainer or behaviourist on this one. That is a dangerous behaviour, especially if he's actually snapping at you.

Please do NOT use any of CM's techniques. They are outdated and in this case could end in disaster.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, he has even snapped at my husband (Alpha). But its ONLY when he is in his crate. When he is half out of it, he is his usual puppy self, but by God if he is all the way in his crate, he is mean and I actually worry that he will be bite me. My husband and I are worried he will harm the other animals, which then I would have to euthanize him, and I don't want to do that, or be forced to give him away, because it's not his fault.

This only started about a week ago. I noticed because that's when he had a patch of mange, regardless of the medication.

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
First of all, throw out the "alpha" mentality. Dogs do not operate on a hierarchy with humans. They do not view people as dominant or submissive beings. That school of thought was long ago debunked and treating them with those techniques only confuses and potentially scares them.

Second, bull breeds are commonly dog aggressive. It's a genetic trait. If you aren't prepared to keep your dogs separate should your bull breed ever display dog aggression, it would be best to rehome them to someone who's prepared for that possibility. Euthanizing a bull breed dog for displaying dog aggression is like euthanizing a Lab for retrieving a ball. Please do some research on bull breeds and their origins, they were fighting dogs and though most are far removed from those ancestors, many still retain some of their traits. That's something every potential owner should know and consider.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This isn't the first pit I have owned, but he is the first to show any signs of aggression. Its a recent development. I am curious, does anyone think it could he the fact that he has not been neutered? He likes to hump the cat, who doesn't seem to be phased by this. I was advised to get the mange under control prior to any operation.

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
No, I don't think so. I personally don't believe that the status of a dog's reproductive organs causes aggression. I left my male intact until 2.5 and he's never had any issue with resource guarding or anything like that, though he is dog aggressive. Neutering didn't change that in the slightest, nor do I think it would change your dog's behaviour.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree with BC, i don't think neutering causes that big of a personality change. Mine also was about 2 years old when neutered. All it did was stop the urge to wander. Lump isn't aggressive with dogs in the house, but he's unpredictable about dogs he doesn't know. Even with my own, if we leave the house I separate them just in case, no need to come home to a needless tragedy. Lump is great with all small animals and humans, it's just dogs that he is freaky about. Slim our other pit mix, loves everyone, dogs, humans ect. He was only just neutered, we got him as a rescue and he's probably 9 years old plus. Even with dogs who all get along, I always separate when I'm not home. Just a safe practice.

That said, I'd be concerned with him threatening you and your husband. I'd also contact a professional in this case, because if he does bite a human I would personally euthanize. In the meantime, since feeding in the kennel causes issues I wouldn't be putting any food in there for him. I'd probably also make sure the other animals are somewhere else when he's eating to avoid anything awful happening.

·
Premium Member
11,012 Posts
BC is right, neuter has nothing to do with it, his age is what could matter. Toss out that alpha stuff and Cesar and get a behaviorist involved who can recommend a trainer. 8 months is bratty teenage years, you need to find the best way to nip it in the bud now.

I would keep your dogs crated and separated from each other, any dog could have the potential to harm and if you are not comfortable don't put him in a position where he may react. Sounds like he may have been displaying signals since you are describing it as getting worse. Good luck!

Not sure where you are located Animal Behavior Society

Some tips on choosing a trainer: https://pawsforpraise.wordpress.com/2013/07/21/finding-the-right-dog-trainer-harder-than-you-think/

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts
Yea, he has even snapped at my husband (Alpha). But its ONLY when he is in his crate. When he is half out of it, he is his usual puppy self, but by God if he is all the way in his crate, he is mean and I actually worry that he will be bite me. My husband and I are worried he will harm the other animals, which then I would have to euthanize him, and I don't want to do that, or be forced to give him away, because it's not his fault.

This only started about a week ago. I noticed because that's when he had a patch of mange, regardless of the medication.
I was an ACO for 4 years, and the worst bite case I ever saw was from a choc lab. I had been to his house a month prior to the incident, and witnessed a friendly, happy dog who happened to like chasing people on bikes.

The bite? He was in his outdoor kennel, and the neighbor's young girl leaned over to pet him. He almost ripped her throat out. She almost died. He was very kennel aggressive. Very sweet guy outside the kennel. Raging fiend inside of it. He raged for 10 days of quarantine, and was summarily put to sleep.

Just FYI on the possible severity of his issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.