Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my dogs just started fighting and are getting worse. We got Paisley when she was a puppy and Kobe we adopted her about 3months ago. They both are not spayed (yet).

Kobe is deaf and has some brain damage and was adopted from a relative of ours and her and Paisley have played numerous times and never had a problem. When we finally brought Kobe home they got along great, until about a two weeks ago.

When kobe runs her circles she does (cause her brain damage) paisley will keep going after her trying to nip at her and "play"than sometimes kobe gets annoyed and they start growling, paisley will bring a toy to her and make kobe chase her but thab when kobe trys to get a stick or toy paisley sneaks up on her to take the toy and run and they fight.

Now theyll fight over the garbage can sometimes even though its never open or food my daughter drops occasionally. They are both crate trained and when there not fighting there cuddling together

Im worried they might fight to close to my daughter which is 2 and something bad will happen please help!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
Separate them, crate and rotate. No high value items out when both dogs are out, and crate them when you feed people.

It is not uncommon for bull breed dogs to be dog aggressive. In the cases where it is, managing the situation is the best you can do. Crate and rotate is your safest option, and the only one I will recommend. Dog aggression in these breeds is genetic and can not be trained out.

There are other things to try, but for your situation with a young child, crate and rotate is your safest option.

·
Banned
134 Posts
Kobe is deaf and has some brain damage and was adopted from a relative of ours and her and Paisley have played numerous times and never had a problem. When we finally brought Kobe home they got along great, until about a two weeks ago.

When kobe runs her circles she does (cause her brain damage) paisley will keep going after her trying to nip at her and "play"than sometimes kobe gets annoyed and they start growling, paisley will bring a toy to her and make kobe chase her but thab when kobe trys to get a stick or toy paisley sneaks up on her to take the toy and run and they fight.

Now theyll fight over the garbage can sometimes even though its never open or food my daughter drops occasionally. They are both crate trained and when there not fighting there cuddling together

Im worried they might fight to close to my daughter which is 2 and something bad will happen please help!
It's hard to know exactly what is going on here, but you probably need to follow the suggestions given.

This SOUNDS more like "snarking" at each other, because it sounds like they aren't real serious. Dogs playing or just being annoyed with each other can make blood-curdling sounds and "appear'' to be fighting...

I am wondering if the odd behavior of the one with brain damage is contributing to the arguing?

Either way, you do need to keep toys, food, etc away from them when they are together...and you might have to do the crate and rotate, depending on how serious they actually are....which I can't really tell.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Hello my dogs just started fighting and are getting worse. We got Paisley when she was a puppy and Kobe we adopted her about 3months ago. They both are not spayed (yet).

Why you would keep a two year old around a dog deaf and with brain damage, especially with another dog, when they are prone to have jealous fights......
You have a dog that is best to be put down IMO. I know a guy who, years ago, had a deaf dog and it mauled his young step daughter and he lost his marriage and will be paying for countless plastic surgeries the rest of his life.

You have a dog way out of your capability to handle. That much is clear. You wouldn't be here if you had control.

GET RID OF THE DEAF DOG AND YOU WILL HAVE A MUCH BETTER LIFE AT HOME.
NOW THAT YOU KNOW THE PROBLEMS, IF ANYTHING HAPPENS TO YOUR DAUGHTER YOU WILL BE 100% TO BLAME AND SHOULD HE PROSECUTED FOR NOT TAKING HEED TO THE WARNINGS!

Some of you who come on here with these issues have no business owning dogs if you can't understand that even low quality "pitbulls" are prone to fight.
Although, from what you say, it is jealousy and possessiveness, not true prey drive, that starts it.
Fixing them will do nothing.

But your relatives you got the dog from show their stupidity by not having put down, or at least fixed, the deaf dog.
That is hereditary and you'll end up with a litter of deaf puppies with brain damage as well. Which, the best thing to do would be to cull the whole litter, to save them a life of suffering.

Smh. When the hell are people gonna listen?
Their stupidity makes them wait for tragedy.
I feel sorry for your daughter!!! She does not deserve the risk of being hurt badly of or killed, all due to her "mommy's" love for "doggies."
Grow up and do the right thing. Again, anything happens, you are 100% responsible and should be held accountable!!!

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
While Goemon's post is a little rough, I have to admit I was concerned when I read that you have a deaf, brain damaged pit bull and a two year old daughter. Kobe may be a saint of a dog, but is powerful with or without the impairments, and you may not fully know the extent of the brain damage or how it will affect him over time. I have to agree w/ DickyT, Crate and Rotate seems to be the only safe solution if you are going to keep both dogs.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Shes never alone with them and kobe is a happy dog that loves people and lived with 4 other dogs its just paisley she has a problem with but way to be a dick

I'm speaking truth. No, dog aggression is NOT A FAULT with dogs that are "pitbulls." It is their nature. To punish them for it is cruelty!!

Dick?

Sad that I care more about your own child than you do.

Pathetic.... Oh, poor baby, I offended you by speaking the truth.
Grow up. Whatever happens it is YOUR FAULT NOT THE DOGS!!!

·
Registered
870 Posts
Just you having two dogs together that fight, anywhere around your child shows how irresponsible you are, for endangering your child!

Shame on you! If anything happens, you belong in prison!

·
Registered
870 Posts
Child mauled by pit bulls remembers attack

NC child mauled by 2 pit bulls; one dog killed by deputies | myfox8.com

Two Children Killed By Pit Bulls Last Weekend

Here are some things to think about. You must have the great American disease, "it won't happen to me."

oh, I'm a bad guy because I know and have seen what can happen to kids.

You idiots only want others to follow the narrative you want to hear and when people warn you and speak the truth, you get all offended like a weakling.
Grow the hell up.

You're the monster if you ask me. You endanger your kid just by having two dogs, one deaf and damaged.
Then you betray the dog you already had by making her the bad dog.
Shame on you!

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
Shes never alone with them and kobe is a happy dog that loves people and lived with 4 other dogs its just paisley she has a problem with but way to be a dick

A problem is still a problem. These dogs need to be separated, and I agree with Goemon that a deaf dog around a small child is a dangerous situation.

At 1 1/2 Kobe is just starting to mentally mature, a typical turning point where dog aggression can surface in bull breed dogs. Some much earlier, some later, but 18'ish months is a typical turning point for many.

Dog aggression is genetic, and it is normal in bull breed dogs. Separate, separate, separate! If you "need" to have both dogs out at the same time, absolutely no high value items can be out. No toys, no treats, no food, NO CHILDREN...

Lock both dogs up when you feed your kid. A fight breaking out at the base of the chair over fallen food is not only asking for damage to both dogs, but potentially severe injury to your child.

Personally I would never have a deaf dog around small children, especially a powerful breed. It is an accident waiting to happen. I would rehome to someone that can responsibly handle such an animal, or put him down, for the safety of all. Deaf dogs can get very aggressive as they age, so this may just be the beginning of worse to come.

Sorry if you do not like my answer, I am a realist, and I always put the lives and well being of people before animals.

·
Registered
870 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
No i dont think that and am not irresponsible but i came her for advice and and what to do not a long hate column

And I have given advice in both of my above postings with no hate in my words.

I have not seen you acknowledge the advice, but you pointed out Goemon's harshness.

Being somewhere across the internet from you, I can only deduce that my advice will not be considered, and that you are looking for some magic wand to wave.

There is no easy fix here. There is no training the fight out of the dogs, there is only management of the situation, which is separation (crate and rotate) or downsize the families dog count in which ever way suits you best.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I acknowledged the advice and started to crate and rotate today thank you everyone just stessful hearing someone telling you to put your dog down or get rid of her sorry

·
Registered
119 Posts
I know some of the comments here seem harsh, but these people love this breed and don't want to see another story in the headlines.

I would be hesitant to have two female pitbulls who are fighting, not to mention a deaf one, around my small child. Not because I believe this breed is dangerous, but because of what could happen if she was in the middle of one of their scuffles.

I love animals and I love the under dog, but I realize not every one should be kept as a family pet.

I hope I that you are able to find a solution that keeps everyone safe. Stick around this forum if you are open to learning. I have learned a lot here. :)

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Ok

rjhirdes, take heed of the message not how the message is delivered. These folks know what they are talking about. I just visited the emergency room with an injury to my right hand from two dogs fighting. My hand has stitches and is majorly scarred and I am in a lot of pain. You do not want this for your child.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Shes never alone with them and kobe is a happy dog that loves people and lived with 4 other dogs its just paisley she has a problem with

Sometimes I don't like everyone I hang out with all the time either. Sometimes you grow apart sometimes a dog just don't like another dog. Find a good trainer to work with you to mange them or start rotating. Dogs can live long wonderful lives without ever interacting with another dog. If the issue is just around food or toys then stop having free food or toys. Your daughter should be kept away from them while they or she eats. Separated when given toys it's very manageable you just need to be diligent and give them their space when toys and food are involved and get some help from an experienced trainer to work on it.

When you say brain damage what do you mean? Did he get into an accident that caused a traumatic brain injury? How was the "brain damage" diagnosed? Just because a dog is deaf doesn't mean they have brain damage.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts