Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stumbled into the info about 2 week shut down today. Unfortunately, I've had my foster pitt-mix for about a week.
I've failed on a few fronts on a 2 week shut down.

From those with experience:

1. Is it possible to implement an effective 2 week shut down when you work full time?
2. Can you do a 2 week shut down on a dog that is resisting his crate? (a lot seems focused on continued use of crate)
3. If the dog is showing signs of anxiety when I'm leaving him (escaping from his place, continued bark/howl (for hours), chewing up his bed, knock down gates, and pee/poo) is a 2 week shut down going to help?

When I'm there, he's a velcro dog and always watching me/following me.
This doggo was supposedly crate trained by prior keeper, BUT had other dogs around. When I go to work, it is only him in the house. It's gotten to the point, I'm afraid to leave him so I curtail my extracurriculars.

Help. I don't want to be a foster failure, but I'm afraid I'm causing this dog harm if this anxiety keeps ramping up.

·
Super Moderator
4,586 Posts
2 week shut down generally is for trust building and not overstimulating. Not necessarily putting the dog in solitary. Also not necessary for all dogs.
I would say your first step should be to exercise the dog. Work on a walking routine in the mornings, then you'll be crating a tired dog. Not a wound up dog. Lots of exercise and training sessions will make things easier for both of you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts