Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all.

I did not want to hijack another of the 3-4 threads on the forums so I decided to make my own.

I have a 2 year old Pitbull. When we first took him in, he was diagnosed with "seasonal common allergy." That is all I know though. My ex gf was the one that took him in while I was at work 1 day.

They put him on a steroid that seemed to help a bit but we were told as well as the research I did about the steroid that it has long term effects on his liver so I decided to take him off it and find another way.

So far, no luck. We did get his hair back on his belly feeding him the Sweet Potato and Fish from Natural Balance with a splash of Salmon Oil, on top of bathing him in JaxnDaisy Shampoo and Lotion.

But lately, its coming back with a vengeance. Red rashes on his belly, the scabs, and his mild hair loss. Nothing has really changed except the fact that we go to the park every day now since my living arrangements have changed since then. So I am pretty much convinced that its just his allergic reactions to the cut grass at the park we go to.

Unlike most things I read on this forum, my dog does not bite, chew or scratch. He does lick his paws since I can see they are red and irritated but he does not seem to be in pain at all. The slight hair loss sucks. Its on his rib cage, around his eyes as well as his snout. He does get the "pimples" on top of his head, but they seem to just be bumps that do not bother him.

But I would like to help him as much as I can to make him feel/look better.

Any tips?

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
i also try to avoid medications when possible.
allergies are tricky. there is never a simple solution. you may need to try a combination of treatments.
Natural Balance with fish oil is a good starting point. i'm not familiar with Jaxndaisy but if his skin is broken then i would use an antibacterial, oatmeal type of formula.
i think a probiotic is important. they are cheap and they will pay off in the long run as the dog gets older. i would also consider a separate vitamin E supplement.
a buddy of mine uses a spray bottle with an apple cider vinegar mix. not sure what exact ingredients are but you can probably search for it. he sprays directly on his dog's belly after grass exposure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
sounds to me sounds to me like a yeast infection this could be caused initially by an allergic reaction to food or a weakened immune system. A weakened immune system cannot fight or control yeast properly which causes a yeast infection. My dog got a yeast infection after being impounded (wrongfully).
Also, dogs that are given immunosuppressive drugs such as corticosteroids (steroids) may also be unable to effectively prevent yeast infections, so may develop a chronic yeast infection.
You can try the following but what worked for Biggs was the coconut oil.
1)Benadryl, 1 mg. per pound each pill is 25 mg. Crushed up and added to his food, buy the generic ones from .99 cents stores. It will be labeled "Diphenhydramine" this is the "active" ingredient in the name brand Benadryl.
2) Organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar with The Mother. Make a 50-50 solution of Distilled Water and ACV. as long as there are no open sores sprayed on your dog's belly and on his fur before you go out to the park and when you return the same mixture also repels fleas and ticks. you can also add 1 teaspoon to his drinking water the ACV pH helps to control yeast. Make sure you add an extra bowl of regular water in case he doesn't like the one with the ACV so he doesn't dehydrate
3) Organic Virgin Unprocessed Coconut Oil. One teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight added to his food. You can also rub it into his fur. This has been actually amazing for Biggie's condition. The redness from his belly was gone within 2 days
his ear infection was cleared up and his coat feels like a mink now. LOL And he no longer has even remotely smells like a dog whatsoever.
I'll upload a picture of what his belly looked like so you can see if your dog has the similar type of problem.
Good luck.
P.S. I also suggest using Zymox Shampoo and Zymox Conditioning Rinse

·
Registered
9 Posts
I suspect my pit mix to have allergies as well. I tried dry food with venison and gosh, we had a horrible reaction to it that I switched back to Taste Of The Wild Pacific Stream (salmon based). And her coat that once was patchy and rough became silky smooth.

I also read that paw licking could be a sign of yeast allergies. Maybe he has some food allergies as well? Try eliminating common food allergy groups from his diet?

I hope he gets better soon !

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts