Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got my first Pitbull. I got her from a backyard breeder who had her in bad condition living so I had to take her in...She had an infection but recently took her to the vet to take care of it. The breeder told me she's about 2 1/2 months but no papers but he said the father has paper & he's a razor edge but I believe that's complete bullshit. I had no money for this dog and felt bad so I traded her for my Xbox 360 which is WELL WORTH IT. I'm seeking for friendly advice or any tips on how to take care of my pitbull. My girlfriend & I been showing her much love and feeding has become pretty decent with her. She only eats one a day which is odd so I make the portion bigger for her. She's also pretty train and listens very well. Also I might be changing her food to Blue buffalo instead of Nature's Recipe.

Here's some pictures of her. I forgot to mention her name is Amala which means Hope. She's weighting about 15 to 17 pounds.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
She's a cutie! I've alway's put out a cup in the morning and then one at dinner. They tend to eat what they need and I adjust depending on activity. Some days there is food left over, you just got to get a feel for it. They are a dog that aim's to please so positive reinforcement is loved by them. Praise for good behavior and a stern NO for bad. You'll never want to own another dog again.

Also, keep them active. A tired pitbull is a happy dog. Not too much hard working out when they are young, but she can fetch. Keep her stimulated and she'll be well adjusted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the post fishinrob, I been noticing she eats only around 4 PM. & She's very active because I have a JACK CHI also that plays with her but I don't know if they are playing or fighting. Sounds a lot of growls and bites. I made a flirt pole for both of the dogs and test it out today and they loved it. They were knocked out after the work out. Do you have tips for potty training or leash training, Leash training has been the hardest for me...I got her a body harness if that helps leash training.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Since you feed at 4 you know within an hour when it's going to poop. My first dog, I controlled water intake to 4 times daily then took her out within a half hour and that worked pretty good, but my wife believes in water full time so with Maggie it became a job of really watching her. They really have accidents until about 14-16 weeks and really pick it up at that time. I use the words "go potty" then try to wait until she does then huge praise. It does get frustrating at times when they are little, so you've got about a month of staying really on it. Crate training when not home is vital, but a pup your age has 3 maybe 4 hours of holding it in, max. I think it increases an hour with each month. You'll learn when they start circling, or run off real quick, that she's about to go.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
What kind of problems are you having with leash training? A regular buckle collar works fine for training them to walk on the leash. First I usually let them drag it around to get used to it. Then after they seem comfortable hold the leash and take a step and encourage the puppy to come with you. Tell her what a good pup she is when she follows you with the leash on.

She is super cute!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@fishinrob I also believe in 24/7 for water for a pup. I wish she would eat two times a day though so I feel she's getting enough nutrients and proteins in her body.

@Aimee235 She always tries to pull me so I have to pull her back so she can be by my side or behind me. I also allow her to drag her leash around that's not the problem though. It's just the walk.

@rodrigo Thank you very much.

Thank you guys for all the advice keep them coming if you can :)

PS: Merry Christmas.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@American Pit13 Thank you for the warm welcoming and thank you for those links. I read those already but seek more advice. The more knowledge the better :)

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
@American Pit13 Thank you for the warm welcoming and thank you for those links. I read those already but seek more advice. The more knowledge the better :)
That is great to hear! I am very glad you have already seen them :D I have been into dogs going on 12 years and am still learning, so your attitude towards learning will help you be the best owner you can be for your little girl. It is nice to see someone so open to knowledge. :woof:

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
welcome, you have a beautiful pup! I finally changed my dog to the Blue Buffalo Wilderness, the grain free because he had some issues on non grain free kibbles and I am a little apprehensive towards feeding raw at this time and grain free worked for my boy.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
@ames Thank you, Also how big is a pitbull average out around 3 months and when do their paws turn black?
The pads you mean?? My boys pads on 3 feet are pink, not black (unless he is in the mud or I have not washed my floors, lol) and he is 3. A good way to tell your dogs eventual size is to double the weight of your pup at 4 months, that is kind of a good indicator to what their adult weight might be. Each dog is different depending on what makes them up., My boy is am AmStaff and they tend to be 4-60lbs and APBT tend to be 30-50, but its all depends of source some are bigger and some are smaller. American Bully's can be all weight ranges from the classes in Pocket to Extreme.

Do you know what breed of dog you have?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@Ishdat a Pitbull, Thank you

@EckoMac, Thank you & thank you for the welcoming.

@ames, well the owner only told me that she was maybe mix 50/50 of blue & red but the mother look like the color of your pitbull of fawn no whites, look more muscular and the father look gray tall and muscular also but he was yoked when I say muscular.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
@ames, well the owner only told me that she was maybe mix 50/50 of blue & red but the mother look like the color of your pitbull of fawn no whites, look more muscular and the father look gray tall and muscular also but he was yoked when I say muscular.
well Blue and Red are just the colors of their noses, so a mix of blue and red isn't a purple nose, lol, its just the color of nose that they currently have. A lot of people mistake blue nose or red nose for a breed. Its really just their nose color. My pups mom and dad had a red nose I am told, but his nose is black.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@ames, you just taught me something in the future when I do get another pitbull I will laugh at the people who said I'll sell you a blue nose. haha. But from the looks of her pictures what does she look like? I will also ask the Vet on Jan 2 when I take her.

·
Registered
901 Posts
She is a beauty. What has worked for me when I got Beastley (18mthold then) was I would put his harness on, make him wait until I allowed him out the door. I allowed him to free walk with a leash until we got to the end of our driveway. That's when we worked on positive walking next to me. We will walk so far and when he would get ahead of me I would change directions unexpectedly and say "come", "good boy", treat. We then would walk and he would start to wander ahead of me then I would turn in another direction say "come", "good boy', treat. He learned pretty quickly that he needed to stay at my side. Now he walks loose leashed and stays close to me side. I randomly say "good boy" and treat as a reinforcement. It's been a year and we rarely treat I changed the food treat to "good boy" and a pat on his shoulder.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts