Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so a couple questions in this...
One is that we are still working on getting Boomer ready for his CGC test, his biggest issue, ignoring the other dogs. He is not aggressive just way to vested in what they are doing and completely ignores me.
Two, which actually goes along with question one, is that we have not found anything that is a real "motivator" with Boom. We have tried all manner of treat from generic "cookies" to jerky and even chicken and hot dogs, nothing. when he is in his outside world mode his just doesn't care about treats. he is also not a toy dog, his only toy he may play with is his rope which just triggers his "i wanna jump" play mode.
I need someway to atract his attention to continue work on ignoring outside sources, any ideas??? And remember he is an adult at almost five years old so this is not something new we are working with.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Have you tried a laser? Laser trumps all in my house. Even Cheese which mel loves. What sucks is you my boy can't use the laser ALL the time because then he gets a bit anxious and will start begging and whining at me to get it for him lol

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
For the CGC, you can put him in a down during the shake hands with the person with the other dog portion. Sometimes it helps with dogs who have focus problems to have a command they can focus on. You need to work on a solid Down (equals dog stays until you ask him to move) for this to work.
You mention him not being interested in treats or toys outside. How is he inside, without distractions? If you can get him to work for you inside, but lose him in distraction situations, you just need to work on the foundation and middle step more. You are upping the Distraction too high for him at his present level of training. You need to work him inside until he is PERFECT, then in a LOW distraction environment outside (maybe your porch) lower your criteria and up your reinforcement. I like to use the environment itself as a reward. You want to go out there and pee on stuff? You need to look at me, I will tell you you can. All rewards come through me... food, toys, access to peeing, everything.

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts
Instead of trying to GET his attention while around other dogs.... Reward him for GIVING it to you. For instance, go to a place that has a fenced dog park. Take him as far away from the fenced area as possible, where he doesn't give you a reaction to the dogs. Bring some hot dogs, but don't let him know you have them. No baiting him w/ the hot dogs. Move a bit closer until he begins to become interested in the dogs. Just stand there, and wait for him to become interested in you again. As SOON as he takes his eyes and focus off the dogs, TREAT and PRAISE. Keep doing it at that distance, till he just doesn't care about the dogs anymore. End the session. Go back the next time, and do it all over, but maybe a bit closer. Eventually, you should be able to get his attention around other dogs easily, and at a close proximity. I would also cut out being allowed to approach and sniff other dogs on walks. Let him see them from a distance, but don't let him get a play reward w/ them. That comes later, after you can easily divert his attention and keep moving, and when he can calmly sit when approached by dogs.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice.
So after reading this we decided to do a couple things new. the biggest one being Boomer having to do his firm down while sister Jackie is running around like a goof. Normally we have them both work on their downs. Yep, definitely a challange :) but we are making progress!
We also are trying something a little different. Boomer always has to let neighborhood dogs walking with thier people past our house that "this is his house", so to use this as an opportunity, we started opening and leaving the front door open (metal screen door closed) while the random people and dogs walk past. right now all Boom has to do is remove focus from the other dog and he is rewarded, plan is to add to this him sitting with focus and then a down with focus. total work in progress but that is what we are used to :)

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
I would also suggest if he's not interested in hot dogs, jerky or chicken.. try some beef, calf or chicken liver. The stinkier the better. While it's thawed, cut it into small pieces, then portion it up into baggies for treats, then freeze. About 30 minutes prior to working with him, take them out of the freezer so they're just beginning to thaw out a bit so he can really smell the stench of them. I agree completely with the above posts on moving him far away from distractions and getting a solid down/stay out of him first.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
I believe it was mentioned.
But keep in mind threshold, if a dog is over threshold they likely will not take treats.

Signs of going over threshold:

Being sharky (biting when feeding instead of gently taking the treat)
Not responding to name call
Not taking food
Whining(this can vary dog-dog, some won't whine, some will, some just are natural whiners)
Ignoring commands

Simply increase distance if the dog is going over threshold. If you cannot get the dog under threshold at all and they are too focused on the dog, LAT method would be a good idea.

:)

Good posts guys, I'd give you rep but I can't. :p

There's also BAT, but that's more of a last resort method.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts