Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as some of you may already know, I have an 8 week old pitbull puppy. He is wearing a regular small nylon collar right now and he's pretty well used to it. But, the main problem lies with leash training :(

When I put the leash on him he will freeze and when I start putting a tiny bit of pressure on the collar to move forward he still just stands still and then he will freak out and start crying and jumping back against the leash pressure. What are some tips that you guys would give in order to get him accustomed to the leash and the pressure that it will put on his neck? Or, should I start out with a harness to get him used to the leash and walking on it and then switch to using a collar?

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
You could totally try the harness, I had my boy on one since I was scared he would slip off his collar when he was little and moved to a collar around 6 months or so. Have you left the leash attached to him in the house at all? Let him drag it around after him for a while until he realizes its not gonna hurt him and he ignores it. or does it make him freeze and stop moving? You could also try lots of praise and I would get high reward treats (cheese, hot dog, something that smells and is yummy) and basically call him next to you and take a step to walk and when he follows reward him, or try to get him to just smell and follow your hand as you walk and he should get it. Still kinda young for a leash though, they cant really walk that far as a pup so just practice in the yard and house with rewarding him and see how that goes?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I've kinda been a tad paranoid about him pulling back so hard on the leash that he would injure his neck or something, so I think that I'll get a harness and try the treat thing. I know that he's still a little young for walking right now, but I just want to get him accustomed to the leash and such while he's still young, but I want him to have positive experiences and I haven't worked with him since the first time when he freaked out so bad as I don't want to scar him so to speak, with bad experiences and until I can get him a harness. At first he tried to chew on his collar and shook his head like normal but now he's pretty much accepted that it's there. I guess it's harness shopping time! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts