Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I am new to this site, and looking for a little guidance on managing my naughty pit bull. I am a 25 yrs old experienced dog owner ( but not an experienced pit owner) I am a ER Nurse, I have a dog rescue organization and also own a doggy daycare in NY. I own a 2 year old yorkie mix, a 1 yr old shepherd/border collie/greyhound mix, a 9 yr old lab/beagle and my newest addition is a little pit/pit mix? His name is Miles

He was originally a foster dog, who I ended up keeping because I fell for him!!he was rescued from a junkyard in Kentucky, he was extremely emaciated and sick. I have had him since he was about 8-12 weeks old? We think hes about 7 months now. Hes around 45lbs and is pretty solid, he was neutered around 4 months, has been socialized in doggy daycare and dog parks since he arrived here. I thought I was doing everything right and being a responsible owner but I am continuing to have problems with him. He is exercised regularly, he likes to swim, does well with basic obedience and off leash walking he also attends daycare 3 times a week and plays (roughly) with all different size dogs.

Problem #1

hes becoming very protective of me. Recently I was walking him separately from the rest of our pack, when a man approached us, well my little guy flipped out. He was growling and barking and would not let the guy move any further. I corrected his behavior and put him into a sit until he calmed himself, i DID NOT allow the person to pet him or touch him but asked that he simply ignore his behavior, which worked..I was so taken back by his behavior and embarrassed. He has done this several times since then, he has been in my truck and growled and barked at people passing. There doesnt seem to be a pattern of why or who he barks at. The only common denominator is ME!!

Problem #2

We also cannot walk him with our pack on leash or he becomes "dog aggressive" he will not attack our other dogs but looks like he wants to eat approaching dogs, he lunges, growls and barks...Off Leash or Alone he greets them stiffly/cautiously with his tail erect and ears forward, but usually relaxes after a few sniffs.

Problem # 3

I cannot seem to get him to STOP jumping. Its ridiculous. I can Pin him (recommended by a trainer) but for whatever reason he thinks im playing and starts mouthing me.... I put my knee in his chest and he just jumps right back at me. He is so excited when he jumps that he actually nips at my arms and hands. I turn my back to him to ignore the behavior which only makes him do it more....I'm at a loss...

I'm concerned because he is only 7 months old and already displaying a nasty temperament.

HELP!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to add...he also is a little bully to my Yorkie mix, who I am holding in the picture. Those two butt heads all the time and I'm afraid hes going to hurt her!

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
Well, ashley welcome to the wonderful breed called the American Pit Bull Terrier. Your dogs history comes from a looooong history (over a hundred years) of being selectively bred for dog aggression. There is a trainer on her called Performance and she will be able to help you work with your dogs DA, but you need to be aware that this is a very large part of the breed.

The way i personally work with a jumper is that I walk straight into them like they aren't even there... let them fall on their butts and not you! I don't even look or talk to your dog. After a couple of days it won't be fun anymore for your pup.

As far as being protective... since he's still young I would desensitize him... If you're not comfortable with working on this by yourself that's fine. I have my dogs always sit when they meet new people like you did. while they are sitting I have my conversation with the new/other person, you and the person don't look or talk to your dog. Once the dog is acting correctly have the new person slowly introduce his hand to sniff his hand. ect and procede from there.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
It is really hard to say how much it is going to take for you to curb the dog's dog agression, specially since he was a rescue you have no idea where he came from and what the parents were like. I think along with the protectiveness trait of guarding you and showing human agression it is really starting to fall into a bad pattern. My dog had to be put down because it got very dangerous and I felt that a stranger whether it was a human or a dog would be in danger if he slipped out of the leash or our house.

Problem #2

We also cannot walk him with our pack on leash or he becomes "dog aggressive" he will not attack our other dogs but looks like he wants to eat approaching dogs, he lunges, growls and barks...Off Leash or Alone he greets them stiffly/cautiously with his tail erect and ears forward, but usually relaxes after a few sniffs.

This behavior could be happening because he is a extremely dominant dog and is trying to take the alpha role of the pack. Usually the Alpha dogs handle the immediate threat to the pack and are usually the ones to resolve situations before the rest, almost as taking charge. Other dogs approaching your pack is a threat to you and your dogs and he is stepping up to defend you. The bad thing about this behavior is that you as a leader are no longer in control and this can be dangerous if he is to take charge and access the situation.

I think the jumping up is the least of your worries at this moment, I would probably contact performance on this board and see if she can help you find a reputable trainer that can help you. The sooner the better, you do not want a mature 50 pound terrier pulling you to get to another dog in the street. =( good luck and I hope everything works out for you. I hope I did not come out really negative but everything you are saying sounds very similar to what I had to deal with my rescue that I had to put down last week.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate your honesty! What do you mean by "contact performance"? is that another forum?message board? or is that a person?

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
performance kennels is her username... lisa is her real name. She trains and works dogs, and is a perfect example of someone who could give you great advice when it comes to working on certain issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you. I will try to walk straight into him and see what he does, he is very strong so I'm not sure I could even knock him over!

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
yeah she's lurking around the forums right now... She's got one of them skinny blue dogs in her avatar :rofl::rofl: just teasing lisa!

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
oh one of those rare blue chihuahua's eh? they sure can pull a lot! lol

·
Registered
910 Posts
Your pup is way too small to tell if it is mixed. Plus your can never be 100 percent sure unless you have papers. Looks like a little skinny pit to me, but as I said, way too young/small to make even an educated guess. Sure is a cutie pie though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts