Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There.

This is Nico.
I found him at the local shelter. the staff said that "someone found him on the street and brought him to the shelter" but when i found him he was lying on a bare cage without any blankets or rags or newspaper to keep him warm and the cage itself was dirty.

So I took him home. He still had a piece of the umbilical cord attached to him (which he lost in my bed about 3-4 days after his arrival) ; the staff sold me powdered replacement milk which I started giving him; yet, in the beginning it seemed that it was too heavy for him and so I diluted it --too much apparently.

Within 7 days he started shedding whatever fuzzy fur he had on him now he looks like the picture. I just started him on the full concentration formula again as it is my hope that his little stomach is ready for it.

Does anyone know if it is correct (and normal) that he had shed the fussy fuss he was born in? I am not even sure he's a pit or a pit mix...

· Kelevra
1,733 Posts
at this point the breed is not important.
Its a dog. The nutrients are more important than the "thickness",

IMHO, go get you some raw goats milk from a farmer or co-op, use it as well as the milk substitute. keep the pup full and as active as possible, take the pup to a VET!! and pray.. good luck!! and thank you for trying to save him!!

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh Goat's Milk... I did try to get it... Being honest, I am scared about the health department, you see, I live in Mexico and I have already been sick with TB from drinking raw milk... it's scary! I did not even knew you could get sick from that.

Yes, I plan to, of course. At this point I am worried of exposing him to all the dog diseases that roam around in a vet's office. Even those that are careful. the vet I usually go to (who even got his degree magna cum laude) is currently renovating so it is quite drafty there.

Therefore, at this time I am speaking to a vet on the phone and reporting the way he goes, but when I asked him about the fur he said "it's ok" and such answers never please me. "it's ok"... sure! i mean the kid is still alive, right? But it is NOT OK because I do not know if that is normal or not! sprry for the ranting.

Vets and I havent had the best relationship

· Premium Member
11,110 Posts
Well could be a fungus or something but a vet would need to see and scrape the skin. Not something you can diagnose in pictures or on the phone. Good for you for trying to help this pup.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:woof:Hi Guys! Let me report to you the baby boy... He's doing GREAT! Since my last type and today I talked to the Vet who is helping me out with the kid; he's not in town so he hasn't been able to actually see him... But, he's been helpful.

I managed to gather up some dough and buy him the Royal Canin replacement puppy dog formula and he's started to improve. However, the normal concentration of the formula seems too much for this baby and I have had to make it less concentrated... Furthermore, he does DO the "yuck!" face when I feed him It is so cute! Have any of you guys had had any experience with this milk?

Have you ever had to "change" the taste of it?

· Premium Member
2,462 Posts
I have always used the esbilac brand of puppy replacement and also used store bought goats milk as goats milk has more of the properties you are looking for, for an all around great milk replacer. You can also buy powder form goats milk and goats milk replcer for much cheaper then the royal canin brand.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Meyenberg-Goat-Milk-1-Qt/10818414#Ingredients

or

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pet-Ag-Go...1377M141020154930IXL&affillinktype=15&veh=aff

Good info here

http://leerburg.com/bottlefeeding.htm

· Premium Member
1,612 Posts
I unfortunately do not have experience with the Royal Canin pup milk, but I nursed a kitten on the cat one, and never had a problem with the concentration or the taste.

The vet I took him too also recommended goats milk to help boost his strength.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.