Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'll start with some background info first. I got my dog from a breeder who had to downsize do to moving. She lived with 11 other pitbulls. She didn't listen at all when I got her but after some training she is well behaved now. Just the basics really sit - lay down - roll over - no I've had her for a year or so now and she is the only dog in the house. Best dog ever towards people. Accepting to any stranger or visitor. I walk her everyday 2x for about 20 minutes each time and I have a lead the covers the whole yard and she gets to run around on that. Plus play time in the house. My problem is that when I take her around other dogs she just doesn't play well. I'm pretty sure it's dominance. She will raise her hair up,tail goes up and curls over,tries to put her head over the other dogs. I keep her on the leash of course but after a few seconds of this and some sniffing from the other dog it always turns into a fight. Nothing ever happens cause it's stopped but I want/need to fix this. I have a friend with a neutered male "remo" who is extremely well trained and also 2 small male dogs. Plus his wifes brother has to dogs which are male. We always try and take them to the dog park together in the spring and summer. We go into or own area with no other dogs around. All the other dogs get along great and I'm trying to have her be apart of this. I just want her to be able to run around and have a good time without worrying about trouble. I mean I know pitbulls play rough most of the time which is expected but I'm talking about the fighting. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks,Adam

·
Banned
1,616 Posts
You may never fix it nort should you try, she is a pit bull bred to fight, she will enjoy fighting. Pit bulls dont need friends of the furry kind.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Two rules of thumb owning this breed. STAY FAR FAR AWAY FROM DOG PARKS and a pit bull does not need doggy friends. They may not start a fight but they will finish it! This breed is naturally dog aggressive as they were bred to fight and enjoy fighting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Two rules of thumb owning this breed. STAY FAR FAR AWAY FROM DOG PARKS and a pit bull does not need doggy friends. They may not start a fight but they will finish it! This breed is naturally dog aggressive as they were bred to fight and enjoy fighting.
I understand the dog park part if I were taking her to play with random dogs. We use our own area. You both have said about not needing friends but I just find that strange. When I first got her I had another dog in the house and they were fine. She was living in a house with 11 other dogs.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
I understand the dog park part if I were taking her to play with random dogs. We use our own area. You both have said about not needing friends but I just find that strange. When I first got her I had another dog in the house and they were fine. She was living in a house with 11 other dogs.
Alot of new people that come here seem to think that its strange when people on this board stress that a pit bull does not need friends. But alot of owners tend to not realize what they are getting into owning this breed. You have to respect the breed for what it is....a "fighter" and a natural one. They have been bred for years to fight so alls it takes is that one look, snarl, etc and just like that a pit can snap! Do you know how to break up a dog fight? There are alot of long time owners on here who's dogs have shown no DA for years until that one time. Some of them also had a multiple dog home and have come home to dead dogs in the house because they treated there pit bull no different than there poodle. Big mistake! Just stick around and keep an open mind to learning about our beloved breed :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Pit don't need doggy friends. They need people.

but if you want to try here are a few tips: it may or may not work and the only way this will work is if you actually put in the time and i mean TIME.

A pit is a driven dog more driven than other dogs....so you must take that inner drive and make them focus on you and you alone, a pit that is focused on it's handler will not think of the world outside it's handler. you must start focus training, this is not easy if your pit is stubborn and may take some time to break but the best thing abut this is your dog always looks up to you literally.

other dogs smell...pits mount so you have to teach your dog that mounting isn't an accepted way to make friends. unless you have gained control of your dog during walks the 2nd step shouldn't even be tried unless you are either with a trainer or someone with experience with breaking up a fight...(just in case) dogs sniff each other out,this is a strange world for a dog that was never socialized. when Santino began this training he literally dragged his butt on the ground so the other dogs couldn't sniff his butt. but that changed through time and eventually he would get 2-5 mins of play/chill time. if you have never seen a pit w/ a broken will it's pretty funny cause they're basically putty in your hands.

There are 2 ways to approach doggy interaction :

1. Fast way corrective tools prong collar or e collar, There are camps against using such devices so it's up to you as the owner to decide. i've tried them all on me :hammer: no really i want to know the feeling of it before my dog does. with these tools an instant response is given by the dog ,i'm NOT making this a debate of good or bad. example walking the dog w/ prong collar dog sees something that peaks interest dog pulls towards object heck tries to lunge a quick pull and a response is met too much pulling will give a "mom" grasping the neck sensation. a quick tug and the dog will understand but you must make the correction because you cannot reply on tools, tools are there to guide you,they can't take your place <<<<remember this please.

2.SLOW way and i mean molasses : Treats: WOOT!!!!:woof: ok w/ treats you can't just walk past another dog and start handing out treats like it was Christmas. you have to start at the end of your block just to approach the other dog in the middle of the street. sounds simple??? if your dog even looks at the other dog one time and reacts.....go back to the end of the street and start again...do this until you dog ignores the other dog the treats are used as distraction as well as rewards so bring lots of treats. This method works and is preferred 10-1 over the fast method. i do both methods but as of late, i do the fast way since i can react before the dog now this too will come with time. then you can impress your friends when there un-trained dog does something they are unaware of but you catch on to it and correct the dog.

the 1st month of training will be difficult and i mean HARD. i'm not gonna lie to you cause i've walked this road and i still do, DA is inherent just the fact of life we deal with. The preventative measures that caring pitbull owners do is almost as technical as a prepared SWAT team.

Good Luck.

Reactions: MY MIKADO

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
APBT are dog agressive plain and simple. they do not need nor do they want to play with other dogs. They need their humans to engage in training with them. I highly doubt that this person had 11 APBT running around together I bet they were on a crate and rotate schedule. Some APBT do fine with another dog or two but mostly they like to fight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alot of new people that come here seem to think that its strange when people on this board stress that a pit bull does not need friends. But alot of owners tend to not realize what they are getting into owning this breed. You have to respect the breed for what it is....a "fighter" and a natural one. They have been bred for years to fight so alls it takes is that one look, snarl, etc and just like that a pit can snap! Do you know how to break up a dog fight? There are alot of long time owners on here who's dogs have shown no DA for years until that one time. Some of them also had a multiple dog home and have come home to dead dogs in the house because they treated there pit bull no different than there poodle. Big mistake! Just stick around and keep an open mind to learning about our beloved breed :)
Yeah that's why I'm here is to gain input from others. I'm pretty aware of the breed and what they were for. I did a lot of research before getting one as a pet. I had a boxer/pit mix before Abby and he was a great dog and after he passed away I wanted another dog. My friend Jordan's dog remo is what made me consider a pitbull plus my previous dog was a mix and he was great. Coolest dog ever.

Pit don't need doggy friends. They need people.

but if you want to try here are a few tips: it may or may not work and the only way this will work is if you actually put in the time and i mean TIME.

A pit is a driven dog more driven than other dogs....so you must take that inner drive and make them focus on you and you alone, a pit that is focused on it's handler will not think of the world outside it's handler. you must start focus training, this is not easy if your pit is stubborn and may take some time to break but the best thing abut this is your dog always looks up to you literally.

other dogs smell...pits mount so you have to teach your dog that mounting isn't an accepted way to make friends. unless you have gained control of your dog during walks the 2nd step shouldn't even be tried unless you are either with a trainer or someone with experience with breaking up a fight...(just in case) dogs sniff each other out,this is a strange world for a dog that was never socialized. when Santino began this training he literally dragged his butt on the ground so the other dogs couldn't sniff his butt. but that changed through time and eventually he would get 2-5 mins of play/chill time. if you have never seen a pit w/ a broken will it's pretty funny cause they're basically putty in your hands.

There are 2 ways to approach doggy interaction :

1. Fast way corrective tools prong collar or e collar, There are camps against using such devices so it's up to you as the owner to decide. i've tried them all on me :hammer: no really i want to know the feeling of it before my dog does. with these tools an instant response is given by the dog ,i'm NOT making this a debate of good or bad. example walking the dog w/ prong collar dog sees something that peaks interest dog pulls towards object heck tries to lunge a quick pull and a response is met too much pulling will give a "mom" grasping the neck sensation. a quick tug and the dog will understand but you must make the correction because you cannot reply on tools, tools are there to guide you,they can't take your place <<<<remember this please.

2.SLOW way and i mean molasses : Treats: WOOT!!!!:woof: ok w/ treats you can't just walk past another dog and start handing out treats like it was Christmas. you have to start at the end of your block just to approach the other dog in the middle of the street. sounds simple??? if your dog even looks at the other dog one time and reacts.....go back to the end of the street and start again...do this until you dog ignores the other dog the treats are used as distraction as well as rewards so bring lots of treats. This method works and is preferred 10-1 over the fast method. i do both methods but as of late, i do the fast way since i can react before the dog now this too will come with time. then you can impress your friends when there un-trained dog does something they are unaware of but you catch on to it and correct the dog.

the 1st month of training will be difficult and i mean HARD. i'm not gonna lie to you cause i've walked this road and i still do, DA is inherent just the fact of life we deal with. The preventative measures that caring pitbull owners do is almost as technical as a prepared SWAT team.

Good Luck.
Thanks for the tips. I have already been working with my dog since day one so I realize how hard it can be to train them. She listens to me pretty well right now. I still work with her everyday with commands and such.

APBT are dog agressive plain and simple. they do not need nor do they want to play with other dogs. They need their humans to engage in training with them. I highly doubt that this person had 11 APBT running around together I bet they were on a crate and rotate schedule. Some APBT do fine with another dog or two but mostly they like to fight.
I'm not sure about the crate part. I know there was one in a crate when I went to look at her but she was in heat and I'm sure it was just to keep him away. They were all running around in the back yard when I got there. Either way I appreciate all of your feedback everyone.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Your welcome :) try not to take anything said personal. We all just love this breed and want people to be responsible owners. Hope you stay around :roll:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your welcome :) try not to take anything said personal. We all just love this breed and want people to be responsible owners. Hope you stay around :roll:
Yeah I never do. I realize people are here to help. Trust me I'm trying to help people understand myself. I have people without dogs move to the other side of the street when I'm walking Abby. I'm just thinking if you only knew. My dog is just a big lap dog full of love. She follows me everywhere. When I get a shower she lays outside the door. It's ridiculous sometimes

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Thats the pit bull for you. Where ever you are they are. Sometimes I think if Vendetta could figure how to crawl inside my body she would lol.

·
Registered
151 Posts
sounds like you only socialize your dog with males. my female only gets along with males and my male gets along with everyone. I must say, when you bring your dog around another dog im sure you get scared maybe hold the leash a little tight and less slack then normal. You see that hair and you get scared cause you dont want your dog hurting the other. Same with me at first. I have found way better results have a F*** it attitude and when i let my dog meet another i just relax there hair might stand up but then i might go down. Just becareful. good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts