Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had an accident today my youngest son was comming out of the garage and its one of those heavy metal industrial doors that closes behind you automatically { we are removing that mechanism so it will be only a push or pull door} but I guess when he came out cali was with him as she always is and her tail got caught in the door and cut about an inch off clean. We called the vet but he said there isnt much to do just keep it really clean and get her on antibiotics { which we have } , we have wrapped it tightly with gauze after cleaning with iodine my question is there anything else we should do to help this heal? hoping one of you vet techs can chime in with any advice. It has soaked a bandage after it was on a few hours { i dont think we had it wrapped tight enough } it isnt bleeding badly but of course a lil blood looks like alot more then it is and Im kinda wondering if I should get it stitched but not really sure if there is anything to stitch. What do you think? the vet said if its bleeding profusely to bring her in I dont think its that bad, but always second guessing what I think .

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
You can try Styptic powder. It should help but it may sting like hell. I personally would use a liquid bandage but that's just me. I'm sure there are some veterinary help here.

Reactions: angelbaby

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
OH NOOOO poor Cali!! I am so sorry, and your son must feel so horrible I hope he is OK! I am sure Cali will be good. Sorry I don't have any advice, just good thoughts for you all

Reactions: angelbaby

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can try Styptic powder. It should help but it may sting like hell. I personally would use a liquid bandage but that's just me. I'm sure there are some veterinary help here.
if it doesnt stop bleeding I may try the styptic powder I dont like the idea of putting anything that would sting on it I already feel horrible for her she was obviously pretty stressed. The liquid bandaid I havent found works that great I dont know maybe its just the one I tried { we get all our medical supplies from the hospital lol ,alot of nurses in the family } But the one they use I didnt think did much of anything.

OH NOOOO poor Cali!! I am so sorry, and your son must feel so horrible I hope he is OK! I am sure Cali will be good. Sorry I don't have any advice, just good thoughts for you all
Ya well dad yelled { not at him} and he took it pretty personal poor boy turned 3 today and is very sensitive, he didnt mean to and really didnt know what to do when cali started to scream I was only about 20 feet away but by the time I got to her it was gone :( . Cali is doing ok I always worry with animals about shock and stuff but she has been a trooper kinda timid right now but thats to be expected but when I call her she is still wagging her tail at me and sucking up the love. She is being good about the bandage and hasnt tried to rip it off or anything and im sure it hurts but she has been the best patient ever, this breed is sure tough.
thanks for the thoughts.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you , I will try it in a bit if it hasnt stopped , she has had this bandage on for the last few hours and i dont see red { gauze and medical tape} if it stops I was looking at this thing online where it shows to wrap a pipe insulation { the foam tubes that are hollow} to cut a slit in one side and to put that on the end of the tail and tape it in place , says the air will help it heal faster but the foam allows it to not get wacked back open . hopefully that will work.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
OUCH! Rage got her tail bit off in a fight and they did stitch it up and make sure the bone was straight off. There is not a whole lot you can do but keep it clean! My only worry is the bone is exposed and the risk of infection is really high. Make sure to keep it clean and wrapped. Keep her on the antibiotics for at least 10 days. What kind of antibiotics do you have? I would not use something like Cephalexin you need something stronger like Clavamox. Good luck poor girl!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im pretty sure its cephelexin , Ill check when I get up again { been going all day } I can call the vet tomorrow and get something stronger , might as well bring her with me tomorrow and get him to look at it while im there. She doesnt really seem to be phased at all like she doesnt even know its gone. Its wrapped right now , would you put any antibiotic cream on it? I was worried if it clotted over and stuck to the gauze but didnt really want to put the poly right on that wound I dunno Im always worried about hurting them more and im such a baby about cleaning my wounds if it stings I wont use it lol, Im sure she is tougher then me.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok checked its novalexin , should I go with the stronger stuff still?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts