Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we have our first pit bull, Lexi. She is an amazing dog and we are in love with the breed. A close friend of ours adopted her brother, Cain. They have been around each other for, well, forever basically. When Cain's owner works (24 hour shifts as a fireman...) we have Cain over to watch him. However, the problem is that they are far too rough with each other. It is all play and they are having fun, but it is rough and too much to handle. What can we do to allow them to see each other, and be around each other, but not beat each other up!!

Thank you so much for any advice...

~ Kate

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Sounds like they love rough housing but it's to much for you not them?? Am I right? :roll: I would take them out for some good walks to tire them out a bit so that they are not so wild in the house. Also, do you crate them at all? I know you take care of Cain for the owner when he works long hours but does your dog and Cain have there own crates? I would separate them when they get to crazy with eachother.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Separate them when it gets too rough for you?

Pit bulls play rougher with each other than other breeds -- and you've got littermates on top of that, which means they play even rougher. My two sounded like they were KILLING each other, body slamming each other into the ground, growling, etc, but that was how they played.

I could tell when things were getting rough because their body language changed and it got even rougher sounding.

At that point, I clapped my hands once and gave a sharp HEY, which distracted them and broke them off and then I would tell them both to lay down. If your two don't know lay down yet (or aren't good about keeping it), then give them both a kong or something and put one in a crate while they go to town on it.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Also, because they are littermates, this is how they're probably always going to play together (unless one develops DA to the other which can happen).

Kane and Roxie (my two) were like yours, together from day one, until my ex moved out. They didn't see each other for ~2 months, but when they met up again it was just like they'd never been apart. They played and interacted exactly the same way they always had.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that you're going to have to get used to breaking them up a lot when they get too rough for you. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would let them play hard, except they end up with welts and scratches : / soooo... We don't have Cain's crate here, but I suppose we could find one. Would probably help a lot. Should they be separate walks? I will have another family member take one and I will take the other.

And we will continue working on commands... I have been trying to read on best way of reinforcement... treats or no? I just don't want to mess up with them :) Tryin' to be a good momma haha ;)

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the welts and scratches unless they bleed. This breed has a high pain tolerance and a scratch isn't going to mean anything to them while they're playing. That's why you have to keep a close eye on them while they play. That isn't to say you should let them scratch each other the heck up, but one or two scratches isn't something I would get concerned about.

For the walks, it depends on whether they walk well on the leash and you think you could reasonably control them should something happen unexpectedly (like a squirrel running across the sidewalk, a loose dog running up to them).

6 months was about the age I started walking my two separately, but I'm 100lbs soaking wet, so your mileage may vary. ;)

Treats are very good and, imo, necessary. You don't work for free, so why should your pups? :) In the beginning, when they're just getting the hang of the command, give them a treat every time they do it right. Then, as they get better at the command, start to drop the treats off so they don't get dependent on SEEING a treat before listening to you. So ... they do a sit correctly 10 times in a row, a treat every time. Then you start only giving them a treat when they do a really fast sit. Or give them a treat every other time, then every other two times, then every other three times, etc.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Make sure when they do the command correctly but don't get a treat that you REALLY up the praise and love you give them. I'm talking a puppy party of high-pitched praise and coos.

·
LOLZ
1,086 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about them playing rough. They're pits, they play rough. I would however be prepared with a breakstick on hand, if the play ever turns into a fight. And the first time it turns into a fight, then they can't be friends anymore. And I would walk them separately.

·
Registered
123 Posts
So, we have our first pit bull, Lexi. She is an amazing dog and we are in love with the breed. A close friend of ours adopted her brother, Cain. They have been around each other for, well, forever basically. When Cain's owner works (24 hour shifts as a fireman...) we have Cain over to watch him. However, the problem is that they are far too rough with each other. It is all play and they are having fun, but it is rough and too much to handle. What can we do to allow them to see each other, and be around each other, but not beat each other up!!

Thank you so much for any advice...

~ Kate
Something you didn't mention, but I would like to point out is make sure you aren't having high "reward" items like toys out for them to play with together. Even at a young age toys, treats, and food can lead to a quarrel and between two dogs of this breed its something you seriously want to avoid. I'm not implying you are keeping these things out with the two, but I just thought it would be a good little reminder or tip for you. Most fights among any breed are normally started over some "high reward" item like a toy or food so keep that in mind. Like others have said a nice walk, or fetch session before allowing them to play together might help tone things down a little since they will be pre-warn out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts