Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been dragging the sled with Barca and he is doing good but I am trying to wrap my head around getting them to pull with drive. If all he does is drag weight without any reward other than praise What is in it for him? All my training is based out of rewards for the dogs. Obed, Sch, Agility, and anything else I use food or toys as the reward. So would I do the same with Barca? Do I let him know if he does what I want there is something in it for him? I know about not baiting the dog to pull but what about after his pull he goes to the truck or what ever and gets his toy. It just seems like he is pulling but without real drive behind it. I guess I am just confused on why he would try do hard if there was nothing in it other than praise. Or maybe he would pull harder if he knew there was a reward. :confused: Any thoughts?

· Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
I like to throw in treat rewards during pulls, sometimes I'll throw in my marker while he's pulling and he'll stop and take the treat and want to go more. You could use a toy, just keep it out of view while he's pulling, you don't want them to be pulling for the toy or for the treat but pulling to get rewarded for it. (If they see the toy and are just pulling to get to it, it's very similar, if not the same as baiting. Just not intentional.)

I hope that helps.

· Pits Are For Chicks
16,347 Posts
I keep the girls tug toy in my back pocket and after they are dragging they break and get some tug time and good work praise. When done with whatever training we are doing they get fed, then onto the next dog.

During the winter they all get fed at the same time so I just use the toy for any training we do when the weather allows.

· Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I keep the girls tug toy in my back pocket and after they are dragging they break and get some tug time and good work praise. When done with whatever training we are doing they get fed, then onto the next dog.

During the winter they all get fed at the same time so I just use the toy for any training we do when the weather allows.
Yeah this is what I was thinking, I just don't like the fact I have had nothing but praise for him. I don't expect to work for free and I feel my dogs do not need to work for free either.

To those that are really competive in WP what do you guys do? (holly not that you are not competive I am looking for ppl like OFK) I would be interested to know what they do to get that drive.

I do not believe in scaring the dog down the track and will not be brutal to be competitive. If I had to do that I do not want to pull.

· Registered
11,488 Posts
Lisa I thought this was a good read. I liked what they said in here about not relying on food. You want the dog to pull because it's desire is to please you and have fun. I think in the beginning stages it's ok but you eventually want to wean them away from the treats during training. And rely more on their natural desire to please you. Worth a read if your interested.

Encyclopedia of the American Pit Bull Terrier : Beginning Weight Pull

· Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now this is where I have a problem with that thinking, I have seen dogs do obedience, agility, or any other sport you can think of and when the owner relies only on praise and the willingness to please, the dogs don't look that great. When you use motivation along with praise you get much better results and I am wondering why this would be different in WP? I have heard and read the dogs do it because they want to please you but again a little motivation goes a long way. I am not talking about using food to get the dog down the track but to let the dog know there is more when you finish than just "good dog". This is where my confusion is.

· Registered
11,488 Posts
Well I know baiting is not allowed on the WP tracks so that is probably why in WP training is a bit different and you don't want them to get used to only pulling for a reward because that won't work on the WP tracks eventually the dog only pull's because it know's there is a reward waiting for them at the end of the track. I think with these dog's they have such a strong inner desire to please their owner's naturally that they will do almost anything for their owner's. In the beginning stages if you must use food but eventually you want to turn away from that once they get comfortable pulling and their desire to please you becomes stronger and they start to enjoy WP sessions more and more as time goes on.

Also after they have a great day training do something fun with them shortly after to reward them for being such a good dog. I think you can really build a dog's confidence and hype them up just by using praise and tone.

This was the little Piece I had pulled out of this article posted.. I am sure Andy will have more to add though.

For you boring non-alpha owners
REWARD WITH FOOD BUT DO NOT BAIT: Although I do not advise it you can use food to reward (only when
the dog does something worth rewarding) when training if the dog really doesnt want to work to please you but will work for food. DO NOT use food to entice the dog forward.
IN other words do not hold the food out in front of the dog and give the command to pull.
Give the command and if the dog responds with the appropriate behavior you pull out a
treat and give it to the dog. If done correctly this is a reward NOT BAIT!!! Eventually after your training is well underway and your dog enjoys pulling you will wean them off of treats as reward
and rely on their desire to please you and their desire to have fun pulling.

· Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am not talking about about baiting there is a HUGE difference between rewarding and luring or baiting. I am not talking about using any type of motivation to pull or get them to pull the weight. I am talking about after the workout going and letting him play with his tug. It is just like after an agility run my dogs know they did well when they earn the right to go play fetch afterwords. It is my way of telling them they did great and I was pleased and there for they get what they want. If they were not a team and did not try or blew me off they get nothing and go straight to a crate. Next time they try much harder to get their reward afterwords.
This is where my thinking is coming from.

· Registered
11,488 Posts
Well yeah I think it's totally ok to reward a dog after a hard day of training with a job well done. It let's them know they did a good job and your proud of them. Nothing wrong with that Lisa. Also Barca is still a young dog I think as time goes on the more and more you keep pulling with him .. His drive and intensity levels will increase as he ages and matures and he get's better and more comfortable with pulling.

· The Yard Of Many Colors
3,422 Posts
we give treats after they pull.. like when we are at a show every pass the dog makes we give them a treat everytime we put them in their crate

· Registered
70 Posts
What she said , the dogs always get a treat when they get back to their crate, all our dogs will get in their crate stick their head out and wait for their treat, as far as training its alright to coax a new dog with a treat just start weining them off of it as they start to progress

· Original Prankster
13,974 Posts
I've been giving Dosia treats as well. We do a lap and then when we get back for water break he gets a treat. When we get back to the house after a good day of dragging and Dosia will get his squish ball, this is his favorite thing in the whole world. I think Barca's gunna do great. Dosia loves it so much now when he sees his WP harness he starts doing the puppy dance around me in circles :)

· Registered
127 Posts
when my dog gets off the track I praise the hell out of him, walking towards his crate and give him a treat.

· Registered
420 Posts
when my dog gets off the track I praise the hell out of him, walking towards his crate and give him a treat.
Exactly what ive done... it works most of the time of course with the praise... but my UKC Ch Ty is a pain in the butt and I had to stop the treats cause at a point when he just doesnt want to do it any more he goes backwards on the track to get back to his crate expecting a treat... so now he only gets praise and the treat is after his last pull...
Just like with everything else each dog is different so find what works best for you both and go with it... you have time as he is still young... Good luck

· Registered
757 Posts
What ive noticed is that every dog is different. Some of our dogs could care less about getting a treat and just are happy knowing that they pleased us while others work just to get that treat. I personally only treat every once in a while when drag weighting so I dont over do it. Ill typically give a treat back at the crate after each pull made on the track or in competition. As far as the drive goes these dogs typically have it or they dont. Its hard to put drive in them but ive seen some dogs mature real late so dont give up to early. Some just take longer to learn what you want out of them than others.

· Registered
4,196 Posts
I've hidden a piece of cowhide in my back pocket, and then when I unhook my dog I will bust it out and let her grip it. (After we've moved away from the cart I mean.) She knows its coming, but she also knows that she can't go all grabby-hands on me while she's on the track.

· Registered
757 Posts
I've hidden a piece of cowhide in my back pocket, and then when I unhook my dog I will bust it out and let her grip it. (After we've moved away from the cart I mean.) She knows its coming, but she also knows that she can't go all grabby-hands on me while she's on the track.
Be careful doing this during competition. Most organizations dont allow any treats or bait on a person while competing and they will disqualify you for the day.

· Registered
4,196 Posts
I don't do it during competition, only during training. But thanks. :) When we're actually at an event, the dogs have to settle mostly for my love and appreciation. LMAO!

· Registered
757 Posts
I don't do it during competition, only during training. But thanks. :) When we're actually at an event, the dogs have to settle mostly for my love and appreciation. LMAO!
I figured you didnt since you have done competitions before. I really mentioned it for anyone that hasnt competed before. Dont want to get any newer pullers confused.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.