Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2 1/2 yr old spayed American Bully/Pitbull.
She’s got out of my fence ( my fault I forgot to shut it)
She went after my neighbor’s son.
He was in his own yard playing basketball. He didn’t make it to his house without getting bit. However my dog actually went back after him two more times. Before I could get the leash on her. His mother was outside with a hockey stick in her garage and my dog was very aggressive towards her too. My fear is is she going to do that if she ever gets out of the fence again?
I live on a corner lot and I see she gets very upset if even children are walking by my fence.
She can be dog aggressive. But I do take her to daycare. Sometimes I get called to come and get her as she gets into it with bigger dogs. She just acts aggressive but she doesn’t attack
I feel that the backyard breeder wasn’t looking to breed a good pet. Just selling to make a dollar.
Now I forced to take a dive into a choice I never thought I would be up against.
Please if you have good advice let me know.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a 2 1/2 yr old spayed American Bully/Pitbull.
She’s got out of my fence ( my fault I forgot to shut it)
She went after my neighbor’s son.
He was in his own yard playing basketball. He didn’t make it to his house without getting bit. However my dog actually went back after him two more times. Before I could get the leash on her. His mother was outside with a hockey stick in her garage and my dog was very aggressive towards her too. My fear is is she going to do that if she ever gets out of the fence again?
I live on a corner lot and I see she gets very upset if even children are walking by my fence.
She can be dog aggressive. But I do take her to daycare. Sometimes I get called to come and get her as she gets into it with bigger dogs. She just acts aggressive but she doesn’t attack
I feel that the backyard breeder wasn’t looking to breed a good pet. Just selling to make a dollar.
Now I forced to take a dive into a choice I never thought I would be up against.
Please if you have good advice let me know.
Nope...keep her...make sure she don't get out and try to socialize her...especially with children...

Sent from my SM-A307FN using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
4,772 Posts
Bull breeds should not be people aggressive AT ALL. If it were me, and I have been there twice, make the the final appointment with the vet. Hit the Wendys, buy the dog a double baconator and a frosty. Then say your goodbyes. It's heartbreaking, but it is the RESPONSABLE thing to do.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
this advice is free of charge.
properly secure your yard and never let the dog outside without supervision.
doggie day care is a recipe for all kinds of disaster.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bull breeds should not be people aggressive AT ALL. If it were me, and I have been there twice, make the the final appointment with the vet. Hit the Wendys, buy the dog a double baconator and a frosty. Then say your goodbyes. It's heartbreaking, but it is the RESPONSABLE thing to do.
Thank you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I know I need to be responsible. I just wish it wouldn’t have that be this way.
It was definitely a shock to see .
I appreciate you advice
Proper fencing or walling...and socialization...dogs need interaction with other dogs and people....if starved of interaction with others it will misbehave...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
this advice is free of charge.
properly secure your yard and never let the dog outside without supervision.
doggie day care is a recipe for all kinds of disaster.
Thank you for the advice.
It’s just me and my dog. That’s the first time she’s gotten out and I was at fault.
But, her reaction towards that poor boy shocked me .
I

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Proper fencing or walling...and socialization...dogs need interaction with other dogs and people....if starved of interaction with others it will misbehave...

Also be sure to not allow anyone to tease the dog from outside ...

I do have a great fence. She does go to daycare 1/2 three times a week.
I don’t leave her unattended even though I have a fenced in backyard. But anytime she sees people walking by or walking dogs she gets all crazy. But now I had noticed that she’s doing it with children who may be ride their bike or parents are walking them in a stroller

·
Administrator
4,772 Posts
johnoosthuizen First and foremost you can't socialize away dog aggression in a bull breed. I'm going to have to ask you stop giving bad advice here.

Leeann your dog attacked a child. Let that sink in for a bit. Not a man, not an adult, it was not protecting you, it was not defense. A child. Then think about your nieces and nephews, your friends kids, your possible future children. Also think about the hospital bills you are now accountable for, the mental anguish of the child your dog bit, his future fears from the trauma.
Now make the best decision for you. It is your decision to make. My heart breaks for you. We are here for you if you need us. When you are ready for another dog. Please reach out. We can probably help you find an appropriate and responsible breeder for you in your area so that you are never saddled with this decision again.

Reactions: JoKealoha

·
Registered
49 Posts
johnoosthuizen First and foremost you can't socialize away dog aggression in a bull breed. I'm going to have to ask you stop giving bad advice here.

Leeann your dog attacked a child. Let that sink in for a bit. Not a man, not an adult, it was not protecting you, it was not defense. A child. Then think about your nieces and nephews, your friends kids, your possible future children. Also think about the hospital bills you are now accountable for, the mental anguish of the child your dog bit, his future fears from the trauma.
Now make the best decision for you. It is your decision to make. My heart breaks for you. We are here for you if you need us. When you are ready for another dog. Please reach out. We can probably help you find an appropriate and responsible breeder for you in your area so that you are never saddled with this decision again.
Ya...i forgot to mention discipline...i have 6 dogs...one Lab and Pit mix...one Ambt...one brindle pit...one very large anatolian ridgeback mix breed and 2 smaller dogs...they have been disciplined and socialized with family and neighbours and are kept in the yard as not to cause trouble outside...they also need a good routine...they've never bitten anyone else even if they do get out...and i have enough dogs thank-you...don't need more...and yes...my dogs are very protective but not aggressive to neighours they've been socilized with...

·
Administrator
4,772 Posts
Ya...i forgot to mention discipline...i have 6 dogs...one Lab and Pit mix...one Ambt...one brindle pit...one very large anatolian ridgeback mix breed and 2 smaller dogs...they have been disciplined and socialized with family and neighbours and are kept in the yard as not to cause trouble outside...they also need a good routine...they've never bitten anyone else even if they do get out...and i have enough dogs thank-you...don't need more...and yes...my dogs are very protective but not aggressive to neighours they've been socilized with...

Only this applied to you. "johnoosthuizen First and foremost you can't socialize away dog aggression in a bull breed. I'm going to have to ask you stop giving bad advice here."
Now shut it down please. Or I will. You are giving bad advice. IDC if you have 65 Boerbels and leave them to babysit your kid. She is a pet owner not a dog person. Bull breeds should not bite children. EVER. There is something wrong with the dog.

Reactions: JoKealoha

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I agree. I didn’t sleep well as I know what I need to do. It’s very hard.
I had a wonderful pitbull before her who was absolutely amazing. So to have one that is showing this kind of aggression is plain and simple completely shocking to me

·
Registered
117 Posts
So sorry you are facing this. Yes, back yard breeders are only looking for cash. They don't care about dogs at all.
I faced a similar situation years ago. We rescued a shepherd mix that had been abused by men and teens. She was great with me and hubby...and even stepdad, but no other men and teens just sent her shaking. We had her five years and in that time, we saw her mind just go down hill. Was getting very annoyed with the little dogs and just stressed over little things. Then one day she charged a neighbor kid (whole neighborhood was "fenceless", which wasn't a problem... until it was) and stopped just inches from her. I was running and calling, she wasn't listening. So glad the kid (teen) didn't run.
I had to face the fact that every day life was miserable for her and we made that final visit. Hardest thing I've ever done. A perfectly healthy, beautiful dog, but I knew it an attack was coming. Miss you Abby, I hope you have forgiven me.
Hugs to you in this tough time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ok thank you. I unfortunately agree.
Sorry you're in the position to make that choice, Leeann. I have been there and it is brutal, but I agree with so many others here: necessary. In my household we have a saying, "management eventually fails" and then the question is what happens when it fails. In the case of a dog who might seriously hurt someone, the risk is just not worth it. I know you have already kind of come to a conclusion, but I just wanted to know that there is one more person who has your back on this and can also commiserate. 🧡

1 - 19 of 19 Posts