Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I need some serious help. My dog Mack is now two years old and I've never had any health issues until now. He has been getting rashes all over his rear, genitals, stomach, armpits and red paws to top it off he has lost a lot of hair on his back. Ive taken him to 4 vets already and the problem has not been solved its not mange, he's been put on anti-biotics, creams, benadryll u name it. I changed his food thinking it was a food allergy nope wasnt it, i even have him on showstopper. Any suggestions thanks!

Attachments

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
It still could be a food allergy. Kangol had the same issues and I switched to RAW. No problems since then. Benadryl will help relieve the itching, but not necessarily solve the problem. I suggest you check out our RAW section and look into it. Is that black the rash or are those pigmentation spots? Your boy is SUPER HANDSOME btw. I love hims!

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Has the vet done any tests for allergies? I had a dog who had a sensitive stomach along with allergies to certain ingredients in food. I tried many foods and finally put him on the Wellness simple solutions and it was like a miracle food for him. It is only one protein source and one carbohydrate source with no dairy, eggs, soy, wheat, or eggs which are alot of things dogs can have allergies to. It's trial and error with the foods to see which will help him best. I would even try raw as Lauren suggested but if you can't afford the raw or don't have time to prepare it then I recommend the Wellness :) Good luck and keep us updated! He is a handsome boy......I feel bad for his coat/skin issue though :( poor guy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks lauren and bella he's a good looking kid i'll post more pics. those are pigment spots the rashes are red. well i had him on the same food for about a year and half so i dont think it the food. i changed it anyway as far as the raw food diet i have tried it and he just doesnt eat it so i stopped bothering with it. i was going to do the allergy test but its really not in my near budget its just too expensive and the doctor said it wasnt necessary. I hope i can get his coat looking like before i just feel bad for him cause he really looks like it bothers him.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Thanks lauren and bella he's a good looking kid i'll post more pics. those are pigment spots the rashes are red. well i had him on the same food for about a year and half so i dont think it the food. i changed it anyway as far as the raw food diet i have tried it and he just doesnt eat it so i stopped bothering with it. i was going to do the allergy test but its really not in my near budget its just too expensive and the doctor said it wasnt necessary. I hope i can get his coat looking like before i just feel bad for him cause he really looks like it bothers him.
Your welcome :) What are you feeding him?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im feeding him purina lamb and rice mix. i know i can probably buy better, i looked up the product u posted and it most likely is better. i'm going to try one more vet and see what they say i'll keep u guys posted.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Purina Pro Plan: 2 out of 5 Stars

** out of *****
Purina Pro Plan Dry Dog Food
The Bottom Line​

Judging by its ingredients alone, Purina Pro Plan appears to be a below-average kibble.
But ingredient quality by itself cannot tell the whole story. We still need to estimate the product's meat content before determining a final rating.
The dashboard displays a dry matter protein reading of 30%, a fat level of 18% and an estimated carbohydrate content of 44%.
As a group, the brand features an average protein content of 31% and an average fat level of 17%. Together, these figures suggest an overall carbohydrate content of 44% for the full product line.
Average protein. Average fat. And near-average carbohydrates… when compared to a typical dry dog food.
Yet when you consider the plant-based protein-boosting effect of the corn gluten meal, this is the profile of a kibble containing only a modest amount of meat.
What's worse, it's difficult to ignore the unusual abundance of Red Flag items.
Bottom line?
Purina Pro Plan is primarily a grain-based dry dog food using only a fair amount of chicken, beef or lamb as its main sources of animal protein… thus earning the brand two stars.
Not recommended.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
You should switch to a grain free food and see if that helps. I also recommend giving fish oil and vitamin e, as they are good for the coat.

NON GRAIN FOODS (BEST)

* Orijen
* Taste of the Wild
* Blue Buffalo Wilderness

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
we feed orijen and love it our dogs have never had any issues and have great coats , but i think out of that list lauren posted the orijen is the most expensive,they make another food thats high grade as well called acana, same company as orijen but a bit cheaper. Id try a different food it isnt always easy and its trial and error sometimes. love your dog h is very handsome , hope you get it figured out soon :) Theres another member on here who said she had major issues with allergies until she went raw as well , what were you feeding when you fed him raw? from what I understand its pretty complex and more then just 1 source so you might find that he likes something else then hat he was offered before ? theres a good section on raw would be worth reading through :) good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks lauren u make me feel like kicking myself in the ass lol. I'm definitely switching it up tomorrow. As far as what i was feeding him raw just chicken by itself. i will look into the raw food section thanks! I'm taking him to a new vet tomorrow and hopefully the last one because i really cant afford taking him so frequently. i will let u guys know what i hear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys by the way i did try feeding him raw but he just wouldnt eat the chicken or beef liver he hated it and he got really skinny from not eating

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
See what you learned already?? Lol! You take him off the bad food filled with bad things and put him on a higher quality human grade food you will probably see great results very fast! Vets have little to know education on dog foods and most of them push science diet, eukanuba, and Iams which are crappy foods. Your boy could have allergies to the grains or some other filler in the pro plan. Let's us know how it goes. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,652 Posts
Nu Stock would probably help his hair grow back.
Definitely get a better food for him.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i have tried nustock doesnt work. it gave me a really bad allergic reaction too. i just came back from the new vet they are going to check his thyroid and he had a lot of yeast on his skin. i'm definitely changing the food but not raw, i'm going to check out tast of the wild food see how that goes.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
i have tried nustock doesnt work. it gave me a really bad allergic reaction too. i just came back from the new vet they are going to check his thyroid and he had a lot of yeast on his skin. i'm definitely changing the food but not raw, i'm going to check out tast of the wild food see how that goes.
Good deal. Keep us posted. Yeast is a major issue in a lot of dogs. Kangol used to have awful yeast problems.

Check out these threads on the thyroid.
Keep us posted!

Thyroid
Hypothyroidism

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey lauren so mak got his thyroid results back and they are pretty low. i guess that was the problem just wanted to let u know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey lauren mak got his thyroid test back and its pretty low, just wanted to let u know.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
I hope you are still changing his food because diet will be a big factor for him with the issues he is having. Glad you got some answers :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts