Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Layla's been moppy lately and her trainer has caught on to it during her puppy class. Layla is constantly wanting to be on my lap or between my legs. My trainer says she has been babied and has little independence. She said not to let her on my lap anymore and absolutely no nap time with me!

Do you think this is from bringing the foster into my home?

Also how do I help her gain her independence and confidence?

·
Registered
386 Posts
My stepmom has something like that going on with her yorkie. She has spoiled Tia so rotten that she doesn't know how to do anything, doesn't listen to anything, thinks my mom stepmom is hers, etc... No lap and nap time seems like some good advice. Its weird because stuff like that takes away her independence, yet she also thinks she owns you. If you don't nurture her independence and let her nap with you, be on your lap and generally pamper her, you will become the center of her attention, but in a bad way. She will only want to follow you and won't care to be trained or do anything because she's too concerned about what your doing. Trust me, you don't want Layla to end up like Tia. Tia can not be taught anything. She's too sensitive and too needy and its from my stepmom babying her and letting her do whatever she wants. I would get on top of this. Do whatever the trainer says. Hopefully that kind of helped:).

·
Banned
2,128 Posts
it could be the foster... Depriving your dog of affection doesn't sound like the right course of action. Personally I never let the dogs climb into my lap so I wouldn't know about that. Grizz is slightly more aloof since maverick got here but it hasn't really affected his training. During puppy class you should make your pup obey while she is sitting. Practicing a sit or a down while you are learning instead of letting her climb into your lap or crawl under your legs.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
I would give her more to do and make her feel proud of it. Even you praising her for destroying her toy makes her feel good. Playing lots of games and doing alot of activities that you can reward her for and make her feel like she is doing some thing special and good can help. Bringing things back to you obeying commands any thing like that can help build her self esteem so to say.Make her feel like a big girl. This can also help with overly submissive dogs.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I would give her more to do and make her feel proud of it. Even you praising her for destroying her toy makes her feel good. Playing lots of games and doing alot of activities that you can reward her for and make her feel like she is doing some thing special and good can help. Bringing things back to you obeying commands any thing like that can help build her self esteem so to say.Make her feel like a big girl. This can also help with overly submissive dogs.
:goodpost:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My stepmom has something like that going on with her yorkie. She has spoiled Tia so rotten that she doesn't know how to do anything, doesn't listen to anything, thinks my mom stepmom is hers, etc... No lap and nap time seems like some good advice. Its weird because stuff like that takes away her independence, yet she also thinks she owns you. If you don't nurture her independence and let her nap with you, be on your lap and generally pamper her, you will become the center of her attention, but in a bad way. She will only want to follow you and won't care to be trained or do anything because she's too concerned about what your doing. Trust me, you don't want Layla to end up like Tia. Tia can not be taught anything. She's too sensitive and too needy and its from my stepmom babying her and letting her do whatever she wants. I would get on top of this. Do whatever the trainer says. Hopefully that kind of helped:).
Believe it or not this sounds very much like the relationship between Layla and I except she still obeys commands and is learning new things. My trainer described it the same way. She is needy of me yet she is also dominating me at the same time!

Thats some good advice also American Pit - I have been taking Layla to play at the park 1 on 1 without the foster also.....is that a good idea to let her know she stills gets some 1 on 1 with me and the foster is not taking all her attention?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts