Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first one is from when we first got her,so you can compare without having to go back and find the other thread.
She's still very skinny but as you can see she's no where near as bad as she was.
I haven't been able to take her to the vet yet for her skin,as some problems have risen up here and money was needed elsewhere for an emergency.Which is also why I haven't had her nails clipped yet.I'm to scared of doing them myself for fear of hurting her.
The hubby was a no go with satin balls so I've just been mixing in several different things in her food such as rice,different meats I've cooked for supper,cottage cheese,yogurt,egg.They seem to be working well with her weight.Her stools are firm and there hasn't been any vomiting at all.
Thanks Shana also for the info on what to get for her.I'm sorry I never had the chance to call you.But like I said stuff here got really hard and hectic really fast.
Oh yeah,these pics were also taken on Monday,so she's even a little bit more meatier since these.

Attachments

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
Don't sweat it girl, don't hesitate to call if you need/want to. Life happens, family and finances get out of control unexpectedly and fast. I see she's on track and is improving :D I would expect any sort of regular feeding would help her in her situation. Did she get wormed yet? If not, please let me know and I'll see what i can do to get you some wormer.

Reactions: dixieland

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Hey Dixie what's the story on this one? Did you get her from a shelter? That is so sad poor baby... I am sure with a little TLC she will be better in no time it only took AVA about 2-3 months to fully recover so you can do it!!! If you need any help let me know I will do anything I can to help you out;) Thanks for giving this one a loving home. Happy New Year!!!

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Poor girl she still is so skinny but has put on some weight. I am sure given more time she wll be fat in no time. Is she itchy for the skin condition? If so you might try rubbing Aloa lotion ( you can get in the horse section of a feed store) into her skin it might help.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't sweat it girl, don't hesitate to call if you need/want to. Life happens, family and finances get out of control unexpectedly and fast. I see she's on track and is improving :D I would expect any sort of regular feeding would help her in her situation. Did she get wormed yet? If not, please let me know and I'll see what i can do to get you some wormer.
I'm actually heading out to tractor Supply tomorrow to get the wormer.It just figures that I used up the last of mine like a week before I got Hera.I have a few dollars I can spend.But thank you so much Shana!Your knowledge and info has been a godsend.
Hey Dixie what's the story on this one? Did you get her from a shelter? That is so sad poor baby... I am sure with a little TLC she will be better in no time it only took AVA about 2-3 months to fully recover so you can do it!!! If you need any help let me know I will do anything I can to help you out;) Thanks for giving this one a loving home. Happy New Year!!!
Thanks Tara (if I may call you that,and you can call me Lisa),Happy New Year to you and yours too!
My brother in law found her roaming the streets and gave her to me to try to get better.So this sweet little gal took up my extra dog spot that I was gonna use to get a wp dog.But I don't regret it all.She's turning out to be quite a good dog.:)

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Poor girl she still is so skinny but has put on some weight. I am sure given more time she wll be fat in no time. Is she itchy for the skin condition? If so you might try rubbing Aloa lotion ( you can get in the horse section of a feed store) into her skin it might help.
I hadn't thought of aloe.I done the whole oatmeal shampoo bath thing which doesn't seem to be helping.
I'm seriously thinking about just going outside of my vet and calling around to find one that takes payments.I know I can afford everything in a week or two,but I don't want her to wait any longer.It's just finding one that I don't already have a relationship with that will trust me to make those payments.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
That's awesome and yes you can call me Tara .. Lisa she looks to have a lot of hair missing around her face and legs ... It appears she may have mange have you started her on any antibiotics yet? It took Ava a good 2 weeks to really pick up an appetite she had a bit of one but not much. But I always left access to fresh food and water and she began to really pick up weight after finishing her antibiotics which she was on for a good 2 weeks. You will want to deworm her as well to get rid of any internal parasites that would prevent her from putting on weight. I used Panacur C 3 doses which will get rid of all worms and then followed up Nemex2. I don't know when you will be able to take her to the vet I am certain they will do a skin scrape though because of the hair loss. You can treat mange at home but you should get the Heart Worm Test done prior to starting her on Ivermectin. I hope she begins to feel well soon ;)

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's awesome and yes you can call me Tara .. Lisa she looks to have a lot of hair missing around her face and legs ... It appears she may have mange have you started her on any antibiotics yet? It took Ava a good 2 weeks to really pick up an appetite she had a bit of one but not much. But I always left access to fresh food and water and she began to really pick up weight after finishing her antibiotics which she was on for a good 2 weeks. You will want to deworm her as well to get rid of any internal parasites that would prevent her from putting on weight. I used Panacur C 3 doses which will get rid of all worms and then followed up Nemex2. I don't know when you will be able to take her to the vet I am certain they will do a skin scrape though because of the hair loss. You can treat mange at home but you should get the Heart Worm Test done prior to starting her on Ivermectin. I hope she begins to feel well soon ;)
That's what i was figuring too,was that she had mange.I haven't started on antibiotics yet.When this family emergency arose I had enough money to either stock up on plenty of food for her or go to the vet.So I choose the food because that was her most obvious need.I figured the skin could wait a tiny bit.
I'm going to get the wormer tomorrow at Tractor Supply.
Thanks for the kind words!;)

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Wow, Lisa! I totally missed the other thread about this beauty! I'm so glad you took her in and are doing everything you can to save her! Keep up the great work, and it will return to you 10 fold!

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
That's what i was figuring too,was that she had mange.I haven't started on antibiotics yet.When this family emergency arose I had enough money to either stock up on plenty of food for her or go to the vet.So I choose the food because that was her most obvious need.I figured the skin could wait a tiny bit.
I'm going to get the wormer tomorrow at Tractor Supply.
Thanks for the kind words!;)
The wormer and the Antibiotics are the most important thing right now. If you can order her some Fish Flex (Cephlexian) That is going to be important to treat any secondary infection brought on by the scratching of the skin. I suspect she is probably 40 lbs ... Based on her weight she can take 10-15 mg per pound and it comes in 250mg and 500mg every 8-12 hours. Here is a link to purchase it but you want to get her on them ASAP. The aloe like sharon said will help sooth the itching and is much better IMO than oatmeal.

Fish Flex Cephalexin - 250 mg 100 capsules | Pet Supplies, Horse Supplies, Dog Supplies | KVsupply.com

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, Lisa! I totally missed the other thread about this beauty! I'm so glad you took her in and are doing everything you can to save her! Keep up the great work, and it will return to you 10 fold!
Thank ya girl!I'm trying despite my many set backs I'm experiencing.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The wormer and the Antibiotics are the most important thing right now. If you can order her some Fish Flex (Cephlexian) That is going to be important to treat any secondary infection brought on by the scratching of the skin. I suspect she is probably 40 lbs ... Based on her weight she can take 10-15 mg per pound and it comes in 250mg and 500mg every 8-12 hours. Here is a link to purchase it but you want to get her on them ASAP. The aloe like sharon said will help sooth the itching and is much better IMO than oatmeal.

Fish Flex Cephalexin - 250 mg 100 capsules | Pet Supplies, Horse Supplies, Dog Supplies | KVsupply.com
Thanks so much!I will definitely do that!
I don't know what I would do without the knowledgable (sp) people on this site!

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Your welcome she will be like a new dog after 2 weeks on antibiotics ... Can't wait to see her progress and again good job on the rescue :)

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
omg Lisa, she looks soooooo much better, with some of your awesome TLC she will be back to herself in no time, her color looks like my Penny's (RIP). I love her face, she looks so sad yet grateful at the same time. Kepp up the fantatstic work girl. :D I look forward to seeing mor epics of her great progress :D

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
I hadn't thought of aloe.I done the whole oatmeal shampoo bath thing which doesn't seem to be helping.
I'm seriously thinking about just going outside of my vet and calling around to find one that takes payments.I know I can afford everything in a week or two,but I don't want her to wait any longer.It's just finding one that I don't already have a relationship with that will trust me to make those payments.
Aloe's great just be careful with any kind of bottled kind you buy. Most bottled aloe is dilluted w/ Alcohol which won't help her dry skin issue & burn. Try to look for any topical product that's alcohol free.

Fresh aloe is the best way to go & you could try baby oil or mineral oil too. :)

(fair skin florida girl here :D)

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Tye!Her personality is finally starting to come out.She seems to be a sweet gal and is great with the kids so far.I can't wait to see her all better!

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Aloe's great just be careful with any kind of bottled kind you buy. Most bottled aloe is dilluted w/ Alcohol which won't help her dry skin issue & burn.

Fresh aloe is the best way to go & you could try baby oil or mineral oil too. :)
Ok thanks for the info!:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts