Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
here are before and after pics of my dogs ear cropping. its all about personal preferance. I just think pits/bullies look good with a nice crop. The fawn one is my male Ziggy. The blue one is my female Kai Kai. Tell me what yall think and maybe you can post some of your before and after pics of crops.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
i like crop better too, they both look much better cropped IMO. but that is just personal prefrence.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
I prefer natural, but I won't turn down a good crop job if a dog has it. I can admire a clean cut. :)

I think it depends on how the ears end up falling too. Of course, by the time they settle into their normal position, it's usually too late to crop. Kane's ears didn't fall into their rose prick until he was almost a year old. They were just like your pups before that.

·
hrmph
5,349 Posts
I think both look great with their crops, and I think Ziggy's crop looks really great on him also

Here is my man Ozai before his crop

and now, he is 6 months old

ozai prob would have been fine with his ears but i am glad i got them cropped, i love his look

·
Registered
274 Posts
Agreed to the whole personal preferance thing- to each his own, right?
Therefore, personally.............

I prefer the crop! The cheekbones on any pit/ bully type dog makes them look almost regal, and the ears to me are just way too distracting. They take the focus away from the cheeks and eyes. There's just somthing beautiful about a good crop.

What style of crop did you have done? I can see the bell on the blue, but I'm not sure about your brown pup. I'm getting my pups ears done in a couple of weeks and could sure use some info. What was your experience like? Recovery time? Pointers, etc?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Agreed to the whole personal preferance thing- to each his own, right?
Therefore, personally.............

I prefer the crop! The cheekbones on any pit/ bully type dog makes them look almost regal, and the ears to me are just way too distracting. They take the focus away from the cheeks and eyes. There's just somthing beautiful about a good crop.

What style of crop did you have done? I can see the bell on the blue, but I'm not sure about your brown pup. I'm getting my pups ears done in a couple of weeks and could sure use some info. What was your experience like? Recovery time? Pointers, etc?
The blue one has the short crop. The fawn one has a show crop. Be prepared for a lot of after care. When my dogs got there ears done they were wrapped up. 5 days later the wraps came off. After another 5 days the stitches came out. All this while giving meds everyday for two weeks. Then give or take about two more weeks for the scabs to fall off (don't take off any scabs let them fall off) and swelling to go down. So about a month for everything to be done.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Cropping is a personal preference and is just that.. Personally i like my hound to have natural ears.. Gives more character and sense of completion.. I'd probably crop if i showed dogs but i don't..

So i'd keep them natural but hey you are the one feeding your hounds so as long as you aren't doing some home BS job..

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Cropping is a personal preference and is just that.. Personally i like my hound to have natural ears.. Gives more character and sense of completion.. I'd probably crop if i showed dogs but i don't..

So i'd keep them natural but hey you are the one feeding your hounds so as long as you aren't doing some home BS job..
lol exactly!! the home BS jobs make me cringe!

I love the expression I get with my pup and its not only due to his ears but its a huge part. I could not imagine him without them, lol. I don't see putting them through the pain just cause I liked a look, personally. Of course if you want to show and the ears are loopy weirdo ears I can see why you would want to. if your not showing I personally don't see a point. To each their own. :)

·
Registered
816 Posts
idk, maybe i get booed for saying this....and dont get me wrong i love the cropped look....but how does cropping the ears serve the dog?

not trying to thread jack but we cut 2 parts of their bodies off for our vanity.....the dog doesnt care about the look.

how is that not animal cruelty? because they were asleep?

sorry but ill go against the grain on this and say openly that cropping ears is a purely a selfish act and not ethical/moral thing to do. but of course this is counting that we say we LOVE our dogs.

i feel that is the direction our dogs should head in, so i had to voice this.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
I think they look good, I like the crop on both of them. :thumbsup:
Kai Kai's crop looks a little shorter, maybe just the pics?

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
they look good. I've had both cropped & natural. I don't really think i have a specific preference, just depends on the dog. When i had my ukc show dogs, ears were cropped by the breeder i got them from, since i had them on a co-own contract. My pup i've got now, i own outright but the breeder & i are in agreement to leave her ears natural because they're just so darn cute! I believe they'll stay the way they are, or end up rose or half prick like the standard calls for. If they go batty, that's no biggy. Here's a shot of her from my phone. *not thread-jacking, just sharing lol*

Attachments

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
idk, maybe i get booed for saying this....and dont get me wrong i love the cropped look....but how does cropping the ears serve the dog?

not trying to thread jack but we cut 2 parts of their bodies off for our vanity.....the dog doesnt care about the look.

sorry but ill go against the grain on this and say openly that cropping ears is a purely a selfish act and not ethical/moral thing to do. but of course this is counting that we say we LOVE our dogs.

I pretty much agree. Most people who seem to do it in the hood are trying to make the dog look tougher. Reminds me of guys who wear cut off shirts and puff their chests out. If you gotta pose to show toughness, it pretty much isn't there.

·
Registered
816 Posts
i know this, and im not judging. i tried cropping my lil guy's ears when he was 10 weeks . but (he was out of state) i told the breeder to watch him while under and if any signs of adverse reaction to anesthesia to abort....well sure as **** he started having irregular breathing.....and she said had her been her dog she woulda went ahead , but because it was mine she aborted. i said 4get it.....(i was torn about the decision so i was almost grateful when i felt it was unsafe) .....so im not judging....i have just had time to think about it....and realize that how can i say i love Samson and cut his hears off for my pleasure.

the hod stuff is 100% correct .....i live in Paramount CA (1 city over from compton)......its why I bought my dog from PA and flew him back with me on a trip.

anyways.....the dogs look awesome cropped...there s no denying it.....let s just think about this by ourselves looking at our dogs for a second and thats it.

sorry again for the speech, ......beautiful dogs , ..... i love every pitbull i see here

·
Registered
274 Posts
The blue one has the short crop. The fawn one has a show crop. Be prepared for a lot of after care. When my dogs got there ears done they were wrapped up. 5 days later the wraps came off. After another 5 days the stitches came out. All this while giving meds everyday for two weeks. Then give or take about two more weeks for the scabs to fall off (don't take off any scabs let them fall off) and swelling to go down. So about a month for everything to be done.
Thanks for the reply- I appreciate it. I actually over estimated healing time cos I wasn't sure. One month sounds great. But I also know every scenario is different and am planning on being prepared and well- educated before I send my boy in.

That being said: I have heard that pits don't always do well under anaestetic and would also abort in the case of even the smallest complication. Not trying to prove anything by having it done. I would just rather have them done in case I show him.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
I would personally only do it on even a show dog if he/she had a poor ear set and I wanted to hide it. Not worth the risk otherwise. I'm not big on putting dogs under for cosmetic reasons and crops are pretty involved/long surgeries performed on young pups, they are under a LONG time

·
Registered
27 Posts

It is not in my case. My dog at 8ms old started to have many ear infections and my vet sent me to a vet after trying everything to help him. He had ears that flopped forward so any wet caused him issues. The vet said he wanted to crop them to see if that will help him out. So I did it. Two weeks latter he had no issues and has not had them after that! So I now think every APBT/Bully that has ears flopping forward should get them done so they don't have the pain my dog did.

·
End-F0rum-Communism
717 Posts

Actually they use to serve a purpose. The old game-fighting dogs had their ears cropped because it was something the other dog could have held on too if he bit the ear. Its like a girl fight, a bald one, and a the one with long hair. Guess whos going to get their hair pulled?

Another purpose is for guard dogs and hunting dogs. Such as the doberman have their ears and tail docked because they would be prone to getting grabbed by the intruder, if attacked.

For hunting dogs, dogs that hunt boar and such, serve for safety purpose. Such as a horn being latched on them.

Some herding dogs have their ears cropped for hearing purposes, to better pin point sound.

Not to mention floppy ears can trap debris, and retain moisture.

Then there is for appearance. Would you take a dude who is ripped full of muscle seriously when he talks like mickey mouse? In this cause, Pitbulls get this procedure done to give them a tougher look.

Not to mention humans do it too, look at all the plastic surgery people get now a days.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Actually they use to serve a purpose. The old game-fighting dogs had their ears cropped because it was something the other dog could have held on too if he bit the ear. Its like a girl fight, a bald one, and a the one with long hair. Guess whos going to get their hair pulled?
Old school dogs rarely had cropped ears. When I thought I was gonna get into the sport 25 years ago I was told that you'd rather have the other dog just chewing on an ear as it doesn't do any damage as opposed to chewing on a nose or burying into the chest. Eventually when the ears got torn apart, they cropped some to even out the look.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts