Go Pitbull Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
I understand and that's personally why I won't crop my dog's ears, beyond the fact that I just like the way they look naturally.

I only took issue with them saying it was abusive. Abuse, IMO, is something that is done without concern for the health of whatever is being abused and is often systematic and on-going. Which is not the case of cropping.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
YOu can have animal population control by being responsible no need to spay or neuter { not saying i disagree with spay neuter, but its a valid arguement if thats the response you have to justify removing organs for reproduction. Could be the same argument no? what if someone where to neuter you without consent , everyone wants to argue ethics and morals but when it suits you you justify it and when you dont its abuse}. Reality is its personal prefrence and to each there own , we just should be more mature then to throw words out there on here like those who crop are guilty of " animal abuse" ect ect. What ever happened to the phrase if you cant say anything nice dont say anything at all. And to my spike collar LOL I like it and again personal preference,I hardly think it makes him look meaner they are very small spikes I have seen bigger ones on a min pin lol. But again to each there own.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I understand and that's personally why I won't crop my dog's ears, beyond the fact that I just like the way they look naturally.

I only took issue with them saying it was abusive. Abuse, IMO, is something that is done without concern for the health of whatever is being abused and is often systematic and on-going. Which is not the case of cropping.
:goodpost:

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
well, i'm not going to sit here and say anybody is right or wrong for their beliefs, as everyone is entitled to their own opinion. However, this topic has been discussed numerous times, same argument, just different people posting. Point being, the OP started this thread to show off his/her dog and how well the job turned out. I won't venture to say that we're straying off topic here, but we're getting away from the original point of the thread. Let's please keep it civil, and if anyone wants to further argue their beliefs as to what's right and wrong with cropping a dog's ears, docking tails, spaying/neutering, etc., please take it to PMs and away from this thread. Thank you for your cooperation and assistance in this matter.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Lots of people like crops and would never fight their dog. I don't think they I hand in hand and I have met a lot of people who just prefer the look and that's totally their choice. They are able to justify the crop to their personal preference and they feed their dog so they should be able to crop if that's what's they like. I don't like the way the head looks with a crop and others DO like the way a head looks with one. It's really to each their own but bringing fighting dogs into this kinda bothers me since I know a lot of people on here and in life who would never fight but chose to chop the ears. Doesn't make them bad people just a different approach to then end result a good looking pup. I'm not gonna lie I do wonder how they can't feel terrible about doing it lol. Even for a little while lol.
I admit it I felt horrible when I got my 1st dogs ears done. 2nd time around with my other dog I didn't feel so bad. Lol tough love.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I'm pretty offended by people assuming that because I got my dog's ears cropped that I don't love my dog as much or that he has been abused. I would most definitely say that I love my dog way more than the majority of the population that owns this breed and i'm just saying, wow you guys. outta here.
i will attest that you def love your dogs!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Humboldt Pit Bulls stud LB.jpg

View attachment 11068

View attachment 11069
in the end we can argue all we want, ..... what gives us the right to cut pieces of an animal we say we love....would we do that to our children? ....if a dogs ears are uneven then accept that as you would if he/she had a less than decent conformation....you wouldnt break her bones and extend them to make the dog taller and more square.....

i know its an exaggeration but i love my dog....and believe me i am not judging ...last week i asked a friend to photshop my dog with ears cropped because i wanted to see how he would look.

but at the end of the day those ears are full of expression and they should ban cropped ears at shows. that simple.

and i dont need to see what is done to stand firm on my belief that we do not have the right to do that to our beloved companions.

but i dont look down on cropping....i just know in my heart its wrong.

edit*****

oh and to add, yes i do think its cruel to neuter one s own dog . i have never done that to male nor females ..... is it that hard to control ones dog from getting pregnant or impregnating other dogs? im 39 and its never happened to me....and i know zilch about dogs. but to me they are like children....u gotta always watch em.

i have my own beliefs, ....i am sure most wont agree but i wanted a dog....not a hairy human with 4 legs.... so to me i try to let him be as much of a dog as he can be, if he jumps on the couch....well good for you Samson. I dont teach him to sit because he already knows how to sit...when he wants to sit he does.

i can take him without a leash and he obeys "come here" "stop" "no" "treat" (usually to persuade him when he is being extra stubborn) ......when i walk him i let him pull as hard as he wants...not sure why that is undesired ....because maybe then he thinks he s the alpha??? i have never hit my dog, i have yelled at it 2-3 times and i regret doing it because i saw fear....and i rather see obedience from me being consistent when i ask him to do something. and he obeys all of my commands that i only use for HIS safety.

i take him to work 2 days a week ....everyone is in love with him....i mean everyone that he sees he rushes and makes a friend immediately......

i think we should leave these animals be like god made them and we work extra hard instead of doing physical stuff to them because its simpler and more convenient.

i have my views...oh well
I do not crop my dogs ears. I think the cropped ears may look good on the American Bully (and UKC dogs), but not so good on the game bred APBT. I do not like them myself for many reasons. It helps the Bully look more like a watch dog, so it may help the owners feel safe with their 100 lb. Bull Dog.

Ban?
Laws, laws, laws.
Its a slippery slope.
The same people who dedicate their life to "saving Pit Bulls" are helping make them disappear in a pure bred form.
Example. Pit Bull rescue groups commonly want mandatory spay laws. The American Dog Breeders Association and myself are against laws like that. The rights being taken away from Americans are a slippery slope to BSL (ear crop laws included). Keep your laws off my dogs LOL.

The photos are of Papa L.B. and his son Cutter who lives in B.C..

·
Gotta Love Them Red Dogs!
487 Posts
I personally love natural ears,
I see no reason to crop a dog unless showing.

I love O'Malley's ears.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
You two have some nice natural dogs. You both have great views and definitely no laws should stop you from doing what you want. We have too many laws now!

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Have you been through a crop with your dog? to comment about how long a surgery it is seems absurd to me. Its actually a very quick procedure, i usually have my dogs back after about 4 hours and that from drop off to pick up. a spay neuter surgery is usually over night and alot more invasive. the ear is only cartilage a spay neuter is alot more invsive and involves cuting into your dog. have you ever had a fixed dog?
I used to work at a vets, I've seen plenty of crops done, as well as spay/neuters. They are under a while for spay/neuter surgeries as well. Those, generally, dogs are a bit (or a lot older) though. All I said was it was not a risk I would take on my pup for a purely cosmetic procedure. That's just MY opinion and not one I am trying to force on anyone else. Have you ever watched a crop surgery? It's not quick, and anytime you put an animal under for anesthesia there are risks. One has to acknowledge those risks, even if you then choose to take them. As long as you are making an informed decision, that's all one can ask.
I now get dogs spayed or neutered for rescue and they are good to go as soon as the anesthesia wears off. Hell, we do mobile spay/neuters at shot fairs and the owners have their dogs back in just a couple hours. I've never left a pet overnight for spay/neuter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hmm, so people who have their sons circumcised or daughters ears pierced don't love their children....Interesting how you guys have it all figured out. Sounds hypocritical to me.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Let me just say: .....................

ANGELBABY YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!

Reactions: angelbaby

·
Registered
274 Posts
Another thing:...........

We live in a day and age where surgeries are safer than ever. If people feel it is ok to have cosmetic surgery on themselves- why is it so bad when we have it done to pets?

If you want to take up a cause- fight against child abuse or domestic violence! That is true abuse!
I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but I get so peeved when people fight and stand up for the animals, especially when the owners clearly love them- but let those same people see or hear of a beaten child or mistreated wife' they simply say: "oh, I hope someone does something!".

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
well, i'm not going to sit here and say anybody is right or wrong for their beliefs, as everyone is entitled to their own opinion. However, this topic has been discussed numerous times, same argument, just different people posting. Point being, the OP started this thread to show off his/her dog and how well the job turned out. I won't venture to say that we're straying off topic here, but we're getting away from the original point of the thread. Let's please keep it civil, and if anyone wants to further argue their beliefs as to what's right and wrong with cropping a dog's ears, docking tails, spaying/neutering, etc., please take it to PMs and away from this thread. Thank you for your cooperation and assistance in this matter.
Everyone has been told once by a moderator to stop this. This thread is not for your opinion of whether it is cruel or not. If you don't like it go start your own thread and if anyone cares what you think they will post there.

Every post that follows this and decides they don't have to listen and can do what they want will get a 1 week ban. You have been told once by a moderator LEARN TO LISTEN.

Reactions: redog

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
thank you for watching this thread Holly. Had some stuff to take care of on my only day off during the week. To the OP, thank you for sharing your opinion & photos.

Reactions: redog
41 - 57 of 57 Posts