Go Pitbull Forums banner

Herm sprenger quick release collar

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  ThaLadyPit 
#1 ·
I purchased one of these since the collar from petco is cheap and the chrome finish rubs off on my dogs neck making her look dirty.

I got the quick release mostly so my mother can put it on easily for walks and she can't walk the dog without the prong due to pulling and a bad back.

Anyway, the quick release doesn't inspire confidence. Does anyone have one? Does it stay on? It just seems like a hard pull from the dog would make it open....

check it out:
Leerburg | Prong Collars and Fur Saver Collars

hmm, if you scroll down there is a different version that seems a lot better than the regular clip...

#2 ·
I like my sprenger pinches... I don't have any issues with them at all, i don't have the quick release though... I think you may have gotten a defective one for it to rub off on them.

#3 ·
I personally do not like any quick release collars. The prong one is not as bad as some of the other quick release collars though.

Don't take this the worng way....but a prong collar is not meant to leave on a dog all of the time. So, it should not rub off on them. It should mainly be used for training or when supervised, if you leave them on a dog 24-7, it can catch on a crate or fence and strangle them. I have seen it happen twice.

#4 ·
I personally do not like any quick release collars. The prong one is not as bad as some of the other quick release collars though.

Don't take this the worng way....but a prong collar is not meant to leave on a dog all of the time. So, it should not rub off on them. It should mainly be used for training or when supervised, if you leave them on a dog 24-7, it can catch on a crate or fence and strangle them. I have seen it happen twice.
Good point beth, I didn't really think about it... it very well could be because he's leaving it on too long. I only put the pinch on my dogs when they are working or going for a walk.

#5 ·
The sprenger doesn't rub off, I haven't tried it on even. The reason I bought it is because of the rubbing off from the cheaper prong collar.

With the sprenger I was just concerned about the quick release, just wondering how "tough" it is.

I only use the prong when I go for longer walks with the dog or take her to new places. It has been great with helping her work on a leash and I have been slowly removing it from our walks. my mother uses it because she doesn't even tug with it on and it helps her with her bad back and pulling, plus she is tiny.

It's never on at home. It's only on during walks while she is on leash with us. I take it off if I let her off leash always because of the same concerns above.

I even take the regular collar off at night and during the day when Sasha is in her crate, she sleeps nekkid!

#6 ·
The sprenger doesn't rub off, I haven't tried it on even. The reason I bought it is because of the rubbing off from the cheaper prong collar.

With the sprenger I was just concerned about the quick release, just wondering how "tough" it is.

I only use the prong when I go for longer walks with the dog or take her to new places. It has been great with helping her work on a leash and I have been slowly removing it from our walks. my mother uses it because she doesn't even tug with it on and it helps her with her bad back and pulling, plus she is tiny.

It's never on at home. It's only on during walks while she is on leash with us. I take it off if I let her off leash always because of the same concerns above.

I even take the regular collar off at night and during the day when Sasha is in her crate, she sleeps nekkid!
Wow I completely misread your original post lol. I'm sorry I couldn't help ya, sprenger is the best IMO... it didn't look like on the leerber site that it got great reviews for reliability.

#8 ·
I used to have the collar shown in your picture and it used to come off ALL the time, it is not tough at all, if they pull and you go to correct it the collar "quickly releases" off... I use the prong collars that slip over the head at least you know its in one piece when you put it on them, not two :)

But the 2nd quick release looks ALOT stronger then the first.

#9 ·
I used to have the collar shown in your picture and it used to come off ALL the time, it is not tough at all, if they pull and you go to correct it the collar "quickly releases" off... I use the prong collars that slip over the head at least you know its in one piece when you put it on them, not two :)

But the 2nd quick release looks ALOT stronger then the first.
Quick release can be dangerous because they release but most the time when you have a normal prong collar they come apart because they are not fitted correctly. If you can slip the prong over the head or it hangs down on the neck it has too many links and you run the risk of them coming apart. A prong collar with the proper fit stays right under the neck and does not hang down. Here is how to fit a collar properly and it also shows how to use a slip chain as a back method so you do not lose your dog.

Having the collar that fits correctly can make a stronger correction on your dog so you may have to use it on a dead ring. This article has pictures and explains all that. For anyone using a prong or thinking of using one this is the best article to explain the usage and proper fit.
How to fit a Prong Collar

#11 ·
Joh, I believe I recommended the HS quick release pinch. I never had any problems with mine, it never released by accident or anything. I guess it just depends on what you're comfortable with. Please keep us posted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.