Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to stop in and say hi, found my pit when she was about 5 weeks old on the side of the street. Took her in and have been extremely happy with her so far she is about 6 months now. I have thought about going out and adopting another pit to keep her company while I am at work.

This breed has really made an impact on my life and It's sad to see half the shelter in my city is full of them.

Unfortunately she was attacked about a week ago by a neighbors pit who is not properly trained, and had to have her left eye removed, fortunately she is still with me and I'm looking forward to her rapid recovery so that we can continue to enjoy each others company.

Just out of curiosity, anyone else here have a pit missing an eye due to an unfortunate event?

Here's some older, recent, and current pics. Keep in mind the last two pics are somewhat graphic!

Here she is sleeping when I first found her. Enjoying a crate to call her own:

These next two pics are extremely heartbreaking:

After she was attacked, the iris in her eye was actually protruding from a small puncture:

After her surgery:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Welcome to the site and I'm very sorry to hear and see about that :( poor girl also please read up on the breed most don't do well with a companion dog and prefer just human interaction! ;) If you have any questions we are all here to help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the site and I'm very sorry to hear and see about that :( poor girl also please read up on the breed most don't do well with a companion dog and prefer just human interaction! ;) If you have any questions we are all here to help!
Thanks alot!

I have read quite a bit about the breed, and I might just want to stop going to the shelter because it's so sad that there are 100s of these guys there and then you look on Craigslist and see people buying/selling them.

:(

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Hi Trenium. Sorry to hear about your accident :(. Welcome to GP.

I'm not going to tell you what to do in your own home but please do your homework before getting another dog. As PMP says, your existing dog will probably be happier on her own with just you for company.

I don't mean to put you off getting another dog but be prepared to learn. They don't really keep each other company so much as cause double the trouble.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Welcome!:welcome::welcome::woof::doggy:
Your little baby is adorable! So sorry about her eye! I have a feeling she will adjust fine and will probably surprise you with what she will accomplish! Kangol and I wish her a speedy recovery!! :angel::love2:

I wouldn't recommend getting another dog just to keep her company. I've witnessed firsthand what pit bulls are capable of when left alone in the house and not crated. People have multiple pit bulls harmoniously on this site but before doing anything like that take their advice:
aus_staffy Hi Trenium. Sorry to hear about your accident . Welcome to GP.

I'm not going to tell you what to do in your own home but please do your homework before getting another dog. As PMP says, your existing dog will probably be happier on her own with just you for company.

I don't mean to put you off getting another dog but be prepared to learn. They don't really keep each other company so much as cause double the trouble.
PrairieMoonPits Welcome to the site and I'm very sorry to hear and see about that poor girl also please read up on the breed most don't do well with a companion dog and prefer just human interaction! If you have any questions we are all here to help!
I have multiple pits but my white dog Kangol and his dad Koby do not get along anymore. They used to be best friends but now hate each other so Koby lives with my son's father and Kangol lives with me. Camo (my 2 year old's puppy) is back and forth between our two houses and while she gets along with everyone she also is a mischief maker! :hammer:

I would let little girl adjust to her injuries before deciding to do anything. If you are concerned about her being lonely while at work, leave on Animal Planet for her. My Kangol is often watching it when I get home and I guarantee you your little girl will sleep most of the time you are gone. This is what I always come home to:

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have heard dogs that lose an eye don't have that difficult of a time readjusting- depth perception is usually the extent of their confusion. It is a bigger adjustment for you. Good luck to you both! Look forward to talking with you more!

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
Sorry to hear about your doggy. I am glad she made it out alive. You need to do a lot of reading up on the breed pit dogs are not trained to fight to attack dother dogs. Quite simply some specimens end up exhibiting very strong behavioral traits which they were originally bred for. In this case pit dogs were bred to hunt and kill each other. It is very sad but this is the reality of what you to deal with when getting this breed. Some dogs may get along with each other while others cannot stand the presence of others.

The attack on your poor puppy should be a terrible experience to remind you the history of the breed what they are capable of doing to another dog. I really hope your neighbor was brough to justice and paid for your dog's bills. There are a ton of people here that have dealt with the breed longer than i have been live so feel free to ask questions. I'm glad your puppy made a full recovery .

·
Registered
225 Posts
Poor baby. Im so sorry that happened to her, I hope she feels better soon. As for another dog, I have 3 but its been a very bumpy ride. I have a 6 year old, 2 year old and 1 1/2 year old, so the 6 year old helps me out a lot with the two younger boys but I never leave them out when im not home. I have a feeling by the time my youngest is 3, we may end up having some problems... Good luck with your decision im sorry I couldn't have helped out more..

·
Registered
204 Posts
What a beautiful little girl! Those last two pictures broke my heart :( I'm sure she'll be just as precious as before once everything heals. Also, I think it is great that you rescued her and have been so supportive and loving to her through everything. It shows how good of a person you are!

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
cute pup... sux about the eye... my cousins pups got into something and gouged its cornea recently, my cousin is hoping after the surgery that he isnt blind in that eye .. poor little Chongo

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Welcome, Trinium. I extend my deepest condolences on your lil girl's eye, but I'm sure she'll adjust just fine. It's more of a shock for you than it is for her. As has been previously stated, this breed is not designed to get along with other dogs, so please make sure you do plenty of research before you consider bringing another dog into the home. If you are going to bring another dog into your home, please be sure to do it safely, and keep them safe at all times by crating both of them when you're not home so that no unfortunate accidents occur. There is definitely much to be learned on this board, and we're all glad you decided to join us. Thank you for taking an interest in us, and welcome to the pack! I look forward to interacting with you more in the future.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
wow, what a beautiful girl.
Welcome to the forums! I'm pretty new around here myself, but I think you've found a great place to help you every step of the way with your pup.
I, too, am sorry to hear about her accident, but I'd like to know more, I mean...Did the neighbor pay for the vet bills? Is the dog still around?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unfortunately the dog's owner denied that his dog would do such a thing and refused to pay the bills, I already had problems with my dog i didn't need to have issues with my neighbor; I don't know how long I will be living here and the worst thing you can do is have conflict with someone you will see everyday.

The dog was taken by animal control and I'm doing everything I can to make sure the dog is not given back to my neighbor, rather adopted out to someone who is capable of controlling the dog better. I pray they don't put her down because I can't stand to see any dog, no matter what killed because of an irresponsible owner. (My opinion is even if the dog is aggressive towards other dogs due to no fault of the owner, he should know this and take extra steps to ensure it does not get out and run into someones home!)

Thanks for the comments

Andrew

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Welcome, Trinium. I extend my deepest condolences on your lil girl's eye, but I'm sure she'll adjust just fine. It's more of a shock for you than it is for her. As has been previously stated, this breed is not designed to get along with other dogs, so please make sure you do plenty of research before you consider bringing another dog into the home. If you are going to bring another dog into your home, please be sure to do it safely, and keep them safe at all times by crating both of them when you're not home so that no unfortunate accidents occur. There is definitely much to be learned on this board, and we're all glad you decided to join us. Thank you for taking an interest in us, and welcome to the pack! I look forward to interacting with you more in the future.
If I do decide to adopt another pitbull, he/she too will be crated when i'm away. Currently Lacey is crated when I am not home otherwise my couch will not be in one piece when I get back, that and she thinks she is a cat and gets up on my coffee table, which is not cool, with that in mind anyone know how to get scratches out of a coffee table? lol

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Lol! I've had dogs before that thought they were mountain goats. That's too funny, but I'm glad you take the necessary precautions to protect Lacey and your furniture! That's always a plus!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome!:welcome::welcome::woof::doggy:
Your little baby is adorable! So sorry about her eye! I have a feeling she will adjust fine and will probably surprise you with what she will accomplish! Kangol and I wish her a speedy recovery!! :angel::love2:

I wouldn't recommend getting another dog just to keep her company. I've witnessed firsthand what pit bulls are capable of when left alone in the house and not crated. People have multiple pit bulls harmoniously on this site but before doing anything like that take their advice:

I have multiple pits but my white dog Kangol and his dad Koby do not get along anymore. They used to be best friends but now hate each other so Koby lives with my son's father and Kangol lives with me. Camo (my 2 year old's puppy) is back and forth between our two houses and while she gets along with everyone she also is a mischief maker! :hammer:

I would let little girl adjust to her injuries before deciding to do anything. If you are concerned about her being lonely while at work, leave on Animal Planet for her. My Kangol is often watching it when I get home and I guarantee you your little girl will sleep most of the time you are gone. This is what I always come home to:

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have heard dogs that lose an eye don't have that difficult of a time readjusting- depth perception is usually the extent of their confusion. It is a bigger adjustment for you. Good luck to you both! Look forward to talking with you more!
Kangol is really cute when he is asleep. He also dwarfs my little girl, she is a tiny pit :p

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
:welcome: So sorry to hear about your little girl. She is so adorable. I hope she has a speedy recovery and adjusts well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:welcome: So sorry to hear about your little girl. She is so adorable. I hope she has a speedy recovery and adjusts well.
Thanks so much! Has anyone dealt with enucleation? If so is one of the side effects bleeding from the nose? It's now 2 days after the surgery and her nose is starting to bleed a bit. Last night and this morning. Let me know if you have any insight, i called my vet but i have to wait because he is in surgery atm.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Welcome to the forum!She a beautiful gal despite what happened to her.Poor girl.
I'm not sure on your enucleation question,but am wishing her a speedy recovery!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts